Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

One of the biggest myths on this board

Suffolk_Skins

Is that our fan base sucks.... This was the first home game I have missed in a while but everyone who turned up today gave it some and Fedex sounded very loud for a team with three wins all year. Considering what this team has gone through this year I don't buy it that we have poor fans. We have our fare share of drunken idiots but we don't have an overall bad following. All five home games I have been to this season, it has been loud and never completely turned on the team

I want to agree so badly...but all I heard the 4th quarter was cheering on every Romo sits to pee completion, & overtly loud chants of DE-FENSE!!! during every Redskins possession.

Same as the other 2 games I attended this year...our fans were outclassed by the few thousand or so opposing fans in attendance. We have no gonads...& opposing fans have no fear.

I want to agree so badly...but all I heard the 4th quarter was cheering on every Romo sits to pee completion, & overtly loud chants of DE-FENSE!!! during every Redskins possession.

Same as the other 2 games I attended this year...our fans were outclassed by the few thousand or so opposing fans in attendance. We have no gonads...& opposing fans have no fear.

Blame this partially on the internet. It used to be very difficult to get a ticket in an opposing team's stadium. Stub hub and eBay leveled the playing field on fan noise. Yeah, some fans do in fact sell their seats, but most of these fans get their seats from individuals that buy multiple seats for the purpose of reselling.

I think the crowd was pretty good until Dallas scored that late TD to take the lead.  I have a feeling a lot of fans headed for the parking lot after that because that was really the first point you could hear the Cowboys fans making noise.

I expected it to be a lot worse. Especially after the shot right before the game that showed a ton of blue on the field level behind the Cowboys sideline.

Is that our fan base sucks.... This was the first home game I have missed in a while but everyone who turned up today gave it some and Fedex sounded very loud for a team with three wins all year. Considering what this team has gone through this year I don't buy it that we have poor fans. We have our fare share of drunken idiots but we don't have an overall bad following. All five home games I have been to this season, it has been loud and never completely turned on the team

FedEx Field is the United Nations stadium of the NFL. All flags are welcome and the holders are treated to a comfortable afternoon courtesy of a so called fan base that struggles to remember the responsibility that accompanies competitiveness.

Too many seats were sold to the Cowfans, thus taking away any true homefield advantage, either that of they showed all of them on TV. I could hear them cheering and laughing when they scored, that is crazy. ST holders need to stop selling to opposing fans, and they won't, but that is why they suck, they don't care. 

Blame this partially on the internet. It used to be very difficult to get a ticket in an opposing team's stadium. Stub hub and eBay leveled the playing field on fan noise. Yeah, some fans do in fact sell their seats, but most of these fans get their seats from individuals that buy multiple seats for the purpose of reselling.

truth to that and society has become narcissistic, so many just want the money..

Out of interest what games were you at? I really think this is overstated and we can be very loud at home. 

FedEx Field is the United Nations stadium of the NFL. All flags are welcome and the holders are treated to a comfortable afternoon courtesy of a so called fan base that struggles to remember the responsibility that accompanies competitiveness.

This is rubbish! 

No. Blame this on another year of hyped up preseason promise not delivered on by this organization.

Yay! We got rid of Norv things will change now!

Yay! We got rid of Shottenheimer things will change now!

Yay! We got rid of Spurrier things will change now!

Yay! We got rid of Gibbs things will change now!

Yay! We got rid of Zorn things will change now!

Let's get rid of Shanahan because things will change now!

Get your season tickets while you can! Pay me an average price of $79/seat so that you, too, can see the great team we will put on the field this year!

And don't sell them, because we have the best fans in the country! You don't need to try and recoup your losses because we can't beat anybody. Come on down & cheer for us!

Oh, and don't forget to bring that $40/game so you can park your car.

Mixed bag here.  The DC area is a tough one because so many folks here are from other areas of the country, and I get the sense that you have even a good number of the seats in the lower bowl that are owned by corporations and other entities, thus making it easier for fans of the opposition to scoop them up.

True the stadium did get pretty loud on times when the Skins were on defense, but it also got pretty loud when the Cowboys would do good things. I'd say the Cowboy fan turnout was just as bad as ever and probably on par with the number of Ravens fans that were there at the game last year.  I guess with a 3-11 team heading into the game, what can you expect.

It is probably a myth that the Redskins fan base sucks, but its equally a myth that we have a fantastic fanbase too.  We're probably average, and not on par with some of the teams following like Philly and Pittsburgh.

Quality response. Have you taken data from stadiums of winning teams. Did you ever attend a game at RFK? Losing is the precursor to apathy.

