Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The "Black Monday" prediction poll

Gart Monk

What is your prediction for 2014?  

199 members have voted

1. 1. What is your prediction for 2014?

• Mike Shanahan is fired. New Head Coach for 2014.
    • Mike gets to finish his 5th year. It's "do-or-die"
    • Mike gets an extension with "full control"
    • Mike gets an extension with "stipulations"
    • Mike stays. Kyle, Haslett & Burns are replaced.
    • Mike stays. Haslett & Burns are replaced.
    • Specail Teams are the core problem. Just replace Burns.

I voted that we would have a new head coach. The drama surrounding this situation will only grow exponentially if Shan stays on for year 5, especially if he doesn't have an extension. Which I don't think he has even remotely begun to earn. Snyder is going to lose money either way. He clearly isn't packing his stadium this season. So he needs to cut his losses and do what's right for the organization.

Snyder will clean house after Shanahan does his exit interviews with the players and coaches. Shanahan will meet with Snyder and discuss his plans and Snyder will inform him of his plans. They will come to an agreement and Mike and staff are gone with some sort of severance package. Not what he is owed, but more than he deserves. This team has underperformed  on a weekly basis and that's the coaches fault.

Exactly.  There are plenty of people that "pretend" to be in the know.  However I suspect that in order to be in the know on this one these people would have to have direct access to Dan Snyder.  There are plenty of people that make guesses.  And some of those guesses will be right.  But they will be guesses all the same. 

there are people who know here.   I'm not one of them, they don't always post, and almost never argue or debate.   They say their piece and go like the wind.

Um what?

Who are these ppl that have spoken out besides Tony Dungy (who isn't considering a return to coaching?)

How do you know coaches won't come here? Has O'Brien, Jay Gruden, Bevel, Smith, Zimmer, or anybody like that said they wouldn't?

Firing Marty didn't stop coaches from wanting to come here. Neither did firing Zorn. 

There are not many football minds that will turn down a HC gig. 

The Raiders seem to get coaches to come just fine as do the Browns, Jags, etc. As long as there is money to be made, coaches will come

There are 32 HC jobs in the world. I find it exceptionally hard to believe that any legit candidate would turn down any NFL job even the Jags.

And the whole Dungy quote is exxagerated. I was watching that show with him and Rodney Harrison and Dan Patrick. They posed to him a loaded question that assumed the leaks about Dan and Snyder were true and he responded.

Dungy:“I don’t blame that all on RGIII,” Dungy then said. “That is the landscape of Washington with Daniel Snyder. He tries to create the celebrity status. You go back to Deion Sanders, Bruce Smith all the big name guys he’s brought in there — they put that around RGIII.”

Patrick on RG III: “It’s also tough to be a normal player when the owner treats you differently. He wants to be your buddy.”

Dungy: “You have to build a team, not build a collection of stars.”

Patrick: “Would you want to work for him? For Daniel Snyder?” Patrick asked.

Dungy:“No, no,” Dungy said. “When you’re interviewing coaches for the job, and you haven’t told me I’ve lost the job yet? No, I would NOT want to work for him.”

SUM:

Dungy is assuming b/c Patrick suggested that: Snyder was looking for coaches without having told Mike he was being fired. (which wasn't/and as fas as we know isn't true)

Coaches are a band of brothers and they stick together the idea that an owner was looking for coaches before firing the current coach is unsavory. (ironically Mike Shanahan had no problem with that)

And under the assumption that Griffin and Dan have closer relationship then actually exsist.

15 games under 500 for his 4 year tenure

Defense that ranks at the bottom of league

Benched the franchise qb with three games to play

Pretty much a returning roster that was division champs

Wont win a division game this year.

Special teams that are the worse in the league.

Etc..................

Yeah, he has to be gone.

Um what?

Who are these ppl that have spoken out besides Tony Dungy (who isn't considering a return to coaching?)

How do you know coaches won't come here? Has O'Brien, Jay Gruden, Bevel, Smith, Zimmer, or anybody like that said they wouldn't?

Firing Marty didn't stop coaches from wanting to come here. Neither did firing Zorn. 

There are not many football minds that will turn down a HC gig. 

