Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Good Thing About Being Awful Is That It Doesn't Hurt

kleese

I had the game on today; I wasn't really into it, did a few other things while the game was going on and was much more excited about going to the Thunder game tonight, but I did watch. That makes me 15 for 15 this year and keeps me somewhere in the 95-99% range of Redskins games watched from start to finish since 1990 when I first learned about satellite dishes. Was probably around 50% prior to that.

Point being, I've seen it all now. I haven't bailed yet, so it's likely not going to happen. I watched all the misery this year and I'll be there next year again.

Today didn't hurt at all. I think I said "damn" when Murray crossed the goal line and my stomach sank for a moment based on habit and instinct. But I was fine three minutes later. If that game mattered, this would be a crushing loss. But it was all very "eh" to me. I couldn't even force myself to care.

The "rivalry" means little to me thesedays. I really don't care about the Cowboys much one way or the other. They are insignificant to me. They are simply a better version of us the past 17 years or so--- highly disappointing with a revolving door of coaches and heartbreaking losses. They have managed to be more consistently competitive than we have and Romo sits to pee has helped keep them relevant, but ultimately they are dysfunctional as well and not much closer to a SB than we are.

If I don't have the energy to care much whether we win or lose, I certainly don't have the energy to root against them. It was cool last year when we played them in week 17, but meaningful games with Dallas are so few and far between these days that the luster of "hating" them has kind of worn off and it feels forced to me.

So that's the good thing about checking out around Thanksgiving--- the Skins can't ruin Christmas. I can remember Romeo Bandison grabbing Jake Plummer's face mask in 1996. They game and play are forever embedded in my brain. It meant so much to me at the time that it has stayed with me all these years later. But the Murray play won't follow me--- might not even remember it down the road. It will be lost amidst the memories of this lousy, forgettable season.

No pain today. Not a bit. A brief sigh and a slight feeling of sadness for Fletcher, but even that faded fast.

I feel like I was a good fan once again in 2013. I was absurdly excited week one and didn't really lose hope until the Vikings loss. I went to games at Dallas and Denver and made some nice memories despite the losing outcomes. I was butterflies and pacing through the Vikings game. I then watched the Eagles and Niners game in emotional purgatory where I knew it was over, but was still getting a little worked up over it for whatever reason. Since the Niners loss, I've watched the next four games in a state of total apathy. Thankful I'm a Thunder fan and able to channel my energy there. But I've watched. Feel like I've paid my dues for yet another year at a satisfactory level. I feel like I can officially check out now with no regrets. I have zero interest in the game next week. I'm not protesting it. I am not making a stand. I just don't care. Not at all. My reaction would be the same if we won 45-0 or lost 45-0. I've watched every game in the Shanny era thus far--- I will be missing the last one.

Bad year, but I also feel liberated. Can move on to other things now. No real interest in discussing the changes or off season. I'll check in a see what's going on, but I won't really feel a Redskins tug again until sometime in late June or so after the NBA season ends.

I will no doubt be back. I will no doubt be hopeful that whoever we have running the show next year will do us right. And somewhere around mid August I will start getting really jazzed for the 2014 season to start.

But when Murray crossed that goal line and I felt nothing..: that's all I needed to know about how 2013 went.

Dude.

Perfect post. Exactly how I feel, especially about the Dallas "rivalry". 

Watched the game and the Drexel BB game as well (they are now 8-3. CAA CHAMPIONSHIP!). 

Did nothing but laugh the whole time. Both at the two teams as well as the fans that were surprised at the result.

When Romo sits to pee threw the TD pass, I scared myself with how apathetic I was. I was more concerned with tweeting my Eagles friends that they were foolish for seriously relying on the Redskins to do anything.

This offseason will probably be an "ehh" one for me. I'll pay attention but won't start getting back to how I was until they win. Judge if you want. 

Sometimes I think fans self-loath as coping mechanism. By that, I mean that they make proclamations about not watching or not caring or not buying merchandise, etc...

But they do it because they are still so invested and just frustrated and want to vent their anger.

