Current Hirings/Openings

1. Giants - Expected to hire Vikings OC Pat Shurmur

2. Colts - Expected to hire Patriots OC Josh McDaniels

3. Raiders - Hired Jon Gruden.

4. Bears - Hired Chiefs OC Matt Nagy

5. Lions - Expected to hire Patriots DC Matt Patricia

6. Cards -

7. Titans - 

7 coaching changes this postseason unless we get a surprise change in New England after the Superbowl.   

Coaches in Washington, Dallas, Denver, New York Jets and Tampa Bay are on the hot seat for 2018.

Edited by Rdskns2000

1 hour ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Titans fire Mularkey.  Well, the report says mutual parting of the way but in reality it was a firing.

Not a firing if he agrees to part ways before his contract is up.  His contract was through 2018 and they were working on an extension, but evidently wanted to change up his coaching staff which he did not agree with.  Instead of choosing to sit out a year and get paid by the Titans, he chose to just leave without pay where he could pursue another job.  

That's my understanding of it.  Granted if he had said no to the extension and no to parting ways, they would have fired him anyhow.  

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro
  • Like 1

I wonder what McDaniels does.  Indy wants him but do you really want to work for Irsay?  Also, who knows if Luck will ever be the same again.   The Giants would be an interesting place. You can draft your QB to groom and you can keep Eli, while the young guy learns.  Titans. You got Mariota. The GM is someone you know. Thing is, long term ownership of the team is in question. The NFL says the Titans don't meet the ownership requirements, they say they do. So, there's some uncertainty there.   Maybe you just stay in New England, how long is Bill going to coach?  Also, what if Bill parts ways with the Pats after the Superbowl; maybe you become the Pats new coach.  Will be interesting to see what he does.

45 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Wow. Wasn’t expecting that from the titans! Thought i saw a report yesterday that they had agreed on an extension. 

Yeah, quite unexpected. I never have understood, quite honestly, how he ever got a HC gig in the first place. He'll coach the living hell outta your TEs, but beyond that he's always seemed rather pedestrian. Wonder if he's set to join someone's coaching staff as a TE coach.

All of this talk about Belickick leaving NE is crazy.  Even if there is some merit to the BSPN article, he's not going anywhere.  Hell, he and Brady and Kraft are the type of guys that will agree to continue to work together to spite the haters.  McDaniels knows he's not getting the Pats job because it won't be available.  He's probably eyeing the Tennessee job and will be named their HC within a day or two of NE's season ending, assuming that they get in their token minority interview to satisfy that joke of a Rooney Rule before NE's season ends.

He'd be a fool to consider Indy.  That team is a joke, and Luck was overrated before the injuries.  

Edited by Taylor 36
  • Like 1

Giants expected to hire pat shurmur. I don't know much about him, but since he'll be coaching for the giants, I wish him the worst :)

also, @Taylor 36, Titans won't be getting josh mcdaniels. nfl.com is reporting that the colts are expected to hire him as their next head coach. so I guess he's a fool ;) 

If all these are true, that puts us at:

Giants: Pat Shurmur

Colts: Josh McDaniels (expected to hire him when the patriots season ends)

Raiders: Jon Gruden

Bears: Matt Nagy

Lions: Matt Patricia (expected to hire him when the patriots season ends)

leaving us with only two head coach openings, the cardinals and the titans. 

Edited by Cooleyfan1993

49 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Giants expected to hire pat shurmur. I don't know much about him, but since he'll be coaching for the giants, I wish him the worst :)

also, @Taylor 36, Titans won't be getting josh mcdaniels. nfl.com is reporting that the colts are expected to hire him as their next head coach. so I guess he's a fool ;) 

If all these are true, that puts us at:

Giants: Pat Shurmur

Colts: Josh McDaniels (expected to hire him when the patriots season ends)

Raiders: Jon Gruden

Bears: Matt Nagy

Lions: Matt Patricia (expected to hire him when the patriots season ends)

leaving us with only two head coach openings, the cardinals and the titans. 

If he goes there, he truly is a fool.  This will be his second go around, and after his failure in Denver, a second failure will all but guarantee he won't be sniffed as a HC again.  The Colts have failure written all over them.

41 minutes ago, Taylor 36 said:

If he goes there, he truly is a fool.  This will be his second go around, and after his failure in Denver, a second failure will all but guarantee he won't be sniffed as a HC again.  The Colts have failure written all over them.

I wouldn't necessarily say that ... Pete Carroll didn't start sustaining success in the NFL until his third try

7 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

I wouldn't necessarily say that ... Pete Carroll didn't start sustaining success in the NFL until his third try

Pete Carroll had some success, especially with the Pats, and then had a lot of success at USC, showing some growth.  Even at the Jets, he didn't create a dumpster fire like McDaniel did in Denver.  Tebow will be a huge stain on his resume unless he can achieve a lot of success at his next stop.

21 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Shurmur's a good teacher, but I don't see him as the type of coach who can handle strong/outspoken personalities like the Giants have in OBJ, JPP and others.  The Vikings don't have guys like that.  Plus he has to handle the NY media and he's pretty laid back like McAdoo was.  I could see Shurmur run out of there quickly.  

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/20/titans-hire-mike-vrabel-as-head-coach/

Current Hirings/Openings

1. Giants - Expected to hire Vikings OC Pat Shurmur

6. Cards -

7. Titans - Hired Texans DC Mike Vrabel

So, really only the Cards are left looking for a coach. 

Cardinals expected to hire Steve Wilks as head coach

So, the last coach has been picked.  True, 2 of the coaches won't be hired until after the Superbowl. There are no more openings unless Bellichick retires after the Superbowl.

Giants officially hire Pat Shurmur as head coach

Current Hirings/Openings

1. Giants - Hired Vikings OC Pat Shurmur

6. Cards - Hired Panthers DC Steve Wilks.

7. Titans - Hired Texans DC Mike Vrabel

Edited by Rdskns2000

Early Thoughts on the Hirings

Next Monday should see the official hiring of McDaniels to the Colts and Patricia to the Lions.  Some early thoughts.

1. Giants - Pat Shurmur -  I think he can have successful run. Squeeze out what's left in Manning; while grooming a replacement. 

2. Colts - Josh McDaniels - His success depends solely on Luck. So goes Luck, so goes McDaniels.

3. Raiders - Jon Gruden - I think he could eventually give the Raiders a Superbowl title.

4. Bears - Matt Nagy - I think he will be mediocre at best.  The Vikings Defense and Aaron Rodgers are tough obstacles.

5. Lions - Matt Patricia - Might do a little better than Caldwell but will not duplicate the Pats success here.

6. Cards - Steve Wilks - Will ultimately fail I think.

7. Titans - Mike Vrabel - If his OC can't reverse Mariota's slow decline; he will not succeed. 

A little more details thoughts next week and my final preview for firing line 2018.