Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Santana Moss. An all-time Washington Redskins LEGEND! (MET)

Gibbs Hog Heaven

If, as seems likely, Sunday brings the final curtain down on a couple of truly great Redskins careers, it will be a sad day for those of a B&G persuasion to finally have to say goodbye to # 89, WR Santana Terrell Moss. (Fletch rightfully got his accolades last week so this is ALL about 'Tana.). One of our franchises all time great receivers and a guy we owe a HELL of a lot to for giving us some great memory's through some VERY lean times.

Back in the Spring of '05, when Coach decided he needed an explosive offense able to move the chains and keep up with the free scoring nature of the attack trending NFL; I have to admit I was skeptical when he made the trade of Coles with the Jets for the undersized, if speedy Moss. Hell, even Rod Gardner, who we took one place above Santana in the 2001 draft and who we dumped that off-season for a 6th rounder from the Panthers had outperformed Moss their first four years in the league. (I'd wanted Moss' bigger, more rounded Miami teammate Reggie Wayne out of that 2001 draft. But that's another story.).

Boy did he diminish those fears almost from the get go. 4 receptions for 96 yards in the season opener against the Bears through which Ramsey went down and the vet. Brunnell came in served notice that maybe we finally had an explosive deep threat once more. Then in his second game, a week Monday later down in Irving at Texas Stadium in front of the Nation, a Redskins LEGEND was born ..... After struggling to a nondescript 9-7 win in that home opener against the Bears, Coach Joe's new 'explosive' offense was struggling to get into first gear. Through three quarters (7 on the season) and 56 minutes, 14 seconds they'd been completely anemic as Dallas looked good for a 13- 0 shutout. Coach Parcells was 77 and 0 when leading by 13 points or more in the fourth quarter in his glittering career. The signs weren't good to say the least. Then # 89 arrived on the scene. Brunnell, after a miraculous 25 yard scramble himself, followed by a 20 yarder on 4th and 15 to Thrash, hit Moss in the back of the end zone on a 39 yard strike to cut the lead to 13- 7. At least we weren't gona' get shutout. Then, after forcing a punt and excitement and hope rising, Scott hit the streaking Moss, laving Roy Williams in his jetstream, in stride on a picture perfect 70 yard bomb and just like that, in a mere 71 seconds of all out breathtaking explosiveness, the game was turned on it's head into a 14-13 Redskins win and a silent Texas stadium that was rabid upto that point behind their explosive defense. The Monday Night Miracle. One of the greatest games in Redskins lore and the perfect way for # 89 to announce himself as a true superstar in this league.

That debut 2005 season was truly memorable after nigh on 14 seasons of almost constant dross since the last Lombardi. And Moss was the shining light as he became the most explosive receiver we'd seen in our colours in a LONG time. His 1,483 receiving yards broke the franchise record of the great Bobby Mitchell. He was second league wide in total yards from 84 receptions, averaging 17.7 yards a catch and going to his first, and surprisingly, only Pro Bowl in his career. SO many memory's from that first year from Santana that will live with me forever, Catching a short screen pass against the Chiefs and then turning on the turbo's as he streaked down the sideline turning it into an electrifying 78 yard TD. Part of 178 yards he amassed that day through the air. One of 5 games he went over a 100 in '05. Catching three TD's, including 59 and 72 yard scores in the must have second to last game win over the division winning Giants. Just a REAL fun, exciting time to be a Redskin after SO many lean years. With Moss the main catalyst for it all.

And his personal achievements from then right through to the present on some pretty darn woeful Redskins teams have never let up until age finally slowed him down. And even then last year, at 33 years of age and a 12 year vet. in the NFL relegated to not starting for the first time in his career; he STILL played a MAJOR role in the run to the Divisional crown with the second most TD's of his Redskins career (8) and the third highest of his career overall, averaging over 14 yards a catch. He's going out with the third most receptions in our history trailing only Hall of Fame greats Art Monk and Charley Taylor. Fourth all time in receiving yards behind Monk, Taylor and my boyhood idle Gary Clark; whom Santana has reminded me the most of in the time since Gary hung it up. Both undersized at 5'9. But both explosive, 100% effort guys who played like they where 7'9. Lightening quick, aggressive and totally fearless for the cause. And the most receiving yards in a season from any player in our rich history as mentioned above surpassing another Hall of Fame great Bobby Mitchell. His ability in space after the catch has been a true art form in itself. Totaly devastating.

Had Santana Moss been in a more stable environment other than the mess he's been part of in DC, I'm convinced he would of gone down as one of the all time great receivers this game has ever seen. Could you imagine him with Peyton and Marvin on the outside? Or in the slot ala Welker with Brady? Man alive the prospect is frightening to conjure up.

As it is, we've been REAL privileged to have our own memory's over the past 9 seasons of one of the best receivers this franchise has ever employed. A true all time great Redskin. For MUCH of the '00's, he, Cooley and Portis almost single handedly carried this franchise. A real hard working, team first guy who let his talent do the talking for him. And 9 times out of 10 he took care of business and then some. A humble dude who more often than not always put his success down to his teammates and the opportunity's Coach Gibbs in particular afforded him. A guy loved in every locker room he's ever been in. And a selfless one who took a pay cut when he could well of milked it out to try help his team in their hour of cap need last year.

