Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2014 Schedule Rumors, Predictions, Info

kleese

Safe bet that Redskins-Colts will be a nationally televised game. RG3 vs. Luck and all that. Probably a Monday nighter though.

At least one of our division games will be on national TV. 3-13 teams don't normally get Sunday Night Football games, but the Redskins are anything but a normal franchise.

I hope we open with some low key under the radar games, like we did in 2012. I'd love to open vs. like the Titans or Bucs. Three of the four season openers in the Shanahan era were in some kind of national TV(SNF vs. Dallas, MNF vs. Eagles, even the Giants opener in 2011 was a 4:30 national game).

Our Thursday night game will probably be some crappy NFL Network matchup, like the Jags or something.

I am going to update this as info trickles in....

Now that the season is officially over, there is a slight bit more that we know about the schedule than we did before.

In the OP, I have my mock schedule and nothing has happened that will change that for me. Hiring Gruden neither raises us in terms of interest or lowers us.

We do know now that we will not open with Seattle (that was gonna be a longshot anyway). The Seahawks will open the season in the Thursday night kickoff game.

So for now, I'm sticking with my mock and the prediction that we get two MNF games next year and a Thursday game. Maybe swap one of those Monday games for a game early in the season on SNF, but I think that might be a stretch. Sticking with my pick of opening at home with the Bucs and an early season date at Indy.

idk, i dont think its fair to say that we know we will not open with seattle. maybe the nfl will want the skins to travel to seattle for their thursday night opener. rg3 vs russell wilson? who wouldnt be dying to see that? in my opinion it would be pretty cool. just sayin.

idk, i dont think its fair to say that we know we will not open with seattle. maybe the nfl will want the skins to travel to seattle for their thursday night opener. rg3 vs russell wilson? who wouldnt be dying to see that? in my opinion it would be pretty cool. just sayin.

oops, seahawks play AT FedEx, sorry. thought we played them there...nevermind.

Redskins have not had a 1:00 home opener since 2007.

Have not ended the regular season with two road games since 1989.

Have not opened with an interconference game since 2007.

Have not followed a bye week with an interconference game since 2002.

Opened against the Giants in '08, 09, and '11.

Minnesota

tcfbank13_top.jpg

San Francisco

49ers_stadium.jpg

Some things to consider with the schedule ...

1. teams playing on Thursday are no farther than adjacent time zones (with odd exception for the western division matches)
  2. if the season finale rotation *does* hold for the East, we should close out the regular season against Philadelphia
  3. our game in Indianapolis is a lock for prime time (Sunday or Monday)

So I'll take a run at it ...

• 07-Sep: v. Tennessee, 1300 (CBS)
  • 15-Sep: at Dallas, 2040 (ESPN)
  • 21-Sep: v. Tampa Bay, 1300 (Fox)
  • 28-Sep: at Indianapolis, 2030 (NBC)
  • 05-Oct: at Philadelphia, 1300 (Fox)
  • 12-Oct: v. Seattle, 1625 (Fox) - rematch of 2012 Wild Card game
  • 16-Oct: v. St. Louis, 2030 (NFLN)
  • 26-Oct: at San Francisco, 1625 (Fox)
  • 02-Nov: v. NY Giants, 1300 (Fox)
  • 09-Nov: BYE
  • 16-Nov: v. Dallas, 1625 (Fox)
  • 23-Nov: at Houston, 1300 (Fox)
  • 30-Nov: at Minnesota, 1300 (Fox)
  • 07-Dec: v. Jacksonville, 1605 (CBS)
  • 14-Dec: at. NY Giants, 1300 (Fox)
  • 21-Dec: at Arizona, 1605 (Fox)
  • 28-Dec: v. Philadelphia, 1300 (Fox)

Other NFL-wide stuff:

-Seattle is supposed to host the Broncos next season.  Do you think the NFL would actually make that game the Thursday night opener?  I'm thinking enough people will want to watch football that day anyways, they don't need to burn a prime matchup.

-The Lions are playing either the Bills or Dolphins on Thanksgiving

-I expect we might see the Bengals in the Thanksgiving night game.  The AFC North is shut out of the Dallas/Detroit rotation because the Thanksgiving rotation and the NFL Scheduling rotation are unintentionally synced together.  That's why the Ravens end up playing a lot of Thanksgiving night games.  The Bengals and Browns haven't recently though, and the Bengals are coming off of a great season.

I'm going to go on a limb and say the season opens with Raiders-Seahawks on Thursday night, and the Monday LATE opener is Broncos-Chargers.  The league has issues scheduling the Raiders/Broncos/Chargers on opening weekend because of the US Open (CBS won't do late games on Sunday), so they almost always get primetime games.

Other NFL-wide stuff:

-Seattle is supposed to host the Broncos next season. Do you think the NFL would actually make that game the Thursday night opener? I'm thinking enough people will want to watch football that day anyways, they don't need to burn a prime matchup.

