Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: What your favorite drink says about your politics

Tulane Skins Fan

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/govbeat/wp/2013/12/31/what-your-favorite-drink-says-about-your-politics-in-one-chart/?Post+generic=%3Ftid%3Dsm_twitter_washingtonpost

Former Mississippi governor and uber-Republican Haley Barbour loves bourbon. Franklin Roosevelt mixed martinis. And, as it turns out, those two partisans have something in common with their base voters: Consumer data suggests Democrats prefer clear spirits, while Republicans like their brown liquor.

Democratic drinkers are more likely to sip Absolut and Grey Goose vodkas, while Republican tipplers are more likely to savor Jim Beam, Canadian Club and Crown Royal. That research comes from consumer data supplied by GFK MRI, and analyzed by Jennifer Dube of National Media Research Planning and Placement, an Alexandria-based Republican consulting firm.

I drink my own urine. Because it's sterile and I like the taste.

Ive got some hookers in my room... care to join me?  :P

Only alcohol I've consumed in the last few decades has been wine.

But lately, it's been RED wine.

Must make me a centrist.

Nah, we drink aged tequila.

I'm as much a lefty as anyone around here, and bourbon is my drink of choice. Woodford reserve tonight, as soon as the kids are asleep.

at least ya have good taste and moderation.....you sure about the lefty biz?

American whiskeys are Southern, and Scotch like Glen Livet is manly and expensive so only rich guys drink it. That explains dark liquor sans gold tequila being Republican.

Girls favor clear liquor and tequilas and vote Democrat.

Poor young people drink cheap wines like Carlo Rossi, Andre, Sutter Home, Turning Leaf, etc.

Kendall Jackson is what their wealthier Republican parents drink.

You get Two Buck Chuck from Trader Joe's which is a store for Millenials and aging hippies, so Democrat.

Interesting that there are such clear demographic breakdowns for alcohols.

Just shooting from the hip, but I bet if they did something like this for beer, Busch would skew heavily towards low turn out Republican, and Pabst Blue Ribbon would be equally low turnout Democrat.

American whiskeys are Southern, and Scotch like Glen Livet is manly and expensive so only rich guys drink it. That explains dark liquor sans gold tequila being Republican.

Girls favor clear liquor and tequilas and vote Democrat.

Poor young people drink cheap wines like Carlo Rossi, Andre, Sutter Home, Turning Leaf, etc.

Kendall Jackson is what their wealthier Republican parents drink.

You get Two Buck Chuck from Trader Joe's which is a store for Millenials and aging hippies, so Democrat.

Interesting that there are such clear demographic breakdowns for alcohols.

Just shooting from the hip, but I bet if they did something like this for beer, Busch would skew heavily towards low turn out Republican, and Pabst Blue Ribbon would be equally low turnout Democrat.

With all due respect.... What the hell are you talking about? Have you ever priced good tequila? Don Julio Reposado is a very good tequila in a "reasonable" price range at $45. For the really great stuff prices can be in the thousands of dollars. LOL! 

Top 10 Most Expensive Tequilas in the World | Most Expensive of Things

And tequila is more popular with men than women. Margaritas don't count. Real tequila drinkers prefer quality brands and a snifter over a shot glass.

Sorry but I think the politics are a lot more simple than you think. Whisky and bourbon are "merican" drinks and a cultural favorite of good ol southern boys everywhere. They happen to be dark.

Vodka and gin are the cultural favorite of people who consider themselves to be educated and/or cultured. They happen to be clear.

I think these two "rules" are just enough to skew the results but if you look at the chart provided in the article there is no real defining line at all. Prices and favored types of liquors vary wildly for both sides.

Archived