Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Coaching Thread/Race to Black Monday: 1/6/25

88Comrade2000

17 minutes ago, Diehard Otis said:

This guy & his team are so overrated it makes me sick!

I mean, I agree, except that the 'Skins had the opportunity to beat them in the final week and failed misserably.  He got them to play hard in a meaningless game. 

I find it somewhat sour grapes to call them entirely overrated.  Given they won 10 games last year, made the playoffs and ended the 'Skins season.

I'd love for them to go 6-10 this year.  And they might.  And I agree, McCadoo doesn't strike me as a great coach.  But he's not the GM, and he's stuck with a mediocre franchise QB.  

I like him where he is, but I also don't really want to pile on.  Yet.  Now, if they go 6-10, I'll pile on.  But the way they ended the 'Skins season last year, it just doesn't feel right to be heaping on too much criticism.  

3 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I mean, I agree, except that the 'Skins had the opportunity to beat them in the final week and failed misserably.  He got them to play hard in a meaningless game. 

I find it somewhat sour grapes to call them entirely overrated.  Given they won 10 games last year, made the playoffs and ended the 'Skins season.

I'd love for them to go 6-10 this year.  And they might.  And I agree, McCadoo doesn't strike me as a great coach.  But he's not the GM, and he's stuck with a mediocre franchise QB.  

I like him where he is, but I also don't really want to pile on.  Yet.  Now, if they go 6-10, I'll pile on.  But the way they ended the 'Skins season last year, it just doesn't feel right to be heaping on too much criticism.  

They got us last year.  They did, & I can't deny it (if Kirk hadn't thrown that pick...).

But tell me you saw a Playoff Team Monday Night.  I did, but it was the Visitors.

I got New York securely in the cellar.

Just now, Diehard Otis said:

They got us last year.  They did, & I can't deny it (if Kirk hadn't thrown that pick...).

But tell me you saw a Playoff Team Monday Night.  I did, but it was the Visitors.

I got New York securely in the cellar.

Most likely true.  I guess my point is that McAdoo is 10-8 in regular season games since he took over last year. That's over .500.  Jay is 22-27-1.  That's under .500.

Am I saying that McAdoo is a better HC than Jay? No.  But I'm also hesitant to say that he's awful with the hand he's been dealt.  

Just now, Voice_of_Reason said:

Most likely true.  I guess my point is that McAdoo is 10-8 in regular season games since he took over last year. That's over .500.  Jay is 22-27-1.  That's under .500.

Am I saying that McAdoo is a better HC than Jay? No.  But I'm also hesitant to say that he's awful with the hand he's been dealt.  

And Jay had to straighten out the QB situation here, while McAdoo took his job cause Eli was in place.

They both made their bones as Offensive Coaches, while one team clearly has a legitimate Offense.  

Yes, I am a homer.  But Jay Gruden>Bob McAdoo.

• 2 weeks later...

Hugh Jackson is so cooked. Pity.  Good coach.  Bad situation.  He made a BAD decision last year thinking Griffin could play. But apart from that, I like him.  

I'm pretty sure that the Giants are regretting forcing Coughlin out.  They're done.  And Jax is looking improved.  Imagine that.  I'm not sure if they fire McAdoo after 2 years, but it's looking like his playoff season last year was a Coughlin hangover, and this is the real Giants.  

Lewis is going to retire or be fired after this season.  

John Fox is a good coach.  But he's done very badly with the Bears.  

Here's USA Today's Week 5 Hot Seat Rankings

NFL hot seat rankings: Matters get bleaker for Browns' Hue Jackson, Giants' Ben McAdoo

Well, every team has played at least 4 games now. Time for my look at the Race to Black Monday. Definitely, a lot of changes since my last look a month ago.