-The Lions are playing either the Bills or Dolphins on Thanksgiving

-I expect we might see the Bengals in the Thanksgiving night game. The AFC North is shut out of the Dallas/Detroit rotation because the Thanksgiving rotation and the NFL Scheduling rotation are unintentionally synced together. That's why the Ravens end up playing a lot of Thanksgiving night games. The Bengals and Browns haven't recently though, and the Bengals are coming off of a great season.

I'm going to go on a limb and say the season opens with Raiders-Seahawks on Thursday night, and the Monday LATE opener is Broncos-Chargers. The league has issues scheduling the Raiders/Broncos/Chargers on opening weekend because of the US Open (CBS won't do late games on Sunday), so they almost always get primetime games.

I think your reasoning is sound on the opener, but the Raiders are dipping way too low into the barrel. My guess is that it will not be the Broncos... I think Green Bay makes a lot of sense in that spot.

I'll say the Bills get the Thanksgiving game at Detroit this year--- Dolphins have gotten the nod there in recent years.

Bengals vs Ravens/Steelers on Thanksgiving night makes a ton of sense as does Broncos-Chargers as the late Monday opener.

I'll also say SF hosts either the Chiefs or Eagles on the opening SNF game.

I think your reasoning is sound on the opener, but the Raiders are dipping way too low into the barrel. My guess is that it will not be the Broncos... I think Green Bay makes a lot of sense in that spot.

Actually now that I think about it more, I'm almost convinced it'll be Oakland-Seattle.

Oakland can't go on the road because CBS can't do a late game that day.

If they play at home they would have to play on MNF because the A's are at home on Sunday

So they either go to Seattle on Thursday night, or play an MNF game.  I'm thinking people will watch the Thursday regardless of matchup because it's football, whereas on MNF they want a marquee matchup.

Note that this also means that SF will almost definitely play a late game in Week 1, so their game will likely be: STL, ARI, PHI, WAS, CHI, KC, at ARI

There's a 1 in 7 shot we're starting up in SF next season.

Actually now that I think about it more, I'm almost convinced it'll be Oakland-Seattle.

Oakland can't go on the road because CBS can't do a late game that day.

If they play at home they would have to play on MNF because the A's are at home on Sunday

So they either go to Seattle on Thursday night, or play an MNF game.  I'm thinking people will watch the Thursday regardless of matchup because it's football, whereas on MNF they want a marquee matchup.

The opening Monday has has two games, including a West Coast game, for some time now, and Oakland has played in a good deal of them.  

Unless they really want to showcase Levi's Stadium that opening weekend, I think the 49ers travel to Seattle for that Thursday game.

Did I see something this morning about the NFL wanting a Thursday night doubleheader in week 16 next year?  If that's the case, does it change anyone's predictions?

edit-My mistake.  I think it is a Saturday doubleheader in Week 16

They definitely tinker with the end of season schedules to let players be with their families on Christmas, and/or line up with the NCAA regarding bowl games, so its possible.

I read another article that the CBS (Simms + Nantz) is doing the Thursday night games for the first 8 weeks and those will be simulcast on CBS and NFLN.  Should be interesting to see if that changes the teams they schedule.

Yeah, CBS will do the first 8 Thursdays now as part of the simulcast. NFLN then takes over for six Thursdays. Then, they will conclude their coverage with a Sat double header in week 16. My guess is that we see at least a small uptick in the scheduling of the early season Thursday games. Also interesting if Simms/Nantz do call all of those games--- that is a heavy workload....

We play at minny who is playing at the gophers stadium. I doubt there would be a home game same weekend as the gophers play at home.

Thursday Aug. 28 Eastern Illinois Panthers
TCF Bank Stadium, Minneapolis, MN
Saturday Sept. 6 Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders
Saturday Sept. 13 at TCU Horned Frogs
Amon G. Carter Stadium, Fort Worth, TX
Saturday Sept. 20 San Jose State Spartans
Saturday Sept. 27 at Michigan Wolverines
Michigan Stadium, Ann Arbor, MI
Saturday Oct. 4 --- Open Date --- ---
Saturday Oct. 11 Northwestern Wildcats
Saturday Oct. 18 Purdue Boilermakers
Saturday Oct. 25 at Illinois Fighting Illini
Memorial Stadium, Champaign, IL
Saturday Nov. 1 --- Open Date --- ---
Saturday Nov. 8 Iowa Hawkeyes
Saturday Nov. 15 Ohio State Buckeyes

^ They might try to avoid it, but the two teams shared a stadium for years in the Metrodome and I am sure played on the same weekend often.

I also read every team is going to have a Thursday night game. I don't like it.

Plus I have to listen to Phil Simms over Mike Mayock. Yuck!!

Every team has played a Thurs game since the start of the 2012 season

Archived