Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Santana Moss. An all-time Washington Redskins LEGEND! (MET)

Gibbs Hog Heaven

I think most people just figure he's done, or is about to be.  Garcon is consistently talked about as the only top receiver we have.  We have people wanting us to get a new number two WR.  We have people who like Hankerson, just not as a 2WR.  There's Jordan Reed.  It'd be a lot of money to spend for the 5th recieving threat on the team(Garcon, new guy, Reed, Hankerson) and people also like Nick Williams 

And don't forget about the emerging Aldrick Robinson.

Shouldn't we wait until he actually announces he's leaving before we say goodbye? What if he checks this board and sees this thread? How do you think he's gonna feel about his team's fans saying goodbye and he's not announced that he's going anywhere? Are we so arrogant as fans that we think we know what a player's gonna do before the players themselves know? An appreciation thread would've been ok..but a 'farewell' thread before anything's been announced? I'll save my farewell until he actually says he's leaving...

I understand what you are saying, but accept for a for a few malcontents, there is an awful lot of love for the guy in here.

I think there is a very good chance he comes back regardless of what the management team is. He provides great veteran leadership and can still make plays for you in critical situations. Look at him returning punts the end of this year! What other 14 year veteran moves to STs as a returner?? (An argument could be made that it's more out of need and poor coaching, but that's another thread!). He will be a 4 or 5 WR and be used mostly to get the young guys ready. They other WRs have a great deal of respect for him.   JMO!!

Having said that, when it is all said and done, Moss will be on the Redskins Ring of Fame which in my mind makes him a Redskins legend. An NFL legend is another conversation, but who cares. This guy has played his heart out here for 9 years. What's really a shame is he has played on some really bad football teams and still put up pretty good numbers and made quite a few memorable catches/plays. Had we had any kind of team around him, we may be talking Hall of Fame for him.

I won't be sad to see Fletcher and Moss leave. We need to move on with younger players. I'd like to see us pick up a WR to compliment Garcon. Moss has been a great WR for us, but he has always had a tendency to drop balls during the most crucial, clutch moments of games. Sorry to see him leave (if he actually does retire), but I won't miss him.

That's exactly how I feel. Other teams get younger and faster while we want to hold on to guys way too long.

Seems like a lot of people don't understand that we need to get MUCH better. By keeping Moss we'll remain the same.

Awesome. I have never been to a Redskins game myself, but I plan on it one day. I plan on going to a Redskins Cowboys game my first game also. I was going to go last season to watch the season finally against the Cowboys but I couldn't afford it at that time, but after seeing how that game played out I wish I would have borrowed some money or something and made it to that game, that would have been a great one to attend.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/109261/moss-wont-reflect-on-redskins-career

And he did say this about his nine seasons here:

“It’s been a beautiful experience. It’s nothing I can ask for more. But I’m not trying to have that conversation now, about how much fun and all that. That’s something we’ll do down the road. I enjoy every day regardless of what day it is or what year it is. Even my four years before these nine years, I enjoyed those also. Every year it’s going to be something different.”

Man, I wasn't even expecting tickets. She asked me back in the summer if I'd ever been or would like to go. I told her then tickets would be too high for my liking. It was a total surprise! If you do go, get there when gates open up and enjoy the experience

I thought He was a good player for us for sure, but legend... thats a bit much.

Too many drops for my taste to ever be an elite player.. Still, was happy we had him.

An NFL legend?  Perhaps not.  But a Redskins legend?  No doubt whatsoever.  Top 3 all time receiving TDs.  Top 3 all time receptions.  Top 4 all time receiving yards.  Most receiving yards in a season.  He's along side names like Monk, Taylor, and Mitchell in those categories.  Not to mention one of the all time most memorable moments in Redskins history against Dallas in 2005.  Without a doubt a legend in Redskins history.

Monk, Taylor, and Clark: Redskin LEGENDS

Moss/Sanders: Redskins GREATS

Thanks for your service Santana, but you are past your sell-by date. That being said, in his prime he could really electrify Redskin nation!

Moss has better stats in his time as  Redskin than Sanders is better in most than Clark.  Since Moss is Top 3 all time in most categories for the 'Skins his Miracle at Midnight plays only solidifies his status as a legend in Redskins lore.

• 8 months later...

Moss didn't dress yesterday. I just read that it was the first healthy scratch of his career.

It reminds me of the time Spurrier benched Darrell Green.

I have to think Moss can still contribute enough to dress for the game.

It's debatable. He's clearly not in the Top 3 and he doesn't provide the special teams value of Ryan Grant. You can say he's better than Aldrick, but better does not mean he gets playing time. Aldrick has speed, which at least distinguishes himself a bit. At best, Moss is a #4 WR and only would get snaps in 4 or 5 wide formations (which the Redskins don't use a ton of). If he played special teams, it would be different. But you generally don't keep a guy active cause he might get a few snaps. You want to make sure the active guys will play.

I don't understand how rosters work. You cut down to 53. Did we have 53 suited up yesterday?

What's the advantage of a healthy scratch? Did someone start in their place? (Long, Moses... Which prolly could have provided an upgrade yesterday)

53 on the roster, 46 dress.

I think 'tana can play teams, and he can contribute as a slot guy on 3-4 wide sets. There's also something to be said about vet leadership and loyalty perhaps.

I know Santana is in the twilight of his football career, and I'm sure Gruden has his reasons, but it's weird not seeing him out there.

I don't understand how rosters work. You cut down to 53. Did we have 53 suited up yesterday?

What's the advantage of a healthy scratch? Did someone start in their place? (Long, Moses... Which prolly could have provided an upgrade yesterday)

I think only 45 players can be active for a game. That leaves 8 inactive each week.

Archived