Hot Seat  

1. Browns: Hue Jackson - The guy is dead man walking. Browns need to get a coach on the same page with whatever the **** they are trying to do. Keep an eye in Cincinnati. I can see Hue go there either as an assistant; should Marvin Lewis return or being hired as head coach; should Marvin Lewis not get a new contract.

2. Giants: Ben Macadoo - This season is a nightmare.  I think his tenure ends after the season. There could be a lot of changes in 2018 in the Meadowlands.

3. Bears: John Fox - Finally started the rookie QB. He won't be the one to develop Trubisky. 

4. Colts: Chuck Pagano - My guess, even if Luck comes back soon; he won't be seeing another season.

5. Cards: Bruce Arians - I don't think he gets fired but this season will not go the way he hopes. He will probably retire.

6. Bengals: Marvin Lewis - His contract is up. Even if the Bengals make the playoffs, my guess Mike Brown moves on.

Depends on how the season plays out 

1. Jets: Todd Bowles - He has the Jets at 3-2. A collapse probably dooms him. 8-8 or better and he returns.

2. Saints: Sean Peyton - They are at .500. In the wild card race. If they have another losing season, probably that is it for Sean in New Orleans.

3. Dolphins: Adam Gase - They are 2-2.  Cutler experiment not working. You have one of your assistants doing crack in the office. If they finish below .500; he could be gone.

4. Cowboys: Jason Garrett - If they miss the playoffs, Jerry may decide to go after a new puppet.

5. Redskins: Gruden - Seems safe, as the team appears to be better. A collapse to 6-10 or worse and he will not survive.

6. Texans: Bill Obrien - They have their QB finally but a losing season, tensions with front office and there might be a change.

Edited by Rdskns2000

Here's who should be fired:

Ben McAdoo - New York Giants (if they face facts & proceed with the total rebuild, why keep him?)

Adam Gase - Miami Dolphins (not only should he be gone for that fiasco, but the team struggled through some confounding losses. Shut out by New Orleans?  Beaten by two Touchdowns to the Jets? ( A sub-.500 record cooks his goose)

Marvin Lewis - Cincinnati Bengals (without a huge turnaround & a trip to The Playoffs, the Grim Reaper comes calling for Coach)

Chuck Pagano - Indianapolis Colts (this guy's the 1st to go.  I personally see no way this doesn't come to pass)

Jack Del Rio - Oakland Raiders (his team is WAY too good to struggle this year.  Missing The Playoffs dooms him)

Sean Payton - New Orleans Saints (it was time to go two years ago.  Winning his Division would save him, but realistically....)

Here's who shouldn't get fired:

Hugh Jackson - Cleveland Browns (the man is a damn good Coach.  his organization needs to accept that they are in total rebuilding mode.  give the man two more years, then see where you're at)

John Fox - Chicago Bears (it is a sign of gross incompetence to fire a Coach after starting a Rookie Quarterback.  of course the team won't be competitive in the same year)

Bruce Arians - Arizona Cardinals (his best player got hurt & his team is old.  if the Cards fall flat, that could leave him exposed)

John Harbaugh - Baltimore Ravens (if the Ravens miss The Playoffs again this year, things could get interesting in Baltimore)

Here's who probably does get fired (in my opinion):

Chuck Pagano

Sean Payton

Hugh Jackson

John Fox

Adam Gase

To me, their jobs are beyond saving.  But there's a lotta football left to play yet. 

13 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

^ I don’t think the dolphins would fire Adam gase after just 1 season though. Don’t most coaches get more than 1 season?

This is Adam's second season.

Most coaches do get more than one season but sometimes coaches have such a bad first year they are fired or sometimes the coach does okay but the owner wants to go in a different direction. See Dan Snyder and Marty's one year and I think Hue Jackson only got one year: 8-8 with the Raiders.

5 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

This is Adam's second season.

Most coaches do get more than one season but sometimes coaches have such a bad first year they are fired or sometimes the coach does okay but the owner wants to go in a different direction. See Dan Snyder and Marty's one year and I think Hue Jackson only got one year: 8-8 with the Raiders.

