Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Predict the Retread Coach to be hired in 2016

Riggo-toni

Jesus this board is losing their minds...just coming apart at the seams I tell ya

Its really not to far fetched. If we have the season a lot of think we will. You gotta think Gruden is gone. That gives Scott the ability to hire his coach and that coach to draft his QB.

Its really not to far fetched. If we have the season a lot of think we will. You gotta think Gruden is gone. That gives Scott the ability to hire his coach and that coach to draft his QB.

True, I think gruden will be gone if we have a bad season...however, can't we wait until we are actually losing games in the regular season before we start guessing who our next coach will be?

Ooooh, I'm excited! I hopes we draft Jim Harbaugh for coach next year, he was very good in college plus he did OK with an RG3 type guy last time he was in the nfl, and since the griffster is gonna be concussed for contracts till next year neway, LETS DO THS

2001 - Marty - vet retread

2002 - Spurrier - hot college coach

2004 - gibbs - vet retread

2008 - zorn - unknown young coordinator

2010 - shanahan - vet retread

2014 - ??? - young/hot college/NFL coordinator

2016 - ??? - vet retread

hahaha sad but true

We've basically done it every way you can do it, to no avail. But we've had the most success with the vet retread.

Basically, the assistant/coordinator or college coach path has been dead on arrival.

But I have to say, when we go vet retread, we go big. Can't do much better than Marty, Gibbs, and Shanny on paper.

We should have fired Jay Gruden last year. We should have hired Todd Boles, or Rex Ryan. We always do things backwards. I

I would like to see another non-offensive coach get a shot. Mix it up a little, try something different.

I actually think Gruden should stay through end of next season - and I am no fan of fat Chucky.

Think about it. If Scott McCloughan is really honest about our roster, this thing is a **** sandwich regardless of the coach. Let Gruden be the captain of this dumpster fire.

In 2 drafts and 2 free agencies, this entire roster should be rebuilt. Then fire Gruden and have a young roster filled with talent that would lure a real coach.

Let us hire an caliber NFL coach when we have an NFL roster. 

Basically, let Gruden be our Randy Wittman.

I'm going with the concept that we may have a promising young guy already, and the wild idea of not mouthing faux platitudes of support while figuring on posting a consistent stream of negativity about him on the board (with or without the faux platitudes).

Roast him as objectively and accurately merited, praise him the same way.

Also, I think it was correctly identified that Jay was way over his head last year, especially on the offensive side of the ball and so they brought in a quality O-line coach, QB coach, and DB coach. He's still thought of around the league as a top offensive mind and so we'll see how much more improved they are. I tend to think they'll be competitive with a functioning qb as long as they can run the ball and stop the run. I still think they'll give up more big plays than they should unfortunately. I can't wait to see. Would have the feeling that we're building, and don't need another reset, if we can be middle of the pack. I'm pleased with 7-9 wins, and I think, especially with a weak schedule, that is more than possible.

Jeebus FivePoint--"they" didn't bring those guys in, Jay did---of course with at least the GM discussing it---you  think Jay didn't want to bring guys in? I keep reading that same thing. What the hell goes on in your guys heads, really?

Holy **** the dumbing down effect of made up minds and rigid biases based on nothing special in the way of processing to begin with.

(the last line not at FivePoint at all, just in general to so many)

Not only that--but as I have said already--for many posters, if they do well, those assistant coaches and other figures/events will be given credit (iow, everyone/everything but Jay) and if the don't, jay will get all the blame. You can't make this **** up. 

I'm going with the concept that we may have a promising young guy already, and the wild idea of not mouthing faux platitudes of support while figuring on posting a consistent stream of negativity about him on the board (with or without the faux platitudes).

Roast him as objectively and accurately merited, praise him the same way.

Do you think it's possible, likely even, that Gruden is something between great and mediocre?  I think here of someone like Lovie Smith, who had a good run, but maybe won't touch that again, or Dennis Green, who seemed excellent when his teams were excellent?  I don't think anyone can argue that Green and Smith were great coordinators and had some great years as HCs, but ultimately maybe the NFL is that way now.  I mean, does anyone think Jason Garrett is great?  But there he is, and maybe they'll win a SB and if they don't maybe it really isn't his fault.  I mean Bill B's don't grow on trees, and guys like Mike Tomlin seem fairly competent but are also married to competent organizations (I doubt he has the longevity he's had with another franchise)

IF that's the case, it's more important what Scott does (is it one 't' or two?) and how much he changes how the organization is run. Sustained success, even just below any SB titles seems important as a means to create the conditions for success for a coach.  

I'm usually forever-the-optimist when it comes to the Skins every preseason, but hot damn... this team is going to flat out suck this year.  We're a three-win team at best imo.  I never thought I'd say this... but Gruden is just below Zorn as far as head coaching ability status.  The guy seriously and utterly has no clue what he is doing.  

The whole thing just makes me sad.  The RG3 debacle... the injuries... the complete disarray of the front office.  All of it.  It's just facepalm city every time I click on Facebook and see all the news reports each day. 

It sucks to suck.

going with the retread feel:

Marty Schottenheimer
Norv Turner
Bill Cowher

Nick Saban
Jim Haslett
Mike Shanahan
Rod Marinelli
Wade Phillips

Romeo Crenel

Joe Barry (he's already here)
Steve Spagnuolo

Leslie Frazier
Gregg Williams

Rob Ryan

Did I miss anyone?

Ghost--absolutely I think that's possible and is the most logical (and certainly much less stupid than the norm here) analysis--the big caveat to that is it's still too early in that guy's career to know for sure. A detached and thorough look at his professional (and life even) history says a lot to me, and mostly positive. But I have expressed many times my real reservations about him having what it takes in both X's & O's and "leadership" (those latter doubts waning) become a top-notch HC at this level, or even become a good one. I think I see the potential. 

I think the quantity and general quality of the consistently strong and definite negatives posted here are more reflective of the pro rg3 biases of many doing such, and the lower end of typical message board noise (see above).

Archived