Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Coaching Thread/Race to Black Monday: 1/6/25

88Comrade2000

I like Arians. He'll be leaving on his own terms. It'll be interesting to keep an eye on Arizona. My gut tells me that's where Cousins will end up. If so, will Mike Shula end up being his coach?

When the 'Black Monday' carousel stops spinning, I'd love to see Jerry Gray and Jim Schwartz get HC opportunities, but most of all - if he wants - I would LOVE for Russ Grimm to finally get a shot to be a head coach. I think he'd be a great coach.

47 minutes ago, skinzplay said:

When the 'Black Monday' carousel stops spinning, I'd love to see Jerry Gray and Jim Schwartz get HC opportunities, but most of all - if he wants - I would LOVE for Russ Grimm to finally get a shot to be a head coach. I think he'd be a great coach.

Hasn't Russ been out of coaching for a while?

The urban legend is that he had the Steelers job until the commissioner reminded the Rooneys of their own rule. 

The vote of confidence for Koetter is so hypocritical of the Glazers. Lovie inherited a team that stunk, and got no such show of patience from the owners. And if anybody's situation were adversely affected by unexpected circumstances, it was Lovie's. Dude's OC had a heart condition and had to leave before the season started. That was a major blow. I still don't like how that whole deal went down, especially with Koetter and his agent basically shoving Lovie out the door. 

• Like 1

Looks like Del Rio may be in trouble!

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21921030/oakland-raiders-preparing-pursue-jon-gruden-possibly-offer-ownership-stake

The Oakland Raiders are preparing to pursue ESPN analyst Jon Gruden with an offer so strong it could even include an ownership stake in the teams, according to league sources.

Gruden will be tempted to accept it, according to sources, but would prefer not to make any decisions until the regular season finishes Sunday and the Raiders make a final determination on their current head coach, Jack Del Rio, who signed a contract extension last summer.

Friday’s coaching news brings hot seats into better focus

Today is the final day for several coaches. I have a feeling it will be around 4 to 8 more teams, having coaching changes.

Someone will be fired tonight. Many tomorrow and the rest on Tuesday.  

My final prediction on teams making changes & joining the Giants with openings:

99 % chance these changes will happen:

Cincinnati will not renew Lewis's contract & let it expire. He could move into the front office though.

Detroit will fire Jim Caldwell.

Chicago will fire John Fox.

Indianapolis will fire Chuck Pagano

90% chance these changes happen

Oakland will fire Jack Del Rio.

Denver will fire Vance Joseph.

Arizona will reach a mutual parting of the ways with Bruce Arians. 

Cleveland's GM will convince the owner to change his mind and fire Hue Jackson, after going 0-16.

These changes are conditional:

Houston may make a change if the tensions between the coach & GM, makes things unworkable.

Tennessee will fire Mike Mularkey if the Titans somehow miss the playoffs. They are in 6th place right now. 

I don't see any surprise firings/retirements.

6 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Wow. Raiders must have a strong offer in place for Jon Gruden....

Yep. Also, why Buccaneers kept their coach. Gruden had a better offer.  Maybe Bruce can be sent to the Raiders. He worked for them before.

Edited by Rdskns2000

13 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Do You think they’ll approve it? I don’t see why they wouldn’t, he seems very knowledgeable about football. 

I don’t think football knowledge would have anything to do with it.  From what I read it’s doubtful NFL owners want to set the precedent of ownership stakes being given up to coaches.  Just think what Belichick could demand.  

It would be months before the owners would vote on it though so it doesn’t sound like a deal breaker if they voted no.  He’d already be on the job.  And with the Raiders moving to Vegas he’d save a lot on the state income tax going from CA to NV.  

Edited by drowland

Latest on coaching changes:

Bears fire coach John Fox after third straight last-place finish

Lions fire head coach Jim Caldwell after 4 seasons

Expected Coaching Change:

Cardinals' Bruce Arians expected to retire from coaching

Report: Could be tomorrow before Marvin Lewis decision

A 4th coach got a reprive.

Vance Joseph to return as Broncos coach after going 5-11 in first year

The Browns will be stupid if they keep Hue Jackson. The Browns may not have had talent but no coach should survive going 0-16 and 1-31 in 2 years.

Edited by Rdskns2000