Or Richie Petibone with Jack Kent Cooke.

• 2 weeks later...

On average I think 5-6 coaches are fired each year.  Expect that tradition to continue.

My take at the 1/2 way point of the season, although significant trend record-wise in either direction could adjust the second and third categories below.  The first category would need a Kevin Spacey-esque news item to be bumped into one of the lower categories.

The Untouchables:  Tomlin, Shanahan (R), Belichick, Pederson, McVay, McDermott (R), Carroll, Lynn (R), McCarthy, Reid, Marrone, Joseph (R), Garrett, O'Brien

Probably safe:  Harbaugh, Rivera, Lewis (Ludicrous, I know), Payton, Bowles, Koetter, Quinn, Gase, Zimmer

Should be looking for 2018 coordinator positions just in case:  Fox, Pagano, Gruden, Mularkey,

Definitely gone IMO:  Arians, Jackson (Alamo Defender in Chief), Caldwell, McAdoo, del Rio

PF

What? Del Rio gone already? Not so sure about that but the Browns should just stick with Jackson for 5+ years until they figure out how to pull their heads out of their asses. There's no way you can blame that cluster**** on their 7th coach in like 10 years. 

The only way I'd say Jackson should definitely go if he's the one who talked them out of Wentz and Watson the past 2 years but their so called GM already said that he didn't grade Wentz as a franchise qb (but I guess he did consider RG3 and Kizer) and I doubt that those know-it-alls would listen to the Head coach.

McAdoo is definitely gone. I think Gruden will be safe because of the injuries, and a weak end of season schedule means we could backdoor 8-8. I could see Garrett being on the hot seat.

Bears should fire Fox and get an offensive coach to work with Trebisky but he'll be safe.

Arians is probably gonzo. Seems like they're tuning out his rah rah rah stuff.

Koetter should be gone. The Bucs stink and he has no leadership qualities.

Gase may be gone in Miami but with the QB injuries, he's probably safe. Bowles is overachieving with the Jets, he's safe.

Lewis should be gone but the guy seems to have a million lives. I could see the Ravens finally letting go of Harbs. Completely unsure about Jackson, the Browns are just a mess.

Don't see any coaching changes in the AFC West. Del Rio will be safe because of the Carr injury.

Pagano is definitely gone in Indy. Shocked he's lasted this long.

27 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

@Warhead36 why Garrett on the hot seat?

I like Fox.  They should hire Jay Gruden to work with Trebisky (I jest.  I jest.  Kind of....)

i think Baltimore sticks with Harbaugh. 

The rest I agree with..

Well if Dallas misses the playoffs after going 13-3 last year, I could potentially see him being on the hot seat for 2018. I don't think there is any chance he gets canned after this year though.

8 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Well if Dallas misses the playoffs after going 13-3 last year, I could potentially see him being on the hot seat for 2018. I don't think there is any chance he gets canned after this year though.

They’re probably not missing the playoffs this year.  Unless Elliott is out for their last 6 games, and even then, I think they can get in.  

After today, McAdoo is the drum major on this list.  Hell, at least Indy's been competitive (and I've considered Pagano a dead man walking all year).  Getting 51 Points hung around your neck at the crib is inexcusable!  If New York keeps him, that would be colossally incompetent.  But I hope they do.

Pagano should still go.  The Colts are going nowhere fast.

So should that nincompoop in Tampa.  Never heard of him, and now I know why - he couldn't beat a yellow light.

(Honorable Mention: Adam Gase.  I would've fired him for the cocaine Coach - that's the most egregious case of a "lack of institutional control" that I have ever seen in The League.  Plus, trading away one of your best players during the season is criminal negligence!  Sack him too.)

Those are the three names written in stone in the book of death thus far.  Seems like the season has to play out to get an idea of the full list.

Edited by Diehard Otis