Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Coaching Thread/Race to Black Monday: 1/6/25

88Comrade2000

I'll probably not post any rankings this week(Week 2) but say Rex Ryan and Gus Bradley shouldn't be sleeping well,. I can't see the Colts chucking Pagano after giving him a 4 year extension this year or can I?  Jay Gruden will definitely be on the list, next time I post it.  It wouldn't shock me to see Rex Ryan get fired in the next 2 weeks.

Edited by Rdskns2000

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 8:56 PM, SemperFi Skins said:

If Rex gets fired, you ask him if he wants to come here and be the DC immediately!

Why?
The Bills defense hasn't been all that great.

Not to mention he'll want to bring his brother, Rob along, and he sucks as a coach.

Edited by SkinsGuy

Just now, SkinsGuy said:

Why?
The Bills defense hasn't been all that great.

Not to mention he'll want to bring his brother, Rob along, and he sucks as a coach.

Rob is why the defense hasn't been that great... Rex is a fantastic DC, that's where he should have stayed.

He brought Rob in to give him another crack. He knows he's not going anywhere else with him.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, a quarter of the season is gone already. Everyone but the Packers & Eagles have played 4 games.  So, where does the hot seat stand; heading into Week 5's games.

1.  Chargers - Mike Mccoy -  They gotta give fans a reason to vote yes on a new stadium. I think he's gone soon. Before that Nov. 8 vote.

2   Lions- Jim Caldwell -  They suck again.  Caldwell won't be getting a reprive again this year.

3.  Jags- Gus Bradley - time is running out for old Gus.  

4.  Colts- Chuck Pagano - Despite that 4 year extension; Luck and Colts aren't that good.

5.  Titans- Mike Mularkey - despite being given the job full time; Mariotta is regressing.  He's in trouble.

6.  Bears- John Fox - Third time isn't the charm for John.

7.  Dolphins- Adam Gase -  He could be one and done. Dolphins are bad & their owner is impatient.

Would the Saints change their minds with Sean Payton; who is 1 -3?   Jay Gruden, Jeff Fisher & Rex Ryan are off the hot seat for now.

2 hours ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Think you may want to add Ron Rivera to this list...

Panthers are just terrible, even with Newton in the game (this year)

Bring him in for Defensive Coordinator!!!

Considering they were in the Superbowl last year; I doubt it.   The Panthers have another year like this year; then maybe.

• 1 month later...

11 weeks just about over.  Only 2 more teams have a bye still coming up; so we are entering that final stretch.  Teams making that final push for the playoffs. Of course, this thread is about the other direction. Teams making that push to a coaching change.

I haven't posted here since Oct. 6.

1.  Browns: Hue Jackson - Strong chance Browns become the second team to go 0-16.  I don't see how he comes back.

2.  Jaguars: Gus Bradley - No chances for Gus, Khan will be making a change.

3.  Bears: John Fox - Third time isn't the charm. He's done with his third team.

4.  Chargers: Mike Mccoy - With the team probably moving to L.A. next year; time for a new coach.

5.  Bengals: Marvin Lewis -  It could finally be it for him. Bengals need a new coach, to get over that hump.

6.  Jets: Todd Bowles -  The Jets are a mess.  It maybe it for him, after only 2 years.

7.  Packers: Mike Mccarthy - Tension behind the scenes???  If comes between the QB and coach, think QB wins. It maybe time for Mike to go elsewhere.

8.  Rams: Jeff Fisher - Some say he has already signed a new contract??   Has he really.  You got your move Kroenke; get you a winning coach.

I think at least the first 6 are locks for coaching changes.  Here's some more teams that could make changes:

9.  49ers: Chip Kelly - They really suck, Chip belongs in college; not the NFL.

10.  Bills: Rex Ryan - Probably a second straight playoff miss, but they may finish .500.  Do they give Rex one more chance?

11.  Saints: Sean Peyton -  It maybe time to move on, giving him the contract extension probably wasn't worth it.

12.  Steelers: Mike Tomlin -  Steelers have been under performing last couple of years; there might be that rare coaching change in Pittsburgh.

I think everyone else is safe.  If Jay gets us to the playoffs; I can see him getting an early extension.  Jay would have done something ; we haven't done post Gibbs I. Making the playoffs 2 years in a row.

Edited by Rdskns2000

14 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

11 weeks just about over.  Only 2 more teams have a bye still coming up; so we are entering that final stretch.  Teams making that final push for the playoffs. Of course, this thread is about the other direction. Teams making that push to a coaching change.

I haven't posted here since Oct. 6.

1.  Browns: Hue Jackson - Strong chance Browns become the second team to go 0-16.  I don't see how he comes back.

2.  Jaguars: Gus Bradley - No chances for Gus, Khan will be making a change.

3.  Bears: John Fox - Third time isn't the charm. He's done with his third team.

4.  Chargers: Mike Mccoy - With the team probably moving to L.A. next year; time for a new coach.

5.  Bengals: Marvin Lewis -  It could finally be it for him. Bengals need a new coach, to get over that hump.

6.  Jets: Todd Bowles -  The Jets are a mess.  It maybe it for him, after only 2 years.

7.  Packers: Mike Mccarthy - Tension behind the scenes???  If comes between the QB and coach, think QB wins. It maybe time for Mike to go elsewhere.

8.  Rams: Jeff Fisher - Some say he has already signed a new contract??   Has he really.  You got your move Kroenke; get you a winning coach.

