Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What changes do you want to see with the arrival of our new HC?

brandymac27

And we don't need to augment the perception that RGIII is a diva who is running the team.

But he is a diva who will run the team. There are already indications he'll be involved in picking the coach.

New coach: Hi RGIII, nice to meet you.

RGIII: Hi coach, good to meet you. BTW, this is my team and we do things my way around here. If you have a problem with that or if I don't like you, I'll get Dan to fire you like I did Shannahan. Got it?

So the new coach will be a yes man, somebody to kiss RGIII's arse and just go along to get along and cash in. The next coach won't really care whether we win or lose, he'll be here for the paycheck.

But he is a diva who will run the team. There are already indications he'll be involved in picking the coach.

RGIII: Hi coach, good to meet you. BTW, this is my team and we do things my way around here. If you have a problem with that or if I don't like you, I'll get Dan to fire you like I did Shannahan. Got it?

So the new coach will be a yes man, somebody to kiss RGIII's arse and just go along to get along and cash in. The next coach won't really care whether we win or lose, he'll be here for the paycheck.

You hate RGIII with the passion of 1000 suns. We know. The schtick is growing old

1.Back to a 4-3. Bottom Line is that Cofield and Orakpo (if resigned) are bad 3-4 fits. Cofield will have his career shortened continuing to get pounded as a Nose Tackle. Orakpo just isn't good enough in space to be viable 3-4 LB.

2.More Diverse run game. When the ZBS is rolling it's fine, but like most Shanahan Offensive staples if it gets stopped there is no fallback. This will also include getting more linemen besides Trent who can do more than Zone Run Blocking.

3.1 RB Base Offense. I love Young but I think using the FB in the base Offense is past its time. The problem is if you use the FB on first down Defenses will usually have a tell on whether the next play is run or pass by seeing if the FB gets subbed or not. FB should be used for short yardage and some occasional play action off that.  I'd rather have a 2nd TE or 3rd WR on the field on first down instead of a FB.

1:   I want a tough as nails, monstrous defense. One that opposing teams do not want to play against. With that he needs to bring in a DC that guys will walk through fire for. Leave it all on the field. God I miss Sean.

2:   Like most have said I want discipline and accountability for all players and coaches. ALL of them. 

3:   I want a special teams that plays like #1. Hard nosed monsters. Make people fear playing you.

4:   Develop RGIII at all costs.

5:   Protect RGIII at all costs. So, yes, a heavier more athletic OL.

Since Snyder is not going to sell the team anytime soon, I'd like David Shaw, or Ken Wisehunt as our next HC. AJ Smith might help here, and with Wisenhunt we might be able to get Grimm as our OL coach. I like Roman too, it would be awesome for Alfred, but I'm not sure he'll be able to get the best out of Robert.

We need a smart, young HC with character. I hope this HC will bring very good scouts too, we need to draft wise and great.

I want an innovator who is preferably a younger guy. I want someone who will build his system around the talent he has and can be flexible. I want someone who has the capability to leave his ego at the door and recognize if something he's doing isn't working and make changes. I want halftime adjustments!!! I want someone who commands respect from the players but will also have them follow him because they WANT to and believe in him, not because they're afraid of him or think they'll get canned/be permanently in the dog house as soon as they show even the slightest indications of not absolutely toeing the line. I want someone who is smart enough to realize that he needs top notch coaching talent under him and that he should stick to his area of expertise. I want someone who can either help develop Griffin himself or hire the right people to do so. I want someone who will actually listen to his player evaluation guys. 

Now, if only we could fire ES members.     :rolleyes:

I want a coach that is player driven, not scheme driven.  The great thing about Gibbs I was that he knew how to be a grind it out coach if the talent demanded it, but he also know how to be Air Coryell if that's what the team could do.  The talent dictated the strategy... we've had too many guys locked into... "What we do works" including Spurrier, Shanahan, and Turner.  That inflexibility led to poorer performances.

So, I want a team that's more philosophically and intellectually agile.  We've got some great players.  Let's put them in a position to do what they do best. 

Yes: scrap the ZBS and the 34 defense

I like the 43 as much as anyone else, but Riley is too small for a 43. Orakpo could play de or lb, but according to some May be too small for de in the 43. Yes, we do have some money. To spend and if we could revert back to the 43 without losing too many of our young up and coming players than I'd be all for it. I'd also like to see wade come in and make us a strong 34.