There is also "I told you we would lose" guy. The dude that predicts us to lose 45-3 every week and spends the entire game predicting they will blow it and finding a negative spin on every play. That guy is dealing with it by trying to protect himself by preparing for it, but he still really cares too.

I never try to do either of those things. I just watch and see what my true gut reaction is.

This year, I knew something was "off" from week one, but for 9 games anticipated the games all week, looked forward to them, woke up on gameday excited and nervous, and watched with great intensity. I didn't plan on doing that per se--

It's just how I felt. Then, for two weeks I was in the middle. Then, nothing other than enough interest to take the time to watch the game.

I wasn't angry or protesting today. I wasn't sure how much I'd care. Wound up I didn't care much. Didn't feel much of anything all game. I did want them to make the 4th down stop and I sighed and cringed a bit when they didn't. But I turned and walked away and it was over for me right then and there. That was just my natural reaction to the game and the play.

Sometimes I think fans self-loath as coping mechanism. By that, I mean that they make proclamations about not watching or not caring or not buying merchandise, etc...

But they do it because they are still so invested and just frustrated and want to vent their anger.

There is also "I told you we would lose" guy. The dude that predicts us to lose 45-3 every week and spends the entire game predicting they will blow it and finding a negative spin on every play. That guy is dealing with it by trying to protect himself by preparing for it, but he still really cares too.

I never try to do either of those things. I just watch and see what my true gut reaction is.

This year, I knew something was "off" from week one, but for 9 games anticipated the games all week, looked forward to them, woke up on gameday excited and nervous, and watched with great intensity. I didn't plan on doing that per se--

It's just how I felt. Then, for two weeks I was in the middle. Then, nothing other than enough interest to take the time to watch the game.

I wasn't angry or protesting today. I wasn't sure how much I'd care. Wound up I didn't care much. Didn't feel much of anything all game. I did want them to make the 4th down stop and I sighed and cringed a bit when they didn't. But I turned and walked away and it was over for me right then and there. That was just my natural reaction to the game and the play.

I gave up on the season after the Vikings game. Hell, today I didn't even wake up until the play that Dallas scored their first TD. 

The whole apathy part is new to me. Even in 2009 and 2011, I remember being excited as soon as I woke up. 

But I've been the "told you so" dude since then admittedly. I never post "Dallas touchdown coming up" or anything like that but I've been pretty depressing in the prediction threads. 

This was the first sunday I worked this year because my coworker had a death in the family and I offered to work for her. I work with a guy who is a huge cowboys fan and me and him are like brothers at work. He is my football equal and we spend a lot of time being respectful to eachothers feelings as "battered fans". However when I checked my phone with 1 min left in the game and us up by 6 with the cowboys facing 4th and 10...I thought we cant find a way to **** this up now can we?....I refreshed and refreshed my phone waiting for the result of the play....anticipated the possesion icon the switch to the redskins side and for me to take a jab at my coworker.  However the Skins managed to find a way to do what they seem to have always done to me on sundays...break my heart. Thankfully my coworker "Ty" as we call him, was a better man than I would have been and he spoke no words to me in regards to the game...even after i premptivly said "those damn cowboys..." in his direction...

I could never imagine a day where a Redskins game meant nothing and was painless, maybe one day I will become so lucky...so numb.

I was sleep during a lot of the game. When we got the lead I said to myself, "How are we going to mess this one up?" I then woke up just in time for the 2 final plays and when Dallas scored my attitude was "ehh" then I rolled over and went back to sleep.

This is where this team has pushed me.

I had the complete opposite experience Big Ed.

Sunday was the most I've been into a game all year. I wanted to win SO badly for London. Second half I was whooping and hollering like a mad man. The folks in the apartment below must of thought murder was being committed as that hasn't been the case most all year. And within that, my deep dislike for Dallas started to resurface too.

Of course I should of known better as they still found a way to rip out my heart and stamp all over it at the end AGAIN.

But I can honestly say I was glued to the screen and into yesterday's game like no other this season.

And, mainly for London it's true, it hurt like a MF at the end.

Hail.

It always hurts, especially when its a sweep by Dallas.

All the RG3-10 comments hurt.

The RG3rd String hurts.

Our coach getting called Rat Face hurts.

