Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Coaching Thread/Race to Black Monday: 1/6/25

88Comrade2000

It's never too soon to discuss that dark cloud. Gruden has been around long enough to show us that he'll never be able to do enough. This team has had enough talent to be more successful than it has been under his coaching leadership. If we look as woefully unprepared and out-coached on opening day as we have typically looked under Gruden, then he's toast. And there's no use in wasting the season by letting him continue this charade well into weeks 6, 7, 8......

I'd have been happy to get rid of Gruden in the past, but doing it now of all times kind of sucks. NOW we have a young QB who has little experience and needs to be molded by steady hands. Now is absolutely the time to pull the rug out from under him, bonus points for mid-way through the season. Maybe we get lucky and Haskins takes it like Mayfield did, or maybe we get the first 5 years of Alex Smith. Or maybe our new coach would want to go out and get his own guy. I am not a fan of getting your QB, then getting your coach afterwards.

I wouldn't trust a young QB's development to Gruden. Dalton had nice things to say about Gruden; that's what you do in public. But everybody in Cincy knew that Ken Zampese really developed that kid. We have some extremely good young talent on this team. I don't want it squandered.

• Like 1

Matt Patricia should be shown the door at the end of the season. Not HC material. I don't know how in the world he got that job in the first place. It'll be interesting to see how much patience ownership and the FO have with him, relative to canning Caldwell after two 9-7 seasons. It's incredible that they had back-to-back winning seasons with the talent on that roster, talent he kept asking the FO to upgrade. Caldwell is a damn good coach. I hope his health issues are fully taken care of and he can return to coaching in Miami. He's a real asset to that young guy Flores, and to QB development.

22 hours ago, skinzplay said:

I wouldn't trust a young QB's development to Gruden. Dalton had nice things to say about Gruden; that's what you do in public. But everybody in Cincy knew that Ken Zampese really developed that kid. We have some extremely good young talent on this team. I don't want it squandered.

Yes.  Last thing we want if Gruden earns a firing.

We will either get a young offensive coach or if we go with a defensive oriented coach, that coach will have an offensive coordinator to develop Haskins.

It is also possible the new guy May want someone in next year's draft and Haskins is trade.

You know the Nfc East could have 3 new coaches next year.

The seat is hot in Washington, New York , Dallas, Detroit. 

These other teams could have changes.

Pittsburgh - despite the contract extension; failing to meet expectations could finally end Tomlin.

Minnesota - a non playoff season could mean a change here.

Green Bay - already tension with Rodgers and the head coach. Could be a one and done, if Packers miss playoffs again.

Atlanta  - A non playoff season and could be a change here.

Carolina - 2nd year owner has higher expectations. Failure to meet that and time for a change?

Houston - Texans underperform and a change could happen

Jackonsonville - Doug better make playoffs with Foles.

San Francisco - if things don't work out this year Jimmy; could 49ers start over?

Edited by Rdskns2000

I'm wondering if David Shaw will finally get an offer he can't refuse. He's turned down teams before. If I were a GM, that would be my first phone call. Also wonder where McCarthy and Del Rio will land. Detroit made a stupid decision a couple years ago with their GM hire, and then he made an even dumber decision with his HC hire. Both might be shown the door in short order.

Just now, Hooper said:

Freddie Kitchens seat has to be warm. I predicted Lincoln Riley rumors by week 8, they might come a lot sooner.

No way he should've gotten that HC gig over Gregg and a few other qualified guys. Arians would've been great for Mayfield and that team. But hey, we'll see how it pans out. He's in over his head as HC, and the coordinators both stink.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

2 weeks in, the seat is getting hot for some coaches:

1.  Jay Gruden- Can't wait for his firing, each game is inching towards that.

2. Pat Shurmur- Clueless coachm won't be seeing year 3.

3. Doug Marone- Yeah, he lost his starting QB to injury but I think Jags will move from him regardless.

4. Ron Rivera- 0-2 is not a good way to start for a coach on the hot seat. 

5. Mike Tomlin- Does losing Big Ben save him from a bad year in 2019?  Stay tuned.

Shurmur has a ceiling. I really like him, but he shouldn't let people talk him into being a HC (which is what happened), when his real passion is teaching QBs and running an offense. He'll flame out in NY, but will hopefully bounce back on someone's staff. The Steelers have patient ownership; Tomlin's okay. Gase stinks. He's a terrible coach. Gregg is gonna get his HC gig when Gase is fired in NY. Won't happen this season, but the wheels are gonna come off.

Marone is a mystery to me. I've always felt that the Jags are waiting for the guy they want to be available.

I do know one thing - Mike McCarthy is putting together one hell of a potential staff. Not saying I'd necessarily want him in Ashburn, but it's going to be very interesting to see where he lands. With a solid GM, he could be very successful at his next stop. He wants to coach again, badly.

Not sure about Rivera. I like him, but we'll see if Hurney, in his second stint, sees Rivera as someone who deserves continued longevity.

Gruden should've been fired three years ago when it was apparent that he wasn't anywhere near HC material; but I guess sometimes a team president likes to keep people around that he knows he can toy around/boss around/manipulate without consequence. 

4 hours ago, skinzplay said:

Shurmur has a ceiling. I really like him, but he shouldn't let people talk him into being a HC (which is what happened), when his real passion is teaching QBs and running an offense. He'll flame out in NY, but will hopefully bounce back on someone's staff. The Steelers have patient ownership; Tomlin's okay. Gase stinks. He's a terrible coach. Gregg is gonna get his HC gig when Gase is fired in NY. Won't happen this season, but the wheels are gonna come off.

