Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Coaching Thread/Race to Black Monday: 1/6/25

88Comrade2000

It's weird how fast Jacksonville flamed out. 2017 was was a banner year for them with Coughlin getting a huge heap of praise for it. I never dreamed that them losing the conference championship to the Patriots by 4 points in his first year was the beginning of the end.

1 hour ago, NickyJ said:

It's weird how fast Jacksonville flamed out. 2017 was was a banner year for them with Coughlin getting a huge heap of praise for it. I never dreamed that them losing the conference championship to the Patriots by 4 points in his first year was the beginning of the end.

Kind of makes sense, though, if you think about it. Having instant success like that can give some a feeling of superiority and convince themselves that they absolutely know what's best. Can lead to stubborness and not seeing their actions and decisions clearly, convinced their way is definitely the best way. I used to say the same thing about Snyder after the Skins won the division and won in the wildcard round during his first year as owner. It probably gave him the false belief that all his actions that year worked--winning the division was his proof that he knew the best way to move forward and nobody could tell him otherwise.

16 hours ago, skinzplay said:

Coughlin is out in Jax, which means they also get an early start on landing a good executive to lead the FO and the HC search. By keeping the current team president around this far into an already-lost season, we're missing out on the chance to reach some of the top talent who might be willing to move on from their current FO gigs. The later we wait, the less likely they'll be available.

Make no mistake, though...it was the NFLPA's complaints about Coughlin that lead to Jax firing him now, not any desire to get a jump on the best executives available. If not for that, Coughlin would still be employed just like Bruce is. Snyder would need a similar move against Bruce by an outside authority. And, no, Trent doesn't count lol...

Edited by Califan007
An INSANE number of typos...

2 weeks to go.

Who joins Washington and Carolina?

NY Giants-  I think this a lock. Only question is if their GM doesn't get the boot also.

Dallas- Garrett's contract ends after Dallas's last game.  They won't be going far, if they make the playoffs.  So, this a lock for an opening.

Los Angeles Chargers -  I have this feeling, the owner will want a new coach to boost sales in the new stadium. I also expect them move on from Rivers.

Jacksonville-  Coughlin is gone.  Doug Marone and probably the GM is next. 

Atlanta- It can go either way.  I think Quinn will end up getting one more chance.

NY Jets- My guess, the owner sticks to his pledge that Adam Gase is coming back.

Cleveland- Kitchen needs to go. The GM needs to go also, for hiring Kitchens.  This could be a landing spot for Urban Meyer.  50-50 on what Haslam does.

My guess right now, there will be at least 4 more openings to reach 6.  It could be higher, it depends on how teams fare in playoffs.

On 12/21/2019 at 2:17 AM, Rdskns2000 said:

2 weeks to go.

Who joins Washington and Carolina?

NY Giants-  I think this a lock. Only question is if their GM doesn't get the boot also.

Dallas- Garrett's contract ends after Dallas's last game.  They won't be going far, if they make the playoffs.  So, this a lock for an opening.

Los Angeles Chargers -  I have this feeling, the owner will want a new coach to boost sales in the new stadium. I also expect them move on from Rivers.

Jacksonville-  Coughlin is gone.  Doug Marone and probably the GM is next. 

Atlanta- It can go either way.  I think Quinn will end up getting one more chance.

NY Jets- My guess, the owner sticks to his pledge that Adam Gase is coming back.

Cleveland- Kitchen needs to go. The GM needs to go also, for hiring Kitchens.  This could be a landing spot for Urban Meyer.  50-50 on what Haslam does.

My guess right now, there will be at least 4 more openings to reach 6.  It could be higher, it depends on how teams fare in playoffs.

I think Quinn and Gase saved their jobs with late surges. 

I'm sad Garrett will be gone. He has been  my favorite coach for years 😁

What about Nagy with the very disappointing Bears and Cincy with Zac Taylor who did notta? 

14 hours ago, DWinzit said:

I think Quinn and Gase saved their jobs with late surges. 

I'm sad Garrett will be gone. He has been  my favorite coach for years 😁

What about Nagy with the very disappointing Bears and Cincy with Zac Taylor who did notta? 

Bears have 7 wins, Nagy will get one more year.

Mike Brown is probably to cheap to fire Taylor. He doesn't like paying money to fired coaches

Browns now join the Panthers and Redskins in HC market. Cowboys and Giants not expected to be far behind.

Head Coach Openings 

1.  Panthers

2. Browns

3. Giants

Your New 2020 Coaches 

1. Redskins- Hire Ron Rivera

Coaches jobs saved for 2020 Hot Seat 

1. Falcons- Quinn coming back, on 2020 Hot seat

2. Lions- Patricia coming back, on 2020 Hot seat

3. Jets- Gase come back, on 2020 Hot seat

Edited by Rdskns2000

I don't like it when people assume things based off other peoples looks and appearance.  It's extremely shallow and mean.  I'm far from a supermodel and I try to treat everyone equally and be nice to everyone.  

But man, Freddie Kitchens looks like a dude who's nursing a hangover in a duck blind somewhere and not an NFL coach.  And that last name isn't doing him any favors, either.  It's like he's spent a lot of time in kitchens everywhere he's been, how can you take that guy seriously if your name is Baker Mayfield, a name that reeks of prep school majesty?  It was doomed from the start. 

Edited by Spaceman Spiff

Such a colossal mistake to hire Kitchens and not Gregg. I'm not saying Gregg would've been the cure all for Cleveland, but given a choice between him and Kitchens......come on, Dorsey. It's pretty clear that dude was in over his head. I don't blame him. He took the job that was offered to him; didn't lobby for it. He just wasn't ready for that kind of responsibility.

I applaud Blank for shutting the media the ** up by giving his HC and GM more time. I would've fired them both. But I'm glad he didn't let the keyboard pitchforks drive his decision-making. I hope he's right.

I think Roman is fool's gold as a HC. Owners start salivating over hot OCs and DCs, only to realize that (a) without the immense talent they had at their previous stop, they're just ordinary, (b) the coordinator ceiling is real, and (c) extraordinary HCs make their coordinators look good.

Having said all that, Shurmur (if he doesn't want to take a year off) would be fantastic on the right HC's staff as OC or QBC. Nobody is going to hire Kitchens as HC or OC this year, which says a heck of a lot about Dorsey's odd decision to give him the reins. Hope he gets a gig as a QBC, though. Mike Shula is the OC in NY. He's damn good, too, and he will be in demand as an OC. Hell, I'd like him in Ashburn.

One thing's for sure. I hope Gettleman gets a lifetime contract from the G-Men!!

I was thinking something and then tonight I'm actually heard a few guys on the radio say the same thing I had already been thinking.

Why aren't we hearing that the Giants are trying to get Rivera? Or maybe they are doing that behind the scenes.

Is that why he's dragging it out with the Redskins now? Maybe he's listening to other offers or maybe he prefers another job over Dan Snyder's dumpster fire.

Everyone seems to agree that the Giants are a much better organization than the Snyderskins.

Therefore if he signs with the Redskins then the theory that he didn't get along with Gettleman is more than likely true.