Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

This was the Shannys' best shot

Burgold

I saw more fire out of Mike and Jim than I have all season on the sideline or booth. I think they really wanted this game. Last week, they thought they were somewhat vindicated and with a win the pr battle would be theirs and all the crap would be laid on RGIII's feet.

This was their best swing and they got a foul tip. Receivers and QB not on the same page, misused time outs, decision to dial down the pressure.... All coaching.

I think they wanted this one badly because if they got it they could scream that the fault was Griffin, the cap penalty, Dan and the Dad meddling, but by removing RGIII and the Dan's influence the result is clear.

Well, the result is clear. They are just good enough to compete and lose to bad teams. No difference who is at QB.

Those five receiver stacked sets and everything else you tried illustrate the effects of four years of your teaching and discipline.

The shannies tried to make this a statement game. I think they succeeded.

RG3 against Dallas: 19/29 246 0/1 9/77

Cousins against Dallas: 21/36 195 1/1

Sure Cousins got sacked less, but did it matter?

The problem with this team hasn't been the QB. It's been the AWFUL special teams, which gave the Cwoboys an easy and early 7 points. And the defense not being able to get off the field in crucial situations. Dallas converted 2 4th downs included the game winner on 4th and Goal from the 10.

Cousins has clearly played better and smarter then Griffin, but your right about the real problem with this team. The coaches did a terrible job this season and at least 2 coaches must go after the NY game, Haslett and Burns. They can not remain here or this team will finish last place again next season. There is no excuse for giving Romo sits to pee or any other QB in this league that much time on their last shot to win the game. You have to send pressure, every coach and every fan of this game knows this, all except our defensive coach Jim Haslett. Danny can fire him this week for all I care, let Fletcher call the plays, no doubt he could do better.

The Cowboys defense has been torched for the last 6 weeks, yet Kirk "Sunshine" Cousins can't even break the 200 yard barrier. Better QB my ass, if anything his value is being diminished.

It's like Shan is lighting kerosene all over the team then lighting a match after week 17.

Cousins has clearly played better and smarter then Griffin, but your right about the real problem with this team. The coaches did a terrible job this season and at least 2 coaches must go after the NY game, Haslett and Burns. They can not remain here or this team will finish last place again next season. There is no excuse for giving Romo sits to pee or any other QB in this league that much time on their last shot to win the game. You have to send pressure, every coach and every fan of this game knows this, all except our defensive coach Jim Haslett. Danny can fire him this week for all I care, let Fletcher call the plays, no doubt he could do better.

You're forgetting to mention 2 other coaches that must go as well.  Let's not turn this thread into that argument though.  Meet me at any of the other 10 threads on that topic to talk more.

The fact that Cousins looked absolutely pedestrian against a defense that's been giving up over 400 yds/game tells me he is an adequate backup - nothing more, nothing less. A decade from now I expect his career will mirror Frerotte (minus the head butt) or Tommy Maddox.

Yup. When you look at what recent QBs, backup QBs at that, have done to Dallas, you would've expected Cousins to have a much better day. His numbers from yesterday weren't all that better than what RG3 did against Dallas back in Week 6.

Yup. When you look at what recent QBs, backup QBs at that, have done to Dallas, you would've expected Cousins to have a much better day. His numbers from yesterday weren't all that better than what RG3 did against Dallas back in Week 6.

So RG3 is a backup QB too?

I think this game just confirms that it is time for the staff to exit.  I just don't see how they are going to turn it around next year even if they get some new coaches.  The same people are bringing in the same level of talent we have now.

I think we need to start rebuilding, and not waste another year.

The fact that Cousins looked absolutely pedestrian against a defense that's been giving up over 400 yds/game tells me he is an adequate backup - nothing more, nothing less. A decade from now I expect his career will mirror Frerotte (minus the head butt) or Tommy Maddox.

What did it tell you when he torched the Browns and the Falcons?

The Browns defense averaged 245 passing yards per game.  Cousins torched them for 329.

The Falcons defense averaged 255 passing yards per game.  Cousins torched them for 381.

Why does this 1 game against the Cowboys outweigh the 2 other games?  Maybe the Cowboys just have our number?  Maybe great QBs don't necessarily exceed the other team's averages every single week?