Who do you want to see in each position.

At this point I'll pretty much take anyone with any type of scheme, defense, etc, that's not Art Briles. 

1.  A coach that will DEMAND respect from the players and brings a boot-camp like environment to Redskins Park.  At the first meeting as say that as long as they are a Washington Redskin, he expects TOTAL commitment or they will be sent packing.

2. Extreme attention to detail and analysis of film, to break down the enemy's weaknesses.  Demanding that the assistants put in the same hours and detail into the plans.

3. Full pads at practice, tackling, contact, 2 a days.  No excuses.

4. Practice outside unless the weather TRULY makes it impossible to do so.  No pussing out in the cold or rain.

5. Someone that doesn't try to be friends with the players, but rather has the players fear and awe him.

6. Someone who is a core Redskin, and is here not just for the paycheck but to help return this great franchise to where it needs to be.

7. Someone who will cut players immediately for not adhering to the offseason program and being in tip top shape for the season.

So,....I'm gonna make a wild guess and say most of your points are just not gonna happen.

The 4-3, first and foremost.

Why? Glad you asked. I'm leaning on Gibb's philosophy of going against tendencies.

The trend right now is teams going to the 3-4;  so offenses will be more suited to find ways to beat the 3-4.

Throw in a team running a 4-3, the table is turned because opponents have been acclaimated to dealing with a 3-4, and the 4-3 will be something they're not used to dealing with, thus giving them more problems.

The other, IMO, those gawdy god-awful puke inducing yellow pants. Go to the burgundy with gold/white stripes or even white, but please burn those yellow pants.

The organization is ill, evidenced by the revolving door of coaches and inconsistent win-loss records. Sadly, Snyder won't go away.

The wheels were coming off last year, but masked by lots of wins. Coaches cared more about doing it their way than pulling together to find common ground to move forward. Players cared more about what they wanted to do than what the team needed of them. The owner may have stopped publicly meddling, but disregarded his coach's desire for him not to publicly favor RG3. We keep trying to take short cuts through the draft and free agency and repeatedly mortgaging our future. 

In Denver, they let Peyton play his game. Their coaches put aside their philosophical beliefs to let him run the playbook that would let him excel. 

What changes need to be made? It's cultural. The "franchise" needs to start acting like a team. Forget serving the other masters of revenue and marketing and the need for the team to be the owners play thing—win first and the other things will take care of itself. We talk about being a "class organization" but not all our actions can be described as classy. There is a dearth of positive qualities in the leadership of the team—what is the first word you would use to describe our leadership? Ego (Shanny). Meddler (Snyder). Lap dog (Cerrato/Allen). Bumbling (Zorn). Overmatched (Spurrier). It should be words like Integrity, Tough (Cowher), Legend (Gibbs). 

Change the culture first and that starts with Snyder. It needs to start with developing good character from top to bottom. 

I want a coach who is going to maximize the talent on this team.

I want a coach who can pick position coaches who in turn facilitate development and quality preparation.

I want a head coach whose play caller and defensive play caller have a feel for the game and clock management.

No fear.

No drama.

Yes!

A guy who evalutates the roster and designs schemes and strategies to get the ball to his playmakers. Not someone who is so married to his scheme that he will trust it to work in all cases. I also want him to choose and empower his positions coaches and coordinators. Let the coaches who have a relationship with his players be the one to teach the weekly gameplans.

1. A people person and the ability to manage people

2. Some one who oversee the whole coaching staff.

3. Innovation on the offensive side of the ball

4. Keep the 34. The 34 with the right personnel is a lot of better in terms of getting turnovers and sacks then a 43 would be.

5. Discipline. I'm talking top 5 in fewest penalties in the league. Fewest in the league in personal foul penalties. Have to stop beating our self

6. The ability to manage the clock. Maddening seeing Shanny, a potential HoF coach, just butcher clock management.

Power running game. I'd love to see us get some big uglys up front and wear teams out. I'm fine keeping the 3-4 but we need a true NT and we need to bring the heat.

The ZBS is very effective for running the ball, especially with a guy like Alfred. However, I think you need to incorporate more into your running attack than JUST the ZBS otherwise you don't have anything to fall back on if a team counters it well. Shanny was always pretty much an exclusive ZBS guy and didn't really incorporate any power or other types of attacks. That led to him going with lighter guys who could be a liability in pass protection. 

Archived