The Raiders seem to get coaches to come just fine as do the Browns, Jags, etc. As long as there is money to be made, coaches will come

Good example, never thought about how the Raiders, Browns, and Jags don't have a problem getting coaches!  Each one of them seem to have been successful and are good examples to use to validate your point!!

You throw enough money at someone, sure they will come.  We threw a lot of money at Zorn (because we had so many other Coaches who were lined up waiting to coach this team) at Gibbs II (again, there were so many waiting in the wings to replace Spurrier) and Marty (biggest mistake was firing him).

It will be hard to find a proven Coach who has had previous success wanting to come here.

There are 32 HC jobs in the world. I find it exceptionally hard to believe that any legit candidate would turn down any NFL job even the Jags.

And the whole Dungy quote is exxagerated. I was watching that show with him and Rodney Harrison and Dan Patrick. They posed to him a loaded question that assumed the leaks about Dan and Snyder were true and he responded.

Dungy:“I don’t blame that all on RGIII,” Dungy then said. “That is the landscape of Washington with Daniel Snyder. He tries to create the celebrity status. You go back to Deion Sanders, Bruce Smith all the big name guys he’s brought in there — they put that around RGIII.”

Patrick on RG III: “It’s also tough to be a normal player when the owner treats you differently. He wants to be your buddy.”

Dungy: “You have to build a team, not build a collection of stars.”

Patrick: “Would you want to work for him? For Daniel Snyder?” Patrick asked.

Dungy:“No, no,” Dungy said. “When you’re interviewing coaches for the job, and you haven’t told me I’ve lost the job yet? No, I would NOT want to work for him.”

SUM:

Dungy is assuming b/c Patrick suggested that: Snyder was looking for coaches without having told Mike he was being fired. (which wasn't/and as fas as we know isn't true)

Coaches are a band of brothers and they stick together the idea that an owner was looking for coaches before firing the current coach is unsavory. (ironically Mike Shanahan had no problem with that)

And under the assumption that Griffin and Dan have closer relationship then actually exsist.

Or he was refering to the GW/ Blanche scenario. 

Good example, never thought about how the Raiders, Browns, and Jags don't have a problem getting coaches!  Each one of them seem to have been successful and are good examples to use to validate your point!!

You throw enough money at someone, sure they will come.  We threw a lot of money at Zorn (because we had so many other Coaches who were lined up waiting to coach this team) at Gibbs II (again, there were so many waiting in the wings to replace Spurrier) and Marty (biggest mistake was firing him).

It will be hard to find a proven Coach who has had previous success wanting to come here.

Gruden, and Cowher have said they wouldn't. 

15 games under 500 for his 4 year tenure

Defense that ranks at the bottom of league

Benched the franchise qb with three games to play

Pretty much a returning roster that was division champs

Wont win a division game this year.

Special teams that are the worse in the league.

Etc..................

Yeah, he has to be gone.

RG3 was taking too many hits... not a good reason.   (I've never seen a QB take more)

I would have no issues with firing MS and the entire staff. That being said, if your plan is to fire MS and bring in Art Briles, then, I would not agree to that (Not implying Dan Snyder would care 2 cents for my opinion). The only way I would agree to that is if it included RGIII being traded!!! There is no way you can bring in RGIII's College coach and expect players to rally around their QB. The perception (often reality)would be the power RGIII would have and it would create more harm than good.

Dungy has not coached in 5 years, why do we care about what he says ??

In fact there was a twitter post that said he would not coach in Detroit, and in fact would not coach

anywhere, he wants to stay retired.

Agreed. I think of Dungy, Cowher, and Gruden as TV personalities, not football coaches.

He's outta here for sure.

I was a Shanafan to start with and often praised both him and the FO for their good decisions and professionalism. I believed in the 4-5 year plan and even urged others to give it time. But enough is enough, if anything the team is regressing. We've got just as many holes to fill as before and the circus is back in town after a brief hiatus.

The only thing that may save him is the money. I've heard numbers anywhere between seven & 25 mill, which aint exactly peanuts even for a rich dude. But I think Snyder does the right thing for the team and Shanahan's history. 

I know this may not make sense, however, maybe going into the College ranks to find a Coach who WAS an NFL HC would work.  It worked for Seattle and Pete Carroll.

That being said, what about Jim Mora Jr?  He has done pretty well since leaving the NFL.  Just a thought.

