Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best hactivism EVAR! Now with MOAR GOATS!

Mad Mike

I've been using Facebook more for my political activism lately and  learning more about how tea party groups are using Facebook. I know... it's been going on for a long time and I'm naive but it's all new to me. 

Anyway I got this link and followed this story:

Right-wing Facebook page openly calls for lynching President Obama

Marmel-Post.png

Of course I  checked out the page with it's bad spelling, grammar, and more insane mems like the one below, and went right to work hammering him as thousands of others apparently have and proudly got myself banned in record time.

1510930_707370619296329_523331762_n.jpg

Now I wish I had taken a before snapshot to go with the aftermath of the glorious hacking that followed:

America the next Generation

1476344_564753223608866_644152482_n.jpg

Of course I still hope he gets a visit from the secret service who then determine that he is clenching his butt and must be a drug mule. ...er... goat.  :)

The fact that you are doing this on Facebook is really sad.  That's a real good way to get some knowledge.

I do always wonder if you think you are a centrist LOL.  I never click on that link, but it's always amused me.

About what? How to lynch the President? I don't need that kind of "knowledge". Facebook and other social media can be a great way to exchange ideas and have legitimate debate about ideas and differences of opinion. However when your so-called ideas amount to little more than hate and threats, I think it's really cool that so many people show up to push back. It kind of shows that we have made some progress and that idiots like this are an ever shrinking minority.

The fact that you are doing this on Facebook is really sad.  That's a real good way to get some knowledge.

I do always wonder if you think you are a centrist LOL.  I never click on that link, but it's always amused me.

The fact that you feel the need to take a personal shot at me in this thread is sad. Along with the fact that you would try to form opinions about my political alignment without having read what I have to say about it.... self imposed ignorance ,pre-judgement, and personal attacks, what a glorious combination. You must be very proud of yourself.

Wait, what?  Is this a serious post?

Here chipwhich, let me help....

The Tao of good government - TheMadCentrist.com - The Tailgate - Extremeskins

The Tao of good government.

In 1967 a young Chinese immigrant revolutionized the world of martial arts and changed the world when he determined that the formal style of Gung Fu he had learned and taught was too rigid to adapt to the fluid dynamics of real world fighting. The man’s name was Bruce Lee, and he named the style he created “Jeet Kun Do” or “the way of the intercepting fist”. It was a name he later came to regret because it implied a specific method to what he conceived as a “style of no style”.

Lee had correctly concluded that the fixed responses of traditional martial arts could not foresee all possible threats and could be easily countered once you knew how your opponent would react to any given situation. He concluded that the fluid and unpredictable nature of combat required and equally fluid approach to fighting. Lee famously said:

“All fixed set patterns are incapable of adaptability or pliability. The truth is outside of all fixed patterns.”

As applied to martial arts, fixed patterns can be seen as the use of a specific stance, block, punch or kick in response to a given action by an opponent. It’s important to understand that the specific technique of existing martial arts were not “wrong”. They often worked quite well when used in response to known or expected techniques by an opponent. They were simply limited. Lee’s solution was to adapt any technique from any style to his own. His only requirement was that the technique work. From boxing to Taekwondo. From Gung Fu to wrestling. Lee saw that each had it’s place in the real world chaos of combat. This may seem like common sense today, but at the time it was considered blasphemy by many practitioners of traditional martial arts.

So what does all of this have to do with good government? I’m sure many of you intuitively know. But for those who’s political leanings border on religious fever for their chosen political party, let me explain.

There is no more direct test of one’s own knowledge and ability than to face a skilled opponent in one on one combat. If you have a weakness or flaw, your opponent *will* find it and use it against you. Often with painful results. Through combat, Lee proved that the open mind, willing to adapt to any method regardless of source will almost always win vs an inflexible system.

The point being that the art of governing a large, complex, modern society is far more complex than the direct nature of hand to hand combat. And if fixed responses to the challenge of relatively simple combat have been proven inferior to the fluid nature of a “style of no style”, what chance does any single rigid ideology have of meeting the myriad of challenges that a society faces?

Virtually all ideologies contain some useful knowledge which can and should be used to address societies problems when and where appropriate. With this understanding, strict adherence to any one ideology is in effect willful ignorance that encourages conflict over cooperation. Taking a lesson from Bruce Lee, what is needed is an ideology of no ideology.

It is long past time that we start treating politics as a science rather than a religion. We must adapt to each new challenge that society faces by matching the dynamic nature of each challenge with a dynamic and flexible approach to finding solutions. Or as Bruce Lee said:

“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless – like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.”

Hey Mad Mike has been on a Facebook mission lately.  If political battles on Facebook are your thing.  :cheers:

Mad Mike you can't band together and change the world by bantering with some house frau's while you sip your craft brew in the evening.

Yeah, none of us would ever waste time on political battles on the internet.   :)

Hey Mad Mike has been on a Facebook mission lately.  If political battles on Facebook are your thing.  :cheers:

Mad Mike you can't band together and change the world by bantering with some house frau's while you sip your craft brew in the evening.

Good thing that's not what I'm doing then.

Do you have something to add to this thread that isn't mind numbingly stupid? Or is this the best you have?

I hate Facebook. I think its a brilliant scam that tricked people into voluntarily populating a marketing database, and keeping it updated, with as much private information as possible. Having said all that, the role of social media in politics has been HUGE. Consider the role it has played in the Arab spring for perhaps the most extreme example.

Archived