Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Coaching Thread/Race to Black Monday: 1/6/25

88Comrade2000

Well, since we are probably a few more days before anyone gets hired; here's an early look at the hot seat for 2015.

It still wouldn't surprise me, if we get a surprise opening before the Superbowl.

On the HOT SEAT in 2015

1.  Jay Gruden - This guy just isn't ready to be a head coach.  Now, that we have a new GM; he immediately jumps to #1 on the hot seat. Frankly, I think he will be the first coach fired in 2015 and probably will not last beyond midseason.  That's why it's important our DC hire is someone who has had previous head coaching experience.  I am pretty sure our new DC will be finishing the season as interim head coach.

2.  Tom Coughlin - The Giants play down the stretch earned him a reprieve.  He better have the Giants in the playoffs in 2015, or else 2015 will be his swan song.

3.  Joe Philbin - Stephen Ross gave him another year. No playoffs in 2015 and no Philbin in 2016.

4.  Lovie Smith - Year one was a complete disaster. Odds are Tampa will be drafting a QB with that first pick. While noone expects winning right away; Lovie has to show the team is heading in the right direction with the new QB at the helm.  If not, the owners will bring in someelse to develop their young QB.

5.  Ken Whisenhunt - His first year was disaster.  He better show some improvement in 2015 or there will be no 2016.

6.  Jeff Fisher - Jeff probably needs to make the playoffs to still be the coach of the future Los Angeles Rams in 2016. .

Washington, New York Giants, Miami, Tampa Bay, Tennessee and St. Louis/LA are the teams most likely to have openings in 2016.

Edited by Rdskns2000

Rex Ryan should have learned that he needs a QB to succeed. I wanted to see him go to the Falcons just to see what he could do with a real offense to compliment his expertise on defense. Bills will be the Jets all over again.

Edited by Destino
  • Like 1

Rex Ryan should have learned that he needs a QB to succeed. I wanted to see him go to the Falcons just to see what he could do with a real offense to compliment his expertise on defense. Bills will be the Jets all over again.

Rex would rather be a head coach.  He didn't want to wait, he just wanted to be a head coach. So, he is taking the Bills job apparently.

Rex would rather be a head coach.  He didn't want to wait, he just wanted to be a head coach. So, he is taking the Bills job apparently.

I meant as a head coach in Atlanta.  He's right not to take a step back unless he has to. 

Edited by Destino

I meant as a head coach in Atlanta.  He's right not to take a step back unless he has to. 

Atlanta is dragging their feet.  Rex wanted to be head coach again so bad; he couldn't wait to see if Atlanta would hire him or go into TV and see what is available next year.  So, Rex knows what he is getting into.  Coaching again in 2015 is all that matters to Rex Ryan.  He jumped at the first team that really, really wanted him.

Atantla wasn't showing him the love and may have never shown him the love.

I honestly don't think that Sanchez and Geno Smith are that bad.  But I feel like the O for the JEts was held together with duct tape and tire sealant.

Sanchez has strenghts but he basically caps out as a game manager type.

Geno is awful. Like, really really awful. Nobody is winning with that guy.

Surprised Denver let go of Fox. He's an excellent coach. I guess Elway can smell the roses and knows the Broncos are going to be in need of a mass rebuild. The few young guys they have are set to be FAs and the rest of the roster is pretty old.

Good call.

I can't take credit on this one.  There were reports over the weekend from Jay Glazer and others that this could happen and PFT suggested this could happen after the game.  2nd time Broncos have been the surprise opening.

You know I wonder, since Jason Garrett is a free agent; does Jerry Jones have to go through the Rooney rule to rehire him?

I know one thing, with Fox gone.  Peyton is almost certain to retire now. One thing about Fox, who will be in demand.  Why?  He's a mediocre coach at best.

Edited by Rdskns2000

I'll have to to say it's been a strange offseason with the coaching changes.  Seven openings and possibly eight if Garrett isn't re-signed.  From the Harbaugh drama to Marrone opting out to Garrett not being re-signed yet after a 12-4 season to Fox being fired after a 12-4 season.  How many qualified HCs are out there to take these jobs?  It's more mediocre retreads and inexperienced coordinators.    

I'll have to to say it's been a strange offseason with the coaching changes.  Seven openings and possibly eight if Garrett isn't re-signed.  From the Harbaugh drama to Marrone opting out to Garrett not being re-signed yet after a 12-4 season to Fox being fired after a 12-4 season.  How many qualified HCs are out there to take these jobs?  It's more mediocre retreads and inexperienced coordinators.    

agreed, and weird that only 1 team has filled the HC vacancy so far (bills). but i can see why dallas hasnt re-signed jason garrett yet. hes been busy the past two weeks getting the team ready for the playoff games, going over film, creating a game-plan. i dont see how there would have been any time to discuss a new contract. now that their season is over, he actually has time for those talks with jerry

Surprised Denver let go of Fox. He's an excellent coach. I guess Elway can smell the roses and knows the Broncos are going to be in need of a mass rebuild. The few young guys they have are set to be FAs and the rest of the roster is pretty old.

Sorry, but any coach who elects to PUNT on the other team's 39 down 29-0 in the SUPER BOWL is not an excellent coach.  That was just such a gutless, not-playing-to-win call. 

Sanchez has strenghts but he basically caps out as a game manager type.

Geno is awful. Like, really really awful. Nobody is winning with that guy.

I haven't seen enough of Geno to jump to a conclusion on him.  The jets are quite the dysfunctional franchise right now.  I don't think he's top echelon, and he's got similar issues that RG3 has of holding the ball too long and being afraid to make mistakes (at least the last time I saw him play).  I'm  not convinced we've seen the last of him in the NFL, but he's not had much support from what I can tell from where I sit.