Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Coaching Thread/Race to Black Monday: 1/6/25

88Comrade2000

So that's what three years at 8-8 and a wildcard win earns you.

well, to be fair, they did improve this season. and at least they've been 1 win from getting into the playoffs while hes been with Dallas. thats more than we can say as Skins fans, sadly. Garret was able to get the team to the playoffs finally, so i can see why he got the contract that he did. just my opinion though.

with that said, i sure hope dallas goes right back to sucking :D

they hired tomsula which is pretty strange when they could have promoted fangio

That the niners didn't hire Fangio is not so much the issue.  They probably didn't feel comfortable.

It just seems odd to promote the line coach to head coach, especially considering the more qualified candidates in the marketplace.  Kind of feels like a power move.  The GM didn't want a coach coming in that would challenge for power like the previous one.

Not sure what to think about the Raiders. Their D is on the verge of being monster, you could see them coming on late in the season. DelRio should add even more fire to that unit - and he will look good in silver and black - but I would think they might have been better served by picking a HC who has experience developing a young QB like Carr.

Edited by Stadium-Armory

Only 2 openings left, Falcons and Broncos.  I think the Bears hiring of John Fox will fail.  He was a mediocre coach in Carolina and the only reason he did okay in Denver the last 3 seasons was because of Manning.

Looks like the Falcons are waiting for the Seahawks Dan Quinn.

He's getting another shot because he's taken 2 separate teams to the Super Bowl.  One of them with Jake Delhomme as QB.

Only 2 openings left, Falcons and Broncos.  I think the Bears hiring of John Fox will fail.  He was a mediocre coach in Carolina and the only reason he did okay in Denver the last 3 seasons was because of Manning.

Looks like the Falcons are waiting for the Seahawks Dan Quinn.

Maybe Fox is Dan Reeves.  He's taken two different teams to the SB.  And he won a playoff game with Tebow at QB.  But to call him mediocre isn't fair.  Dude's accomplished more in this league then majority of the other HCs.  

Well, the coaching carousel is just about over.

Broncos hire Kubiak as expected.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/19/broncos-announce-hiring-of-gary-kubiak/

The Falcons are interviewing Dan Quinn a second time today but everyone expects them to hire him after the Superbowl.

I think the Packers should have an opening because their coach lost them that game with his play calling.

Edited by Rdskns2000

The whole Doug Marrone situation confuses me. Rather than be a head coach with the bills you go to being an assistant with a non description Jaguars franchise! At least the weathers great in Florida and a nice $4m cheque burning an hole in your back pocket. I'd guess he'd be back running a college team soon

• 2 weeks later...

With the 2014 Hiring,Firing cycle over; here's my early look at the 2015 cycle and the coaches who are on the hot seat.

On the HOT SEAT in 2015

1.  Jay Gruden - This guy just isn't ready to be a head coach.  Our new DC doesn't impress me. Despite the changes to the coaching staff this offseason; you still have a major weakness at head coach that just can't be over come.  I still think he will be the first coach fired.

2.  Tom Coughlin - The Giants play down the stretch earned him a reprieve.  He better have the Giants in the playoffs in 2015, or else 2015 will be his swan song.

3.  Joe Philbin - Stephen Ross gave him another year. No playoffs in 2015 and no Philbin in 2016.

4.  Lovie Smith - Year one was a complete disaster. Tampa will be drafting Jameis Winston or Marcus Mariota with that first pick. While noone expects winning right away; Lovie has to show the team is heading in the right direction with the new QB at the helm.  If not, the owners will bring in someelse to develop their young QB.

5.  Ken Whisenhunt - His first year was disaster.  He better show some improvement in 2015 or there will be no 2016.

6.  Jeff Fisher - Jeff probably needs to make the playoffs to still be the coach of the future Los Angeles Rams in 2016.

Washington, New York Giants, Miami, Tampa Bay, Tennessee and St. Louis/LA are the teams most likely to have openings in 2016.

Edited by Rdskns2000

• 7 months later...

The first post of 2015.  Yes, the hot seat for 2015 is already warming up; after 3 weeks.

The Hot Seat 2015- Week 3

1.  Jay Gruden, at 1-2.  Skins face a must win game or else season could slip away fast. Kirk is Kirk and he could cost Gruden his job.

2.  Joe Philbin, at 1-2.  The Dolphins looked bad.  The other AFC East teams are better & the fish could finish 4th. That will be it for Joe.

3.  Chuck Pagano, at 1-2. His contract is up. Only a Superbowl win, probably sees him getting a new contract.

4.  Gus Bradley, at 1-2.  Third season, doesn't really look much better.  Mr. Khan will probably be making a change after this year.

5.  Jim Caldwell, 0-3.  Could he fired after only 2 seasons.  Yes, he can.

6.  Mike Pettine, 1-2. He could be done after 2 seasons also, never know with their owner.

7.  Jeff Fisher, 1-2.  Maybve, the Rams aren't that much better.  He probably is done if they don't make the playoffs.

8.  Tom Coughlin, 1-2.  Giants beating us, maybe provides the spark that saves their season. A non-playoff season seals Tom fate.

9.  Sean Payton, 0-3.  It really hasn't been the same since bountygate.  I don't know if he's really on the hot seat but it could be time for Sean to move on from New Orleans.

So, those are the coaches who are on the hot seat. The more they lose, the hotter that seat gets.

Edited by Rdskns2000