Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

F the officials

RichmondRedskin88

As someone who has been a part of MANY football games, how often do you see defensive holding called on a DL?

I can't recall it on any DL,, but i do remember this year we got called for it on Fletcher(?) for grabbing the center and tackling him out of the way so the hole could be filled on a short play.

Just a few weeks ago.

In fact, on the demarco murray backwards 3rd and goal run, their center did exactly that to Baker,, just wrapped him up and took him down.

But, it's got to be conscious,, the NFL has given up on offensive holding. they simply don't call it.

~Bang

OK, so how does that in any way address the utter disaster that has become NFL officiating league wide?

Look around,, this thread is on practically every team message board, every week.

No one knows what the hell is going on, especially the officials.

Good teams don't always overcome the increasing incompetence of the refs.. The Patriots look like monsters, right? Even they get stunned by horrifying misrepresentations of the rules. Why do we see Tom Brady sprinting downfield after them to yell and scream time and again? Is it because he's REALLY a spoiled ninny who likes to cry til he gets his way, or is he out of his mind wondering how refs miss call after call after call?

Just as it is tiresome to hear fans BLAME refs for losses, it is equally tiresome to watch people wave off and ignore the absolute real problem that the officiating in the NFL has become.

It is a problem. A big one. Massive mistakes, game changers, .. they happen weekly. All over the league. The level of incompetence is unbelievable for the biggest sport in the country.

It's unacceptable, so stop accepting it under pretense that it's just us who can't get past it.

~Bang

Agree with you, Bang. This is what has become the NFL.

As I posted in the other "The refs ****ed us again" thread, the NFL refs have been swapped out for the NBA refs.

Funny you mention Brady sprinting downfield to scream at the refs over a bad call. I've never seen him flagged for doing that. Not that I watch every Patsies game. But he does it a lot and is never flagged. Santana Moss looks back over his shoulder and yells "Bull**** call" on a marginal holding call 10 yards away from the play and is flagged 15 yards. Double-standard much?

It is what it is. The Lebron James' of the NFL will continue to get the non-calls & the calls. Owners who kowtow to Commissioner Gordon will continue to have the upper hand in the league. The rest are destined to wallow in mediocrity.

The problem with offensive holding is that it happens every play. Seriously.

And to be honest, I really believe that the officials miss some things because of how many other things they now have to watch for. The rule book is getting lengthy.

I like the idea that Belichick (I think) came up with when he said that the NFL should allow any two plays to be challenged a game. That means calls as well. Obviously, certain circumstances would render somethings unchallengeable but I do like the premise...

The National Football League requires twenty commercial breaks per game, with ten in each half. (Exceptions to this are overtime periods, which have none). These breaks run either a minute, or two minutes in length. Of the ten commercial breaks per half, two are mandatory: at the end of each quarter, and at the two-minute warning for the end of the half. The remaining eight breaks are optional.[1] The timeouts can be applied after field goal tries, conversion attempts for both one and two points following touchdowns, changes in possession either by punts or turnovers, and kickoffs (except for the ones that start each half, or are within the last five minutes). The breaks are also called during stoppages due to injury, instant replay challenges, when either of the participating teams uses one of its set of timeouts, and if the network needs to catch up on its commercial advertisement schedule.

that means they can stop play whenever they want.  It doesn't have to be tied to a on field stoppage (as I believe we saw after a big morris run in the first half)

i have only a couple of calls that i felt really hurt us.  the first....the touchdown.  can someone explain why we were flagged for an illegal shift; and garcon's touchdown never counted?  i didn't see him move mu h.  also, on the 43 yard rush by murray, i thought the near horse/collar hold was pretty blatant and s hould've been called.  real momentum shifter.  also there was a block in the back on the big punt return that could've made a difference if called.

but back to the illegal shift.  can anyone explain that?

i have only a couple of calls that i felt really hurt us.  the first....the touchdown.  can someone explain why we were flagged for an illegal shift; and garcon's touchdown never counted?  i didn't see him move mu h.  also, on the 43 yard rush by murray, i thought the near horse/collar hold was pretty blatant and s hould've been called.  real momentum shifter.  also there was a block in the back on the big punt return that could've made a difference if called.

but back to the illegal shift.  can anyone explain that?

That one is easy... After Paulsen began moving in motion, Garcon moved up on to the line of scrimmage where he should have been before the movement by Paulsen... Two men in motion at the same time.  There was confusion by all three receivers on that side of the ball... watching the game, I remember thinking we needed a timeout there as the play clock was down to 1 or 2.  

The thing that was most annoying about that was all the waving all three receivers were doing for each other to get up on the line.

