Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Coaching Thread/Race to Black Monday: 1/6/25

88Comrade2000

Just now, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Sorry. Thought that's what he MEANT to type. No idea what a podophile is. Care to explain? 

Its someone with a foot fetish. You never saw any of the stuff in the media about Rex's foot fetish? Then before a rivalry game Wes Welker (as a Patriot) managed to work like 13 foot-related words into his pre-game press conference lol. It was epic

• Like 1

Just now, ConnSKINS26 said:

Its someone with a foot fetish. You never saw any of the stuff in the media about Rex's foot fetish? Then before a rivalry game Wes Welker (as a Patriot) managed to work like 13 foot-related words into his pre-game press conference lol. It was epic

I heard about it, just wasn't aware that was another word for it ?? that's definitely a new one 

5 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

You never know around here.  This place makes people crazy.

Yes, but how can the Voice Of Reason be crazy?  Seriously? :P

if Bowles is fired, he'd be my first DC option.  Rex would be #2.  

I dont know much much about Bradley.

Village Idiot has to go no matter what the results over the next 3 weeks.  

15 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Yes, but how can the Voice Of Reason be crazy?  Seriously? :P

if Bowles is fired, he'd be my first DC option.  Rex would be #2.  

I dont know much much about Bradley.

Village Idiot has to go no matter what the results over the next 3 weeks.  

You just can't fire the Village Idiot... Those guys never go far because well.... They're Idiots lol

You know, find it funny that retread Tom Coughlin is being considered for not only returning to the Jaguars and but as the Bills next head coach; when they fire Rex.   Tom's record; other then those 2 superbowl wins isn't that great.  Those 2 Superbowl teams were more flukes than anything else; teams just getting hot at the right time and matching up well against the Pats.

On December 21, 2016 at 10:22 PM, Rdskns2000 said:

You know, find it funny that retread Tom Coughlin is being considered for not only returning to the Jaguars and but as the Bills next head coach; when they fire Rex.   Tom's record; other then those 2 superbowl wins isn't that great.  Those 2 Superbowl teams were more flukes than anything else; teams just getting hot at the right time and matching up well against the Pats.

Yeah, Coughlin would be a terrible hire for any club.

Zimmer should be out the door as well now...

Minnesota Vikings DBs ditch Mike Zimmer's game plan

Minnesota Vikings defensive backs went rogue in Saturday's loss to the Green Bay Packers.

Coach Mike Zimmer planned for corner Xavier Rhodes to shadow Jordy Nelson the entire game. Instead, Vikings corners decided to each play their side of the field.

"To be honest, I really don't want to answer that," Rhodes said, via The Star Tribune, then explained what happened.

"A matter of fact, forget it. We felt as a team, as players, we came together and we felt like we'd never done that when we played against the Packers," Rhodes said. "Us as DBs felt like we could handle him. That's how we felt as DBs that we could stay on our side and cover him. In the beginning, we'd always played against them and played our sides, so that's what we as DBs went with."

Ditching the game plan helped Nelson go off in the first half. Aaron Rodgers' favorite target complied 145 yards and two TDs on seven first-half receptions -- some of that yardage came against Rhodes. The Packers led 28-13 before the Vikings got to the locker room and Zimmer took control

With Rhodes shadowing Nelson in the second half, the Packers' receiver caught two passes for nine yards.

"That's what he was supposed to do the whole game," Zimmer said. "Someone decided they wouldn't do that."

Zimmer said corner Terence Newman mentioned something to him on the sideline about the change in plans.

"In the first half when Terence Newman came over and said something to me like 'I can cover this guy, let me have him,'" Zimmer said. "I said, 'do what you're supposed to do.'"

Newman declined to comment on the issue saying simply, "nothing. I have no idea."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000762964/article/minnesota-vikings-dbs-ditch-mike-zimmers-game-plan

Edited by Califan007

Just now, Warhead36 said:

Zimmer is a good coach. He shouldn't get fired. I would bench/cut guys that were flat out insubordinate though.

His OC quits mid-season based on philosophical differences, his new OC has some of the strangest playcalls this side of "Three Skins red zone fades to a rookie WR who has been injured all offseason", his team is 2-8 over the last 10 games...and now his entire secondary just said "**** you" to his game plan and decided not to listen to their head coach.