Four years into a rebuild all mistakes are owned by the person in charge.  Shanahan is at fault for the defense because he kept Haslett.  He's at fault for the special teams because he hand picked the coach, who clearly wasn't up to the task.  He's at fault for all of it and there is no getting around his awful record.  

Mike Shanahan has failed as a head coach and as a GM.  There is nothing left to do but finish the season, fire him, and start searching for the next Dan Snyder hire.  

I hope the Jets fire Rex Ryan and we immediately move on him.  He's a good coach, I feel the players respond to him.  I would much rather have a team that is dominant at D and keeps us in games when the offense isn't clicking.  Our O right now is certainly 10x better then he has ever had in his Jets tenure.  We need to stop hiring arrogant boneheads like the Mike character.  I'm sick and tired of talent being benched because of something so dumb and stupid.  If you enter the Mike doghouse, you don't leave either.  Rex benches, especially his DB's but they arent inactive for the next 8 games you need to learn from your mistakes and get yourself out.

Dude. Proven coaches don't usually become available because they are usually employed since they don't suck.

Shanahan is a rare example of a SB-winning coach becoming available. 

Look at recent SB winners, they were coached by guys that were just making their names in the league (i.e. Harbaugh, McCarthy, Payton, Tomlin. etc.)

Just found out the Houston Texans are lining up Lovie Smith for an interview. It's a shame this team didn't fire Shan after the KC debacle. Now we're getting a late start in the coaching search.

Oh hell what am I thinking, this is the Redskins - lunacy/madness/frustration all rolled into one.

On @ESPNRadio980 @AdamSchefter said he believes it ends, and ends early next week if not SUN night or Monday for Shanny and the #Redskins.

It's a question of when Shanny gets fired not if - right after the game or on Monday. I'd bet on Monday personally.

Dude. Proven coaches don't usually become available because they are usually employed since they don't suck.

Shanahan is a rare example of a SB-winning coach becoming available. 

Look at recent SB winners, they were coached by guys that were just making their names in the league (i.e. Harbaugh, McCarthy, Payton, Tomlin. etc.)

No doubt, there will be coaches who will come here for the money.  Your statement about the Raiders, Jaguars and Browns being able to hire coaches was a bad example (those teams are all horrible and have been for some time).

That being said, the list you just provided makes for a much better argument and if we could find a diamond in the rough, would be awesome..

On @ESPNRadio980 @AdamSchefter said he believes it ends, and ends early next week if not SUN night or Monday for Shanny and the #Redskins.

It's a question of when Shanny gets fired not if - right after the game or on Monday. I'd bet on Monday personally.

Definitely Monday.

And no, people would prefer not to coach here.  Remember in 2007 who wanted to coach here?  Nobody?

And what was the controversy that year?  Oh yeah, Gibbs retiring and one of our players being murdered.  There was *NO* circus here and people still didn't want to come.

You're fooling yourself if you think that we're at the top of anyone's list.  I feel that Snyder has proven himself quite a bit this time (not perfect, though) to not be the same owner from 2000, but if this is the type of thing that happens in Ashburn, then a lot of people will stay away.

Can we fire MS during Halftime? That would be something that has NEVER happened!!!! How about we fire him at halftime (along with the entire staff), let RGIII coach the 2nd half, let London Fletcher coach the Defense and bring in Brian Mitchell to coach the ST the second half!!! Man, what a way to end this already laughable / horrible season

This.

Who has been a proven coach who went somewhere else and did well?  Dungy was traded and didn't have super success yet, Holmgren got Seattle to the Super Bowl, Lombardi died, and Belichick was putting together something extremely special before the Browns got shut down.

That's four examples of success-ish in the past four decades with three of them not being fired (can't remember with Holmgren).

You don't become available because you're good at what you do.

And interestingly, when Sheehan asked Schefter to name three possible HC candidates the reply (which Schefter insisted was a pure guess at this point) was: Lovie Smith, Ken Whisenhunt, and Russ Grimm.

Schefter was amazing to have when we had Shanahan since Schefty was Shanny's inside man, but I don't think that he would be quite the 99.99% accurate source when it comes to things not Shanahan.

And all three of those coaches would make me vomit.

Archived