RFK had about 30,000 less seats, thus making it much harder for opposing fans to get tickets. That's comparing apples to oranges. Even if we have the same 50,000 people RFK had, there are still 30,000 seats available.We are not a good enough team to fill a stadium this large, especially in a transient area.

Well i have to disagree. When i hear all of these fans giving up on a 24 year old qb in his second year. I have to think to myself we have some real bone head fans. Just because they know how to get loud doesnt make them good. Hell some yell just to hear themselves yell.

Well, Fed Ex Field has never seemed like a home to me; dammit if I'd hit that big ass lottery, I'd fork over every penny to build a new stadium, and tell every sponsor to go have intercourse with themselves, its gonna be named Redskins Field, and build it to the likings of the older stadiums, complete with bouncing bleachers, doors which can be opened to let the wind blow in when opponents try to kick FGs, and make it Redskin-friendly opponent hell.

Of course WINNING sure would help alleviate any visitors wearing opponent colors, and maybe that'll be taken care of this  offseason

There are a few teams that have a nationwide fan base. Those are the Steelers, Packers, and Cowboys. A second tier national fan base would be teams like Denver, Miami and the Raiders.  These are fan bases that developed from past success and still have stragglers nationwide hanging on to history. We would be in that third tier of a national following which have the Skins, Niners, Bears, and maybe the Vikings. This group also falls in that "fan base built from past success." You guys may have some Pats fans on the East coast, but strangely I have never met a Patriots fan, Seahawks fan, Ravens fan, or a Panthers fan. Despite some success, these teams never resonated nationwide.  As far as nearly non-existent fan bases, I believe the Rams, Jags, and Texans have no fans outside of their little region.

gigantic stadiums offer no advantage in the NFL. Even the cowboys have this problem in their own place.

I would guess it might be different if we were a perennial playoff team, but we're not, so even if we pack 70,000 in the place, there's nearly 30,000 other seats that other fans fill.

This isn't college. You can't just decide how many tickets you will sell to the opponent and pack them all in one corner of the end zone.

Smaller stadium, 60,000. That makes it home.

~Bang

gigantic stadiums offer no advantage in the NFL. Even the cowboys have this problem in their own place.I would guess it might be different if we were a perennial playoff team, but we're not, so even if we pack 70,000 in the place, there's nearly 30,000 other seats that other fans fill.This isn't college. You can't just decide how many tickets you will sell to the opponent and pack them all in one corner of the end zone.Smaller stadium, 60,000. That makes it home.~Bang

I'll still sell my seats to the highest bidder. F Danny.

These fans havent been to Tampa Bay during one of their many down years. You might leave your car and come back to tickets on your windshield. Then most of the stadium is filled with fans of opposing teams. I've been to games in DC and love the atmosphere compared to what I get at all the pro stadiums down here in Florida. 

Enemy fans need to fear coming to Fed Ex more than they do.

This is what I mean...I don't care how good or bad the Raiders are playing, you simply will NEVER see or hear 10,000 opposing fans chanting DE-FENSE! Like they're at a home game. This part has got nothing to do with stadium size.

And for those who want to say "well I wouldn't want to be associated with that fan base anyways," then I can say the same for GB, Seattle, NE, Philly, KC, Denver, NO, SF, Pittsburgh...heck...I don't even think this happens at Browns games & they've been a joke for as long as I can remember.

I'm not saying we're pathetic. ..sort of...but sheesh man, when packs fans from an opposing team can walk around after a game on Monday Night screaming "WHO'S GOT IT BETTER THAN US?!?!?!" without one beat-down or viral embarrassment..you can begin to see why they think they can do so.

& I'm torn...I'm not one to condone violence. I think what Raiders fans or SF fans do on a regular basis is unconscionable, but you sure as heck won't see that in their house...under any circumstance.

Sure...a looooooong bout of this level of impotence would make the most ****-sure of men shrivel towards emasculinity. I get it. It still doesn't make the medicine any easier to swallow.

At the end of the day we look like what we are, a disjointed fan base that agrees on little, is united even less, doesn't help to provide any semblance of a tangible home field advantage, and whom not only do opposing fan bases not fear...but laugh heartily at our misfortunes as one does to a child slipping on a banana peel whilst trying to look tough in a tu-tu.

What... so they can get booed to death? Thats about the only thing they should fear, unless you're talking about insecure punk asses that come to the stadium in packs looking for a fight.

Players should fear the opposition, in between the lines, and the fans should provide the home field advantage, and disrupt the huddle. Thats what its all about. It's a game... Not The Last Of The Mohicans, Magua.

This notion that opposing fans should be afraid to cheer their team on, boo the home team, or even engage in a little friendly smack talk, comes from punks, with misplaced priorities.

Archived