If I had one wish to bring the curtain down on this truly horrific 2013 Washington Redskins season it would be for Santana Moss to be on the field for EVERY offensive play Sunday, to be targeted HEAVILY, and for him to go out with the 11 receptions he needs to move into second place behind only the great Art Monk in all time Redskins receptions. That would be SO fitting and SO deserved.

Thank you 'Tana. For everything. You're leaving some BIG shoes to fill from such a small guy.

And just because, here's his Redskin numbers to date:

2005-2013. 135 Games/ 105 Starts. Ever present starter for his first 7 seasons up until the age of 33.

Through the air:

569 Receptions.

7,738 yards.

Average 13.6 yards a reception.

Long of 78 for a TD.

47 TD's.

379 First down pass receptions.

106 Receptions for between 20-40 yards,

30 Receptions of 40 yards or more.

On the ground:

27 rushes for 160 yards (5.10 yards per rush), with a long of 35 yards. 7 carries for first downs, with 3 over 20 yards,

In the return game:

Kick-Off Returns- 3 for 53 yards. (17.7 yard average.). Long of 26.

Punt Returns:

37 for 323 yards. (8.7 yard average.), Long of 80 for a TD on an electrifying return in Detroit in '08. One of the VERY few highlights of the Zorn era. 2 more going for over 20 yards, with another over 40.

Throw in another 18 receptions for 208 yards (11.6 average) and 2 TD's, along with 2 carries for 12 yards from 4 paloff games.

WR #89 Santana Terrell Moss. A TRUE Washington Redskins GREAT from ANY era.

Hail. .

He has been a good Redskin for sure and a good number 2 receiver...well until recently. Class act at all times though. I just hope we get to say farewell to Rex Grossman so we don't have to keep looking at that "Sexy Rexy" picture about 15 times on all of the threads. lol.

A lot of good memories thanks to him. The game winning overtime TD against Jacksonville in 2006 is one of the most memorable for me, besides the Cowboys 'miracle' game. Probably my favorite Redskin of all time.

I really hope he retires as a Redskin and doesn't try to get with another team next year.

A lot of good memories thanks to him. The game winning overtime TD against Jacksonville in 2006 is one of the most memorable for me, besides the Cowboys 'miracle' game. Probably my favorite Redskin of all time.

I really hope he retires as a Redskin and doesn't try to get with another team next year.

Oh heck yeah. What was that like 2, 3 plays into OT? FedEx went absolutely nuts as he streaked clear for the win. 

Good shout man. Another magical Moss moment. 

Hail. 

I do love me some 'Tana. And while I knew the day he'd leave the team was coming it still doesn't make it any easier. Come on, man. One more year. Dude deserves to go out on a better note than this (so did Fletch but he already said he was done).

but there is no reason to think he won't be back right? So this is a "you've been great, but get the **** out" thread, instead of a simple appreciation thread? That's kind of ****ed up.

he's in his mid thirties and most people are hoping the Skins will get bigger, younger, and depending on whether they go free agent or draft, possibly cheaper.

there's very few of our free agents that people want and are expecting back.  Orakpo, Jackson, Hall, Baker

he's in his mid thirties and most people are hoping the Skins will get bigger, younger, and depending on whether they go free agent or draft, possibly cheaper.

there's very few of our free agents that people want and are expecting back.  Orakpo, Jackson, Hall, Baker

why not Moss? why not think he'll come back cheaper. he has been Mr. Clutch for years. I don't think he is ready to be finished and I don't see him looking for another team. Moss IS a redskin, I doubt he leaves.

The winning bomb against the hated cowboys that sent a shiver thru skins nation. And that screen pass against the chiefs. He got outside .... turned on the jets and took it eighty for the td.

I can see him streaking down the sideline now. Travesty we never won that game. Totally dominated them. Who's the great Chiefs back who's name I can't quite recall who made the difference?

Hail. 

why not Moss? why not think he'll come back cheaper. he has been Mr. Clutch for years. I don't think he is ready to be finished and I don't see him looking for another team. Moss IS a redskin, I doubt he leaves.

I think most people just figure he's done, or is about to be.  Garcon is consistently talked about as the only top receiver we have.  We have people wanting us to get a new number two WR.  We have people who like Hankerson, just not as a 2WR.  There's Jordan Reed.  It'd be a lot of money to spend for the 5th recieving threat on the team(Garcon, new guy, Reed, Hankerson) and people also like Nick Williams 

I can see him streaking down the sideline now. Travesty we never won that game. Totally dominated them. Who's the great Chiefs back who's name I can't quite recall who made the difference?

Hail. 

I believe it was Priest Holmes? That man was a beast.

RIGHT! Thank you man. That was bugging the heck out of me but I was trying to pull it without looking it up.  :lol:

Hail. 

I hate it when that happens  :D

That took me a while as well to dig that up. However, I just looked it up after reading your post and it might have been Larry Johnson. Although I'm not sure if he was starting and Holmes was injured?

Regardless, Moss is one of those players that unfortunately will leave the NFL without a ring.

Ridiculous to call Moss a legend.  He was a very good player but because the Skins  have absolutely sucked, he's way overvalued by the fan base.  He got paid, just like Laverneus Coles told him he would.

I see, so legends can't make good money?  And they can't play for bad teams.  So there's plenty of NFL teams with no legends to their names, I guess.

Moss may not be an NFL legend, but I think he's done enough to be called a Redskins one

Archived