Marone is a mystery to me. I've always felt that the Jags are waiting for the guy they want to be available.

I do know one thing - Mike McCarthy is putting together one hell of a potential staff. Not saying I'd necessarily want him in Ashburn, but it's going to be very interesting to see where he lands. With a solid GM, he could be very successful at his next stop. He wants to coach again, badly.

Not sure about Rivera. I like him, but we'll see if Hurney, in his second stint, sees Rivera as someone who deserves continued longevity.

Gruden should've been fired three years ago when it was apparent that he wasn't anywhere near HC material; but I guess sometimes a team president likes to keep people around that he knows he can toy around/boss around/manipulate without consequence. 

Remember this is the 2nd year of ownership for the Panthers owner. Rivera fails to make the playoffs and the owner will want to hire his first coach and move on from the coach he inherited.

Gruden is on borrowed time.

The hot list will fluctuate as the season goes. By midseason, you'll have a clearer picture and it's possibleby then; a coach will have been fired. 

3 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Remember this is the 2nd year of ownership for the Panthers owner. Rivera fails to make the playoffs and the owner will want to hire his first coach and move on from the coach he inherited.

Gruden is on borrowed time.

The hot list will fluctuate as the season goes. By midseason, you'll have a clearer picture and it's possibleby then; a coach will have been fired. 

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see how those dynamics play out in Charlotte. Hurney hired Rivera, but might well have other ideas now. There were whispers that Steven Wilks didn't want to return to Carolina because of lingering uncertainty about Rivera's fate.

9 hours ago, skinzplay said:

McCarthy is an automatic no from me until he promises to never grow the hobo beard again. I swear, the beard is when things really went wrong.

My Week 3 Hot Seat:

1.  Jay Gruden -  Dead man Walking. Snyder, please put him out of his misery now.

2. Dan Quin- Atlana's window has closed, they haven't been the same since choking away that Superbowl.  He's done if they miss playoffs.

3. Freddie Kitchens- Never should've been given the job. When they fail to met expectations, he will be one and done.

4. Ron Rivera- No playoffs, no Ron.

5. Doug Marone- No Foles but Jags still will probably make a change.

6. Pat Shurmur -  He still sucks but Daniel Jones could save his sorry ass.

7. Adam Gase- He could be one and done. 0-3, not a good way to start a new job.

8. Mike Tomlin- Yeah, I know Pittsburgh is very patient and he doesn't have Ben. Still, how the Steelers play this year could lead to a change anyway.  

I wanna see Dan lose his mind and fire Gruden tomorrow only to realize later that his replacement, Calahan, has to face Belichick and Brady the following week.

Then when we continue to run the ball religiously in moronic fashion on first down everyone realizes that Calahan was actually our new "bingo caller" the entire time.

12 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

I wanna see Dan lose his mind and fire Gruden tomorrow only to realize later that his replacement, Calahan, has to face Belichick and Brady the following week.

Then when we continue to run the ball religiously in moronic fashion on first down everyone realizes that Calahan was actually our new "bingo caller" the entire time.

Is Pepper Rodgers still alive?

On 9/24/2019 at 11:09 AM, Rdskns2000 said:

My Week 3 Hot Seat:

1.  Jay Gruden -  Dead man Walking. Snyder, please put him out of his misery now.

2. Dan Quin- Atlana's window has closed, they haven't been the same since choking away that Superbowl.  He's done if they miss playoffs.

3. Freddie Kitchens- Never should've been given the job. When they fail to met expectations, he will be one and done.

4. Ron Rivera- No playoffs, no Ron.

5. Doug Marone- No Foles but Jags still will probably make a change.

6. Pat Shurmur -  He still sucks but Daniel Jones could save his sorry ass.

7. Adam Gase- He could be one and done. 0-3, not a good way to start a new job.

8. Mike Tomlin- Yeah, I know Pittsburgh is very patient and he doesn't have Ben. Still, how the Steelers play this year could lead to a change anyway.  

All these guys other than Quin are reliant on the play of a first or second year QB (I figure Haskins playing out of his mind could somehow save Gruden)

Your comments on Quinn are spot on

• 2 weeks later...

Week 6 Hot Seat:

Will Jay have company on the unemployment line soon?  Yes, he will:

1.  Dan Quinn - The next coach to be fired, probably gets fired before Atlanta's bye in 3 weeks.

2. Jason Garret- 3 loses in a row. Odds are getting stronger he's not getting a new contract.

3. Freddie Kitchens- Browns are too inconsistent. Hiring him was a mistake.  Haslam probably makes a change in 2020.

4. Doug Marone- I don't see him coming back in 2020.

5. Adam Gase- He could still be one and done. Depends on how many more games Jets can win.

6. Mike Tomlin- Snyder maybe interested.  If the price is right, Steelers could part ways with him.

7.  Pat Shurmur- Depends on how Daniel Jones plays all season.

Ron Rivera drops of the list for now but I still think a non-playoff season means he's let go.

The Skins are still will be the worse job available.

Not only do the Redskins fire their own coach but they are trying hard to relieve an actual team of their "hot seat" coach.

Only the Redskins.

Watch it happen then remember how we solved similar issues for Andy Reid with McNabb and Smith. Throwing out draft picks for stuff they would have given away.

If it doesn't then it'll be another story years later like how dumb Dan was for wanting  guys like Ocho Cinco, Brady Quinn, Sanchez, or Stafford.

• Like 1