The problem with offensive holding is that it happens every play. Seriously.

And to be honest, I really believe that the officials miss some things because of how many other things they now have to watch for. The rule book is getting lengthy.

I like the idea that Belichick (I think) came up with when he said that the NFL should allow any two plays to be challenged a game. That means calls as well. Obviously, certain circumstances would render somethings unchallengeable but I do like the premise...

Well, yeah it does happen every play, BUT,, now I'm just going on observation here,, if anyone had the time to track it I would bet my bottom buck that holding c alls are significantly lower this year than practically any time i can recall.

used to be you NEVER got throuh a game without a few holds, or even more being called.

Now it's rare it is ever called. Once a game, MAYBE.

Hands to the Face, defnsive holding ... these are called more.

I know they want to protect QBs, and i bet that the refs have been told to chill on it.

THAT and they have so many other new personal fouls they have to be looking for.

~Bang

A Shanny quote, and don't throw tomatoes at me, but he is right.......“You don’t want to leave those plays in the official’s hand because you have to make enough plays to make sure that doesn’t happen and still find a way to win.”

http://www.csnwashington.com/football-washington-redskins/talk/shanahan-push-back-long-punt-return

And this is exactly right, I've always said refs don't cost you games, one play with a bad call means you haven't done enough on the other 65 or so plays you had.

My gripe is mostly with inconsistency and new rules of minutia turning the game into a sissy fit.

~Bang

Well, yeah it does happen every play, BUT,, now I'm just going on observation here,, if anyone had the time to track it I would bet my bottom buck that holding c alls are significantly lower this year than practically any time i can recall.

used to be you NEVER got throuh a game without a few holds, or even more being called.

Now it's rare it is ever called. Once a game, MAYBE.

Hands to the Face, defnsive holding ... these are called more.

I know they want to protect QBs, and i bet that the refs have been told to chill on it.

THAT and they have so many other new personal fouls they have to be looking for.

~Bang

The officiating is awful for everyone, though. I can see it being the difference between 6-10 and 9-7, perhaps... But we're 3-12. And I know you're not one of the people that blames officiating for our struggles, but our record suggests we should understand that griping about the refs is near the bottom of of "blame game" hierarchy. 

What does that got to do with anything?  If its a penalty its a penalty. There's no limit.  They held all game without a single holding call.  The WR's even held lol.  There were illegal contacts and PI un called which killed drives on us too.

Could you whine some more?  Fact is, both teams suck.  Two worst defenses in the league and neither team could score 30?  WTF?  NFCE is a disaster at the moment.

The refs had nothing to do with that game.  Poor play all around(on both sides of the ball and in every phase), poor coaching (skins side. [seriously...why call a timeout and help Dallas when they *obviously* couldn't get a snap off late in the 4th qtr???])...

In the end, the Skins won.  They'll now get a better draft pick while either the Eagles will put 60 on Dallas or their 1st round opponent will slaughter them.  All Dallas did was convince more fair weather fans that a Super Bowl is still a possibility.

**I wish I could punch Jerry in the face.

**I also wish I could do the same to Snyder.  

Those two A-holes have ruined the best two franchises in football.

The officiating is awful for everyone, though. I can see it being the difference between 6-10 and 9-7, perhaps... But we're 3-12. And I know you're not one of the people that blames officiating for our struggles, but our record suggests we should understand that griping about the refs is near the bottom of of "blame game" hierarchy.

yeah, that's pretty much my gripe.

the whole league is screwed by how bad it has gotten. It's terrible.

~bang

On the last 4th down play, the ball was snapped at the 10 yard line.  Murray was clearly tackled at the 12 with no forward progress deserved any closer than that.  I have not heard any mention of this - what did I miss?  Did they rule forward progress or was it something else?

yeah, that's pretty much my gripe.

the whole league is screwed by how bad it has gotten. It's terrible.

~bang

I forgot which Atlanta player it was that got hit by Donte Whitner last night, but that seemed to be clearly legal. I understand if the league messes up close calls, but they need to apply the whole "conclusive evidence" rule to penalties that tack on 15 yards for the opposing team and grant automatic first downs.

Easily among one of the worst calls this year.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm only posting this here because I couldn't find another thread to use:

Watching the Colts-Chiefs game today, I counted 2 times in the 4th quarter where the Colts offensive player ran out of bounds, the play clock stopped, and then it didn't restart until the ball was snapped. And it wasn't inside 5 minutes left in the game. 

I'm not trying to suggest any conspiracy, but how the **** does this happen during an NFL playoff game? More than 1 time? I wasn't watching the clock & game the entire second half, but caught it 2 times when I was paying attention.

Archived