Edited by Califan007

5 hours ago, Califan007 said:

Not at all lol...but it shows just how much (or how little) respect they have for their head coach.

How do you lose control of your team like that?  That really speaks volumes.  

But why did it take a half to figure out what they were doing?  Perhaps Zimmer and the DC had too much going on, but was nobody on the defensive staff paying attention?

• Like 1

I think this is the perception of him coming to fruition. He interviewed many times before the Vikings gig and never got the jobs. There were rumors of him being "strong". Strong works for a small period of time and eventually wears on an organization. This would be it.

9 hours ago, justice98 said:

How do you lose control of your team like that?  That really speaks volumes.  

But why did it take a half to figure out what they were doing?  Perhaps Zimmer and the DC had too much going on, but was nobody on the defensive staff paying attention?

Never heard of a full on mutiny like that, in the middle of a game, by several players. Someone has to answer for that one

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Califan007 said:

Not at all lol...but it shows just how much (or how little) respect they have for their head coach.

A story I just read says that the DBs only ignored the game plan on the first series.

It also went on to say that the players that did it all have strong affection for Zimmer.

Zimmer shouldn't be canned. He's not a bad coach. Sometimes players are just idiots. If it were me, I'd suspend those guys for Week 17. Problem solved.

Edited by Ray-Ban Dan

3 hours ago, Ray-Ban Dan said:

A story I just read says that the DBs only ignored the game plan on the first series.

It also went on to say that the players that did it all have strong affection for Zimmer.

Zimmer shouldn't be canned. He's not a bad coach. Sometimes players are just idiots. If it were me, I'd suspend those guys for Week 17. Problem solved.

1) I don't know, those direct quotes from the players and coaches made it sound like it was far more than one series. But even one series is way too much and shows a definite level of disrespect to just blow off the head coach's game plan because "they knew as a team, as players" that ignoring the head coach was the best way to go.

2) Suspending guys for a meaningless game doesn't solve the underlying problem, it just punishes 2-3 players out of a game check and let's them start their offseason a week early. 

3) Those players may have a "strong affection" for Zimmer but if they don't respect him, his position and his authority then that affection is irrelevant. I have no clue if players have a "strong affection" for Belichick but I know they hold a strong respect for him and his authority.

35 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

1) I don't know, those direct quotes from the players and coaches made it sound like it was far more than one series. But even one series is way too much and shows a definite level of disrespect to just blow off the head coach's game plan because "they knew as a team, as players" that ignoring the head coach was the best way to go.

2) Suspending guys for a meaningless game doesn't solve the underlying problem, it just punishes 2-3 players out of a game check and let's them start their offseason a week early. 

3) Those players may have a "strong affection" for Zimmer but if they don't respect him, his position and his authority then that affection is irrelevant. I have no clue if players have a "strong affection" for Belichick but I know they hold a strong respect for him and his authority.

Good points. 

Thing is, you can't cut Rhodes. He's one of the top corners around. Newman is a dinosaur. But didn't he have a good year? If not, he's the one I would make an example of. Since you, or someone, pointed out earlier that he has played under Zimmer for several teams. He of all people should know better. And should also know that Zimmer knows defense.

I just don't like this notion that it's Zimmer's fault, that a few of his players are dumbasses. To me, this doesn't reflect poorly on Zimmer. It's a cop out to put this on him. The way to correct this is to suspend or cut a player(s). You run what the coaches tell you to run. I'm glad Nelson torched those fools.

13 hours ago, Ray-Ban Dan said:

Good points. 

Thing is, you can't cut Rhodes. He's one of the top corners around. Newman is a dinosaur. But didn't he have a good year? If not, he's the one I would make an example of. Since you, or someone, pointed out earlier that he has played under Zimmer for several teams. He of all people should know better. And should also know that Zimmer knows defense.

I just don't like this notion that it's Zimmer's fault, that a few of his players are dumbasses. To me, this doesn't reflect poorly on Zimmer. It's a cop out to put this on him. The way to correct this is to suspend or cut a player(s). You run what the coaches tell you to run. I'm glad Nelson torched those fools.

I think, for me, with the other issues that came to the team this season, this was more like the cherry on top than a singular issue worth firing him over. But like someone said above, someone HAS to answer for this, in some way.