This stuff hurts way too much to ever be apathetic, just way to much.

BcJaOtNCAAA2L3A.jpg

I knew that after last season this team, this organization, would be beyond such crap like this. After a great wonderful season I know now I was blinded by those damn burgundy and gold glases.

But nothing has been learned. Nothing has changed. The bigest group of underachievers the Skins have ever produced.I can't say this team gave up on the season. They just have no talent. Not enough to start a game or enough to finnish any game with the will to win.

This hurts. Friends will tell me life goes on. Yes it does of course. I work, eat, love my family. But on a Sunday I watch my Skins. And I wan't disciplind football. The will to win. Either put away the opossing team or finnish them off with a great win. Then I wan't to get up on a Monday morning and go to work. And talk about my Skins on a great game. A great win.

Can't do that .Instead I have to either defend their inept performance or just keep my mouth shut. Most times now foks just look my way and shake their head. Hell I feel like ive been bamboozeld by this organization.

This crap is killing me deep. A season like this should not have been allowed by any measure. But Lord this team is putrid.

Whatever makes you feel better kleese.

That's the thing KG, I didn't know how I'd feel which is why I never say things prior to the game really. I just wait until it happens and see what my natural reaction is. I felt nothing other than a momentary sting. Seriously, 60 seconds later I was over it.

Losing to Dallas DOES HURT.

Being 3-12 HURTS LIKE A MOTHER****ER.

EACH and EVERY game.

Yep it hurts like hell.  I actually wasn't bothered by the loss that much when it first happened.  Then I looked on my facebook newsfeed a couple hours later and saw all of the Cowboy fans talking ****...to me that's the worst part of losing to the Cowboys.  Here in Southern VA you'd think we live in Texas.  Cowboy fans everywhere.  That's why the rivalry is still very big to me and it always will be.  There is nothing better than beating them, and there is nothing worse than losing to them, especially being swept I'll have to listen to the noise until next season.

BREAKING NEWS: after the Thunder's shocking loss to the Toronto Raptors on Sunday might, kleese has decided to give up sports altogether. He is expected to resume being a fan once the team starts winning again, sources say.

That one didn't sting either, but for a much better reason :) Won 9 in a row, 13-0 at home, back to back off an emotional win at San Antonio...law of averages and dead legs catching up to them. No biggie.

I had the complete opposite experience Big Ed.

Sunday was the most I've been into a game all year. I wanted to win SO badly for London. Second half I was whooping and hollering like a mad man. The folks in the apartment below must of thought murder was being committed as that hasn't been the case most all year. And within that, my deep dislike for Dallas started to resurface too.

Of course I should of known better as they still found a way to rip out my heart and stamp all over it at the end AGAIN.

But I can honestly say I was glued to the screen and into yesterday's game like no other this season.

And, mainly for London it's true, it hurt like a MF at the end.

Hail.

I was vacuuming during Dallas's final drive. Picking up around the house. I was borderline bored. Just being honest. Losing that game to Dallas was no different to me than losing to Atlanta or anyone else. And this coming from a guy who lives in Cowboy country. The two teams are too irrelevant for me to care. I was getting texts from my Cowboy friend fans mocking both teams and joking about whether or not one coach on either staff will be there next year.

I guess I shouldn't say I didn't "care." If I didn't care at all, I wouldn't bother to watch or post here about it. More accurate would be to say that the outcome didn't affect me at all. I won't watch next week most likely...not because I'm mad or it hurts too much or I feel like protesting. Just sounds dull and uninteresting to me and I don't think we will be able to glean anything considering both teams will likely have their eyes on vacation by the time kickoff rolls around.

Last game I didn't watch was the 2009 finale at San Diego. This has the same feel to me, but minus the draft pick implication for us. Yawn.

I'm not quite as numb as you, Kleese.  I felt that way during the Eagles game and at KC.  Just lost in the fog.  I managed to stir a tiny bit.  I even managed to get a bit annoyed at the refs as they continued to allow their olinemen to tackle our pass rushers.  Still, if I compare this to the me I expect.... I'm on day one of a trek up Mt. Everest.

Archived