Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Santana Moss. An all-time Washington Redskins LEGEND! (MET)

Gibbs Hog Heaven

Kinda odd to have Moss as a healthy scratch.  Obviously it came down to special teams, but most teams won't keep a vet like him unless he's an integral part of your offense.   His contracts now guaranteed for the season so they'll likely keep him unless there are too many injuries at other positions and they need his roster spot.   

Moss doesn't (and shouldn't) cover kicks and punts. He's got no ST value unless he's the returner.

Love the guy, but he's here as insurance and as a mentor.

Agreed.  Moss is still on the team, but he has NEVER played any ST except for as a returner, and we have several guys who are more dangerous there than he is.

I think Moss is on the roster for a few reasons:

1) Respect - Jay Gruden seems like he's a respect kind of guy. Moss has done a lot for this franchise, and I'm sure Gruden didn't want to see his career end with him being released at training camp, or jumping around to different rosters.

2) This one is important to stress: He can still go. The respect thing wouldn't make sense if he wasn't any good. Moss still has some skill and value, especially if something happens to any of our top three guys.

I wouldn't be surprised to see this be his last season, but who knows. The guy just keeps on going.

I think Moss is on the roster for a few reasons:

1) Respect - Jay Gruden seems like he's a respect kind of guy. Moss has done a lot for this franchise, and I'm sure Gruden didn't want to see his career end with him being released at training camp, or jumping around to different rosters.

2) This one is important to stress: He can still go. The respect thing wouldn't make sense if he wasn't any good. Moss still has some skill and value, especially if something happens to any of our top three guys.

I wouldn't be surprised to see this be his last season, but who knows. The guy just keeps on going.

Sounds good to me. I'm glad he is still on the roster for similar reasons.

My question is about Gruden not dressing him out. (Maybe I should have started a new thread on the topic, but it's just easier to bump the last related thread I know, anyway sorry for the confusion there).

So how do you feel about seeing a healthy Moss inactive on gameday?

It bugs me (for reasons like you give to keep him around).

Moss is a sparkplug, something this offense could use. Not only should he dress, but he should get snaps too.

I hope Moss in street cloths on Sundays isn't the new normal. It's weird to me.

Can't say this is a good move on Gruden's part ... I hope I'm wrong. 

Moss ‘Wasn’t Told, Period’ He’d Be Healthy Scratch for Redskins Season-Opener

WASHINGTON (CBSDC) – When Santana Moss arrived at NRG Stadium ahead of the Redskins season-opener last Sunday, he discovered his jersey was missing from his locker.

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2014/09/09/moss-wasnt-told-period-hed-be-healthy-scratch-for-redskins-season-opener/

Moss, while lacking his elite speed, has above average vision and is very "slippery" in one on one situations.  I am puzzled at why he wasn't dressed, if short dink and dunk passes were the gameplan...

yep, you would think if there was going to be a gameplan to get him involved it was that one, and Robert has the most "chemistry" with him, based on time at least.  

Kind of weird, I hope Coach Jay does not end up being an a-hole ... e.g. Schiano, Singletary, early Coughlin 

• 3 months later...

Surprised by the lack of talk about it but the end of the road for Santana this Sunday?

Sad he had to end it in the most uninspiring season known to man but what a true great he has been.

A couple of late TD's to beat the Cowboys on Sunday would be fitting..(would like to see him get a target or two at least)

Thanks for the link with Moss' comments. Moss seems to be handling this like a pro, but you can kinda tell it bugs him.

He's aware of where his career is at this point, and really any coach especially at this point of the year wants to see what younger players have to offer even in a limited basis.

Regardless if this it for Santana he's always given his all as a player and the skins are fortunate to have him.  A legend no, but once retired you can always wear his jersey with pride.

Surprised by the lack of talk about it but the end of the road for Santana this Sunday?

Sad he had to end it in the most uninspiring season known to man but what a true great he has been.

A couple of late TD's to beat the Cowboys on Sunday would be fitting..(would like to see him get a target or two at least)

Surprised but then not surprised to see this bumped again being as Sunday surely is his last game here. (And if it's not then that tells you ALL you need to know about our FO's talent evaluation skills.). 

Since that OP was written, I've soured a lot on Moss this year. Getting into it with fans on the sideline and flipping them the bird (utterly despicable behavior from a so called 'professional' to the very LAST folk he should do that to) took away that modern day 'legend' status for me. Completely losing his discipline yet again a few weeks later in getting tossed for acting like a petulant little brat in NJ just nailed down the coffin. All after being one of the voices we've heard too much of coming out of the locker room. 

Yeah, all things considered I hope he gets one final day in the sun against the team he likes to destroy above all others Sunday. 

But losing his character out of that locker room won't be missed and is part of the clean out that is SORELY needed if we are to finally change the culture and move forward. 

You've gone down a heck of a lot in this long standing fans eyes this year 89. Thank you for all the dedication and good memories. 

But I certainly won't be shedding a tear come games end against Dallas. 

Hail. 

I'm sure it's been a tough season for him too, GHH.  Remember the good times.  Time can soften or deepen wounds.  I'll try to remember him for those beautiful 2005 bombs in Dallas and not the crazy drops and inconsistency.

He probably stayed one year too long esp given how little he was used, but he gave us what he could (except when he skipped the offseason to train on his own in Florida).  But I'll throw away the bad and remember the good.

Remember which way the Moss grows on the Redskins' tree.

Since that OP was written, I've soured a lot on Moss this year. Getting into it with fans on the sideline and flipping them the bird (utterly despicable behavior from a so called 'professional' to the very LAST folk he should do that to) took away that modern day 'legend' status for me.

Wait, what? Getting into it with fans? Flipping them the bird? Must have missed that. :(

GHH, I think moss acted out the way he did this season because not because he's a brat, but because he probably knew this is his last season with the team. Plus, being inactive most of the first 6 or 7 games has to make him mad cause he wasn't hurt in any way. I'd be angry too. That's probably why he flipped off the fans for being mad at the team for being horrible. Probably not a good reason to flip off the fans, but I don't fault him for it in a bad season, just as I don't fault the fans for getting mad at the team.

Now, I don't think its right to call miss a brat for his meltdown against the Giants 2 weeks ago. He was sticking up for his QB, whether right or wrong. Thats not brat-like at all.

Archived