Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP : Group unveils Satan statue design for Oklahoma

Unforgiven

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/religion/satanists-unveil-design-for-okla-capitol-monument/2014/01/06/b9279f50-7719-11e3-a647-a19deaf575b3_story.html

OKLAHOMA CITY — A satanic group unveiled designs Monday for a 7-foot-tall statue of Satan it wants to put at the Oklahoma state Capitol, where a Ten Commandments monument was placed in 2012.

I have to say, when I saw that statue I couldn't help but laugh at the absurdity of it. I realize they're mainly doing this just to annoy people in the Bible Belt but I hope they actually follow through with this. (Though I really don't think they'll fight for long after the state officials stall this)

I don't want them to put the statue up because I think Satanism should be promoted but because I thought it was ridiculous when they put that Ten Commandments statue up on public property and opened themselves up to this kind of thing.

In a ten commandments display, I can see the historical relation to government and law, just like Corinthian columns on many of our governmental buildings reflect the democratic and republican ideas of the ancient Greeks and Romans... Even a cross is a symbol of ancient Roman justice.

Satan and the FSM? Not so much.

Now, if a crucifix was originally displayed in the State Capitol, then they might have a point.

In a ten commandments display, I can see the historical relation to government and law, just like Corinthian columns on many of our governmental buildings reflect the democratic and republican ideas of the ancient Greeks and Romans... Even a cross is a symbol of ancient Roman justice.

I understand where you're going with that but at least half of the Ten Commandments are religious laws and don't have anything to do with law of a government. I really don't think the people who proposed and provided that monument did so to honor the history of government and law so much as they were put there as a statement of their religious beliefs.

I really don't celebrate things like this.

Yeah, the Ten Commandments display was put up specifically because the legislature knew it was the wrong thing to do.

(And the claim of "oh, gee, were honoring it for our history" is a flat out lie, deliberately told with a smirking "see? I can lie and you have to act like I'm being serious" grin.)

BUT, this thing? It's an even worse joke. And a bigger wrong does not make a right.

This kind of openly smug douchebaggery towards their lessers in flyover country is exactly why the heartland holds the opinions they do towards the East Coast.

There is no political statement here, no equal expression under the law, no attempt to even make a subtle comment on religion from those who hold it in contempt, this is as blatantly provocative an insult as could be made to the people of Oklahoma and that is exact what it is for.

There is no political statement here, no equal expression under the law, no attempt to even make a subtle comment on religion from those who hold it in contempt, this is as blatantly provocative an insult as could be made to the people of Oklahoma and that is exact what it is for.

There is a pretty obvious political statement there.  That's the whole point.  In this case they have done it with a sense of humor.

Your last clause applies to the Ten Commandments display as much as it does to the proposed Satanist display.  Both are egregious displays of total contempt for any Oklahoman not sharing the religion selectively promoted by the state.

Both should be banned from the state capitol.

I think he is kinda cute,the kids are a nice touch

Fair point... If the kids are a permanent part of the statue -- say, if there is a fund to pay Oklahoma based child actors to always be climbing around and having fun with the thing during hours when the state capitol is open to visitors, perhaps petting it and tickling its goat ears -- then I guess I'm down with that.

This kind of openly smug douchebaggery towards their lessers in flyover country is exactly why the heartland holds the opinions they do towards the East Coast.

If the folks in the heartland of "real Amuhricuh"had less smug "in yo face wit my religion" in them perhaps those of us on the east and left coasts might not need to do such things.

Here in GA, the DMV started issuing license plates with "In God We Trust" stickers that could optionally be used. Would sincere Muslims be wrong to request they include a version that says Allah instead of God? I intentionally picked Muslims because that would undoubtedly bring the fastest and most vociferous opposition from the knee-jerk far right but in truth, any other faith would work just as well. My point is that those who want to bring back public displays of religion leave out one important point. They don't just want public displays of religion. What they really want is public displays of their religion, nobody else's, because well, those others are false and theirs is the truth.

I think you missed the point.   The point is not contempt toward religion, but frustration at the people who got the government to endorse their one specific religion on government property.     

I think you missed the point.   The point is not contempt toward religion, but frustration at the people who got the government to endorse their one specific religion on government property.     

well the commandments are rather inclusive and hardly one specific religion.....just don't tell the bible thumpers

Archived