I think at least the first 6 are locks for coaching changes.  Here's some more teams that could make changes:

10.  Bills: Rex Ryan - Probably a second straight playoff miss, but they may finish .500.  Do they give Rex one more chance?

11.  Saints: Sean Peyton -  It maybe time to move on, giving him the contract extension probably wasn't worth it.

12.  Steelers: Mike Tomlin -  Steelers have been under performing last couple of years; there might be that rare coaching change in Pittsburgh.

I think everyone else is safe.  If Jay gets us to the playoffs; I can see him getting an early extension.  Jay would have done something ; we haven't done post Gibbs I. Making the playoffs 2 years in a row.

Hue is safe. Yeah 0-16 would suck but that roster is atrocious. By all counts they like Hue and everyone says he's a good coach.

Agree with you on Fox, McCoy, and Lewis. Its tiem for those teams to move on.

Bowles should be safe. They won double digit games last year. They just need a QB. They won't change course after just two years. McCarthy should be safe, Packers have just been ravaged by injuries on D.

How Fisher still coaches in the NFL I don't know, but somehow you know he'll be back.

Kelly will stay. They won't get rid of him after one year. Their roster is almost Browns bad.

Ryan and Peyton I'm unsure. Neither franchise likes to change coaches much(aka cheapskate owners).

Tomlin is safe. Steelers will be fine once Big Ben is healthy and rolling again.

I thought Peyton just recently signed a 5-yr extension paying him around $9 million a year.  No way the Saints would fire him and buy that contract out with 4 years left on it.  However they could possibly trade him.  

Even if they finish 0-16 the Browns won't fire Hue.  They've already turned over HCs too many times in recent years.  That job is so toxic right now there is no one more qualified willing to take it.  Unless it was someone like Art Briles who I think wants to coach, but no college is going to touch him right now.  

Bowles, Kelly and Tomlin are safe.  Unless Texas calls Kelly.  

McCarthy I don't know what is going on with that.  They've dealt with injuries, but McCarthy won a SB the year the Packers lead the NFL with players on IR.  I think the Packers simply haven't been getting the same quality out of the draft that they once were.  That's more on the GM then McCarthy IMO.

Marvin Lewis, Mike Brown simply doesn't like to fire HCs.  Bruce Coslet had to help Mike out and quit on his own.  And Coslet was a pretty awful coach.

This was year 4 for Bradley and their GM with expectations being the Jags would take a big step forward.  Bortles has regressed.  Their FA signings haven't really amounted to much.  He's gone.

I think Fisher is selling to his owner how he was the HC of the Oilers when they transitioned from Houston to Nashville, and how he turned a bunch of 8-8 years into 13-3 and a SB appearance with a stingy defense, a stud running back and a rookie high draft pick QB he made sit on the bench for a couple years.  Seems it's working since reports are he's getting an extension.

I can see it going either way with Rex.  

The rest I think are gone.  

• 3 weeks later...

Tonight's Ravens-Patriots game has no bearing on this list.

Now wrapping up week 14. Could we have a firing this week?

1.  Jaguars: Gus Bradley - He could be fired as soon as today.

2.  Bills: Rex Ryan - Yeah, they are 6-7. Owners won't like it and could fire him, as soon as today.

3.  Rams: Jeff Fisher - Contract Extension won't matter. Kroenke has to sell tickets for his new stadium in 2019; time for a new coach.

4.  Bears: John Fox - Third time isn't the charm. Bears will clean house.

5.  Browns: Hue Jackson - Still say going 0-16 will hurt him. Owner is like Snyder of early 00's.

6.  Chargers: Mike Mccoy - With the team probably moving to L.A. next year; time for a new coach.

7.  Bengals: Marvin Lewis -  It could finally be it for him. Bengals need a new coach, to get over that hump.

8.  Jets: Todd Bowles -  The Jets are a mess.  It maybe it for him, after only 2 years.

I think those 9 are strong possibilities. There could be a couple as soon as today.

Potential surprise changes:

9.  Packers: Mike Mccarthy - If the Packers don't make the playoffs, maybe a change occurs here?

10.  Saints: Sean Peyton -  It maybe time to move on, giving him the contract extension probably wasn't worth it.

11.  Colts: Chuck Pagano - Despite his new contract; Colts have been underwhelming. Irsay may cut ties and move on.

Mike Tomlin now appears safe; especially since he might make the playoffs.

Edited by Rdskns2000

3 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I'd like to add our D coordinator to the list.  And when Sexy Rexy gets fired we sign him for that spot.

(Yes I know this is not a coordinator list but I tied it in with Rex)

Considering the number of times a Ryan has found themselves in the unemployment line after being beaten like a silver mullet'd step child by the Skins, I doubt he'd want to coordinate for them.

So many worthless head coaches in the NFL. Then again, sometimes I wonder how important a head coach is to winning football games.

Don't get me wrong, it's important, but a super talented team with a mediocre head coach still wins games. And in turn makes the coach look good.  Just talking out loud.

4 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

So many worthless head coaches in the NFL. Then again, sometimes I wonder how important a head coach is to winning football games.

Don't get me wrong, it's important, but a super talented team with a mediocre head coach still wins games. And in turn makes the coach look good.  Just talking out loud.

I've said in discussions at work for a long time that more needs to be on the GM.  the HC gets blamed far too often when he wasn't given the players to win.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Given that our team is on its way to back to back winning seasons for the first time in a LONG time, I don't think he would be. 

I was just kidding. lol. Doing a rub to the original poster who said this at beginning of the season thinking Gruden was only a 2 year wonder after taking the team to the post season. :)