Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What changes do you want to see with the arrival of our new HC?

brandymac27

Just wanted to see what people's opinions are on some of the big changes they'd like to see happen with a new HC. We obviously don't know who that's gonna be yet, but would you like us to scrap this light weight OL? Revert back to the 4-3 defense?

I know some changes we're hoping for are "unrealistic" at this point because we don't know what new players we'll acquire and which ones we'll lose (other than the obvious), but do you think making big overhauls on the offense (including a change in offensive style/philosophy) will help or hurt RG3's development? 

I'm asking these questions honestly. I'm definitely in the camp of "thank God Mike's gone", but what if a new HC comes in here and makes so many changes that one of the most important players on our team (RG3- who we sold the farm for) regresses or is stunted developmentally?

What changes do you think NEED to be made that will help RG3, and which ones could possibly hurt him???

Thoughts?

OMG, so glad you're back, girl!

I can keep it short.  We need the 4-3.  And if we can't get a bigger OL, we need fire in smaller linemen, you almost have to wanna pull a Mike Tyson & get fierce!  Get the friggin' penalties under friggin' control...holy crap, this season was a hankyfest.  Another false start might cause me to go into convulsions...seriously, check the linemens' peripheral vision...it's how we worked it in a barley field, jeez.

Not that I wanna see another piece of an ear, but you get it...

Glad we have a chance to fight (once again).  I'll be buried in the B n G, so to keep hoping isn't too much of a stretch.

OMG, so glad you're back, girl!

I can keep it short.  We need the 4-3.  And if we can't get a bigger OL, we need fire in smaller linemen, you almost have to wanna pull a Mike Tyson & get fierce!  Get the friggin' penalties under friggin' control...holy crap, this season was a hankyfest.  Another false start might cause me to go into convulsions...seriously, check the linemens' peripheral vision...it's how we worked it in a barley field, jeez.

Not that I wanna see another piece of an ear, but you get it...

Glad we have a chance to fight (once again).  I'll be buried in the B n G, so to keep hoping isn't too much of a stretch.

LOL, I love it! I'm actually with you on the penalties and the 4-3 thing too. BTW, great to talk to you again and check your PM's!

..... BUT lol, I really am wondering how all of this will affect RG3 if our new HC isn't Briles.

Darn gal's always have to go complicate things with questions. You don't answer. They get pissed. You ask what's wrong. They say we need to talk, BUT I'm NOT talking to you ...... darn, that was a night I never want to relive. But I digress, players .....

Beef up the line in front of him to an NFL standard. I believe we already have two great candidates for big, athletic guards who came from power run schools in MoHurt and LeRib. Well, if LeRib would ever stop trying to eat his own weight for breakfast.  :lol:.Going to a more power scheme as a base but being adaptable to different concepts for different situations. 

More than happy to keep the 34. The way the leagues trending, it's the best base to work out of and keep up. We just need a competent 34 guy and an upgrade in personal. A big ass true 34 nose too please. I love Baker, but I'm not sure I want to throw him straight in as a starter. 

Oh yeah, one last thing I may of forgotten. 

Whatever Coach Art wants to roll with.   :D

Hail. 

Help turn Robert into the QB he has the potential to be. If that happens, we can overcome everything else and will always be in the hunt no matter what's going on. 

But a defense, 3-4 or 4-3 or whatever, that keeps teams from scoring at will and can generate turnovers consistently as well as a Special Teams that is even remotely good would be awesome as well. 

More than happy to keep the 34. The way the leagues trending, it's the best base to work out of and keep up. We just need a competent 34 guy and an upgrade in personal. A big ass true 34 nose too please. I love Baker, but I'm not sure I want to throw him straight in as a starter. 

Oh you! LOL (as far as your "women comments" are concerned!)

Anyway, I'm pretty much with you on everything else you posted. You don't think it would easier to just scrap the 3-4 and go back to the old 4-3? I'm really in favor of going back. I honestly don't know why we switched in the first place considering the personnel we had, but that's a totally different thread lol.