...When Griffin looked absolutely pedestrian (actually, worse) against the Cowboys this season, why did you not also conclude that his career will end up like Frerotte's?

I enjoyed it when the defense showed fire on the field at certain points. It almost had me thinking I was watching a real team. But, I wasn't. The fire wasn't lit under their ass by the coaches, it was Dallas and London day.

I think that sums up everything very well. For about a quarter i was watching a real team play...not so much

What did it tell you when he torched the Browns and the Falcons?

The Browns defense averaged 245 passing yards per game.  Cousins torched them for 329.

The Falcons defense averaged 255 passing yards per game.  Cousins torched them for 381.

Why does this 1 game against the Cowboys outweigh the 2 other games?  Maybe the Cowboys just have our number?  Maybe great QBs don't necessarily exceed the other team's averages every single week?

...When Griffin looked absolutely pedestrian (actually, worse) against the Cowboys this season, why did you not also conclude that his career will end up like Frerotte's?

The Falcons are ranked #24 in points allowed, #22 in yards allowed, and by the time of the Redskins game, had nothing to play for.  Nothing against Cousins, but he has only played one team in contention for the playoffs, and that is the Cowboys.  They have a historically bad defense and are playing 5th stringers at some of the defensive positions.  I thought Cousins did pretty well yesterday, just nothing to get really excited about.  

QB isn't the problem, and hoping that there is one guy on the roster that can make the very real problems at 10 other positions go away is ridiculous (not accusing you of that - just the general tenor around here).

The Falcons are ranked #24 in points allowed, #22 in yards allowed, and by the time of the Redskins game, had nothing to play for.  Nothing against Cousins, but he has only played one team in contention for the playoffs, and that is the Cowboys.  They have a historically bad defense and are playing 5th stringers at some of the defensive positions.  I thought Cousins did pretty well yesterday, just nothing to get really excited about.  

QB isn't the problem, and hoping that there is one guy on the roster that can make the very real problems at 10 other positions go away is ridiculous (not accusing you of that - just the general tenor around here).

The Browns were in contention when Cousins eliminated them.  The Falcons are actually the only team he's started against that was not in playoff contention.

The Cowboys defense has been torched for the last 6 weeks, yet Kirk "Sunshine" Cousins can't even break the 200 yard barrier. Better QB my ass, if anything his value is being diminished.

It's like Shan is lighting kerosene all over the team then lighting a match after week 17.

When Shanny benched RG3 he said that Kirk's value couldn't decrease.  Words I didn't agree with then and don't agree with now.

LOL

Contention for what???? They were 5-8. In a division with Baltimore, Cincy, and Pitt. Come on. 

you really don't have to make **** up

It's a fact that they were still in the playoff hunt until the Redskins beat them.  They had won 4 of their previous 6 games and could still make the playoffs.  Nothing was made up - that's an actual fact.

Holy cow, why does it always boil down to RGIII vs. Kirk Cousins?  I really don't understand, RGIII has looked horrible this year against some really bad defenses and has looked horrible against bad defenses.  Kirk Cousins looked good last week and looked average yesterday against a team that obviously knew what we were trying to do. 

The biggest mistake MS made this year was starting RGIII in game 1!!!!!  He should have started Kirk Cousins until after the bye week, then put RGIII in.  RGIII is the franchise QB (whether we like it or not), but he was not ready to play week 1.  This season isn't about RGIII vs Kirk Cousins, it was about how bad the ST were, how bad the Defense was, how predictable the play calling was on the offensive side of the ball.

The only way MS needs to stay is if the entire staff is fired and replaced with veteran coaches.  If not, fire EVERYBODY.  And one more thing, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE DO NOT HIRE BRILES AS THE NEXT HEAD COACH!!!!!!!  THAT WOULD BE THE BIGGEST MISTAKE (BESIDES ZORNY)  AND WOULD DESTROY THE LOCKER ROOM!!!!!

When Shanny benched RG3 he said that Kirk's value couldn't decrease.  Words I didn't agree with then and don't agree with now.

I never had him down as getting anything more than a third at best. Now, we'd do well to get anothing more than what we originaly gave up. 

This has been another woefully bad exercise all around on a luxury pick we could ill afford. 

Hail. 

Archived