Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Coaching Thread/Race to Black Monday: 1/6/25

88Comrade2000

I don't get Rex Ryan. He had no QB all year and he's got 7 wins. The GM should be fired for drafting Geno Smith. That guy does not belong on an NFL field.

Jets have missed playoffs 3 straight years; so that's why he was listed as a possibility but maybe he's done enough to come back.

Actually, a surprise firing could be happening with the Browns?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/12/29/speculation-swirls-about-chudzinski-in-cleveland/

Still hoping to go to bed tonight with Shanny having been fired.

Predictions? Yes Mike and son will be gone tonight and Danny will be in charge of the draft. I predict same-old same-old. Danny will draft a defensive back with the first pick in the second round, probably a safety. but definitely a LB in the 3rd or 4th round. There'll be a 6th or 7th rounder spent on an offensive lineman (or a UDFA)that will never play a down and they'll probably waste another pick on another TE, or maybe even a new punter. We will make a big noise in FA, getting some has-been in his 30's that his own team wouldn't pay half what we gave him, and we'll get a couple of guys from the bench of other teams to fill in for the OL we didn't draft.

Yes, we'll get rid of a HOF coach for a college coach. And we'll talk about building for the future for the umpteenth Danny season. We'll ignore the OL for another season, hoping to find those diamonds in the rough after the 5th round while watching our franchise QB get buried, play after play.. We might trade Cousins for a 4th round pick and then spend a draft pick replacing him. And in another 3 seasons, or less, the clamor will start for drafting another new QB.

Be careful what you wish for. Danny's track record of being in charge without a HOF coach to reign him in is not that good.

First casualty of the chopping block.

Rob Chudzinski will be fired after just one season as coach of the Cleveland Browns, league sources told ESPN.

The Browns are expected to make Chudzinski's firing official early this week, a source added. 

Chudzinski was hired Jan. 11 after the Browns fired Pat Shurmur less than a year ago. The Browns, including owner Jimmy Haslam, became convinced they made a mistake and did not want to continue down their current path with Chudzinski, sources said.  The Browns plan to commence their head coaching search immediately. Last year they interviewed Bill O'Brien, Ken Whisenhunt and Chip Kelly, whom they regret not being able to hire.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10210695/rob-chudzinski-fired-cleveland-browns-head-coach

OUT:

1.  Mike Shanahan

2. Jim Schwartz

3. Rob Chudzinski

Leaning Toward Out

1. Leslie Frazier

2. Mike Munchak

3. Greg Schiano (Possible would leave anyway if PSU job opens up)

Safe:

1. Tom Coughlin

2. Joe Philbin

3. Jason (the puppet) Garrett

I thought I read something saying that Schiano was leaning safe, from this morning, maybe from Schefty?

The biggest bum news for me is that Rex Ryan kept his job.  :( I really, really wanted him as either the next HC or, preferably, the next DC in DC.  

Leslie Frazier and Mike Munchek deserve to be fired, probably. 

I don't understand why Coughlin hasn't been fired. True, they rebounded from 0-5 to finish 7-9, but just like Jacksonville, his shouting and red face eventually wears on players. Jerrah can't fire Ginger. He gave him a vote of confidence in front of the nation.

Edited by pjfootballer

I don't understand why Coughlin hasn't been fired.  True, they rebounded from 0-5 to finish 9-7, but just like Jacksonville, his shouting and red face eventually wears on players.  Jerrah can't fire Ginger.  He gave him a vote of confidence in front of the nation.

I don't think they're 9-7.  That would have been a bit more impressive.

I don't understand why Coughlin hasn't been fired.  True, they rebounded from 0-5 to finish 9-7, but just like Jacksonville, his shouting and red face eventually wears on players.  Jerrah can't fire Ginger.  He gave him a vote of confidence in front of the nation.

Perhaps I'm wearing blue-colored glasses, but it didn't seem to me like Coughlin lost the team.    They played hard in pretty much every game.   And the team leaders were very vocal in their support of the coach (Tuck threatening to punch any teammate that turned on the coach).    There were alot of things wrong with the Giants this year, but I don't think Coughlin "wearing" on the players was one of them.

The giants owners seem to be stating today that they support Coughlin, but that the "offense is broken" and something needs to be done.  It seems to me that the ownership might ask Coughlin to get rid of Gilbride and bring in a new OC.  

I don't think they're 9-7. That would have been a bit more impressive.

Oops. You're right. I meant to say 7-9. Fixed.

Perhaps I'm wearing blue-colored glasses, but it didn't seem to me like Coughlin lost the team. They played hard in pretty much every game. And the team leaders were very vocal in their support of the coach (Tuck threatening to punch any teammate that turned on the coach). There were alot of things wrong with the Giants this year, but I don't think Coughlin "wearing" on the players was one of them.

The giants owners seem to be stating today that they support Coughlin, but that the "offense is broken" and something needs to be done. It seems to me that the ownership might ask Coughlin to get rid of Gilbride and bring in a new OC.

Maybe not, but a think the strength of the team, both your lines, are getting long in the tooth. Age is catching up with your team.

Those 2 superbowls plus the fact the Giants went from 0-6 to 7-9 gave Tom one more season.

The early line for 2014 Hot SEAT:

1.  Giants: Tom Coughlin- A third straight non-playoff appearance will doom him.  It's playoff or bust in 2014.

2.  Boys:  Jason Garrret- I think a 4th straight non-playoff appearance will do it for Jason.

3.  Dolphins:   Assuming Philbin returns but he's definitely on the Hot Seat for 2014. Playoffs or else.

4.  Jets-  Rex saved his ass for 2014 but no playoffs in 14, no more Rex.

5. Steelers-  They are patient bunch but 3 years of no playoffs might do Tomlin in.  Playoffs or else in 2014.

6. Falcons- A second straight non-playoff appearance will put Smith on the hot seat.

Raiders- Allen-  still awaiting word if he will be back or not.  He will be on the hot seat in 2014 should he return.

Edited by Rdskns2000