NO to Art Briles.  I don't want another 'ol ball coach' type.  We need an innovator who's proven he can work with a qb of the style RGIII represents.  Briles has never coached in the NFL, and he likely won't adjust to the change in status (college coaches like him are used to some leeway and control).  Plus, we don't need the media circus enlarging more than it already is.  And we don't need to augment the perception that RGIII is a diva who is running the team.

That said, what I want from the new HC: a philosophy which lends itself to properly building a team.  He also has to know his role.  No duties above and beyond coaching and game planning.  I don't want him micromanaging anything but the product being put on the field week to week.  He should understand he isn't a scout, and he should trust his scouts to give him workable pieces (with his input, of course).  He should have a scheme capable of getting the most out of whatever the GM is able to bring in for him.  He should be willing to play those that want to be here, discard those who are only here for the payoff, and avoid headgames with his players.  He also should be flexible.  If something isn't working, he should be humble enough to tweak his style to obtain results (that implies being self-aware enough to recognize when he's going the wrong direction). 

Also, killer instinct, passion, and prudence when dealing with the gossip mongers and yellow journalists.  No unecessary press conferences, no leaks.  He also shouldn't get butthurt about percieved loss of power- just coach the damn team.  He should have the stones to stand up to the FO, and the wisdom to pick his battles. 

If he's an offensive mind, he should get good people to run the defense and get out of the way.  Vice versa for a defensive minded HC.  NO sitting in on defensive/offensive meetings, no calling for cover-0 blitzes when they aren't warranted, and not jamming a scheme onto his assistants, when they have no experience with them.

The above is pretty much describes Joe Gibbs.  But I'll take someone who approximates the above traits.

Whatever Coach Art wants to roll with.  :D

Hail. 

LMAO, I should've known! Hey, I'm in the Briles camp too b/c I think he knows RG3 better than anyone else we could bring in here. BUT lol, I really am wondering how all of this will affect RG3 if our new HC isn't Briles.

What about the rest of the team? Briles is not the right pick for this job maybe a good coach but not here would be to bigger of a mess. If Briles comes in chances are we all will want him and BOB III out of here in a few years it will be a mess for RG3

Like Baylor and the Heisman #1?

NO to Art Briles.  I don't want another 'ol ball coach' type.  We need an innovator who's proven he can work with a qb of the style RGIII represents. ...

Innovator- Check. Proven to work with RGIII to the point of turning him into the best player in the Nation- Check. 

Again. so someone like Briles?  ;)

Hail. 

Discipline! That's basically all I ask.. Oh, and a little common sense.. Just learn the snap counts, formations, routes, etc.. Don't go full retard with the game on the line and get a PF.. Find a new punter, before a full season expires, when yours can't get a ball over 40 yards in the air.. Have the ability to recognize if your plan isn't working and try something different after half time... You know, basic stuff every "decent" team in the league pulls off in their sleep!! :P

What about the rest of the team? Briles is not the right pick for this job maybe a good coach but not here would be to bigger of a mess. If Briles comes in chances are we all will want him and BOB III out of here in a few years it will be a mess for RG3

What about the rest of the team? He loves the lines. Baylor averages about 50 runs to 32 passes a game this year. He knows Griffin. He knows the game. His players love him. He's not afraid of adversity. *shrug*

I want a coach who is going to maximize the talent on this team.

I want a coach who can pick position coaches who in turn facilitate development and quality preparation.

I want a head coach whose play caller and defensive play caller have a feel for the game and clock management.

No fear.

No drama.

1.  A coach that will DEMAND respect from the players and brings a boot-camp like environment to Redskins Park.  At the first meeting as say that as long as they are a Washington Redskin, he expects TOTAL commitment or they will be sent packing.

2. Extreme attention to detail and analysis of film, to break down the enemy's weaknesses.  Demanding that the assistants put in the same hours and detail into the plans.

3. Full pads at practice, tackling, contact, 2 a days.  No excuses.

4. Practice outside unless the weather TRULY makes it impossible to do so.  No pussing out in the cold or rain.

5. Someone that doesn't try to be friends with the players, but rather has the players fear and awe him.

6. Someone who is a core Redskin, and is here not just for the paycheck but to help return this great franchise to where it needs to be.

7. Someone who will cut players immediately for not adhering to the offseason program and being in tip top shape for the season.

Archived