Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Coaching Thread/Race to Black Monday: 1/6/25

88Comrade2000

Josh McDaniels turned down the Browns offer a few weeks ago.

The Feds need to hurry up and take Haslam down.

You sure McDaniels was offered the job?  Thought he withdrew because he wasn't really in the running.  

People said the Redskins was the worst job out there? 

Edited by Rdskns2000

You sure McDaniels was offered the job?  Thought he withdrew because he wasn't really in the running.  

People said the Redskins was the worst job out there? 

I don't think he was offered the job but I think he was on their short list. The "insiders" at NFL.com claim that Josh withdrew after he had an "awesome" meeting with the Haslam, Banner, and Lombardi. Yet one "insider" Albert Breer believes the job is too "radioactive" for a potential head coach.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000310860/article/josh-mcdaniels-not-interested-in-cleveland-browns-job

RE: Redskins job. Sure we do have the worst job if you believe Mike Shanahan's leaks. He would have you believe that being the head coach of this professional football team is worse than cleaning the toilets at your local Golden Corral. 

Edited by Boss_Hogg

• 11 months later...

First new post for 2014.

Only 3 days until Black Monday 2014: 12/29/14.

Right now, only the Raiders have an opening.

49ers, Bears & Jets are the 3 other teams that will definitely have an opening.

Possible changes

1. Titans - were truely awful this year. Whisenhutt could be one and done.

2. Falcons -  if they win on Sunday  & make playoffs; Mike Smith saves his job.  If they lose, he probably gets fired. 

3. Panthers - if they win on Sunday & make playoffs; Ron Rivera is back.  If they lose, do the Panthers keep him, despite extended his contract after last year?

4. Saints -  Could there be a surprise opening here?  Payton maybe reaching the limits of what he can do here and might be time to go elsewhere?

5. Cowboys - It is possible Cowboys could be playing in the Superbowl :angry: ; Jason Garrett is a free agent. Surely, Jerry Jones is going to resign him?

6. Redskins - Gruden has been told he will be back, or has he? Does he even want to be back?  Despite the reports saying he's coming back; I'll take a wait and see attitude.  If we give A.J. Smith the GM job; maybe he wants to bring in a new coach? Maybe that's a condition of him taking the job, if offered?

7. Giants - For the longest time it looked like Coughlin was a goner.  Now, it's possible he gets a reprive and comes back???  Will see.

8. Dolphins -  Ross says Philbin is coming back.  Will see. Frankly, I think it's a mistake. They need a new coach to take them beyond what they have now.

9. Bills - They will have a .500 season at least.  New owner though may want to bring in his own coach, stay tuned.

So, right now it looks like there will be anywhere from 4 to 13 openings.  Bring on Black Monday! If by chance the Redskins do have an opening; they will be at the bottom. Yes, even below the Raiders.

Edited by Rdskns2000

We know that their will be 4 job openings for sure on Monday,The Bears,49ers,Jets and Raiders will be looking for new coaches, I think there could be job openings in these places too.

1.Tennessee  Titans- The Titans have gotten worse every week they are right now the worst team in the NFL IMO.

2.Carolina Panthers- I know they have a chance at the playoffs but if they lose Sunday I could see Ron Rivera being fired and I wouldn't mind seeing him as if he is fired.

3.Atlanta Falcons- They have only one Playoff game with Mike Smith as their HC and if they lose to the Panthers it would be the 2nd year in a row they would have missed the playoffs.

4.New Orleans Saints- That team's window is just about closed IMO and I could see them becoming the Aints again pretty soon again.Maybe it's time to start over with a whole new coaching staff.

Team that could be looking for a coach if they are one and out in the playoffs and it's not the Dallas Cowboys.

The Cincinnati Bengals- Marvin Lewis is 0-7 in the playoffs if they are1 and out again I would think Mike Brown has to think about making a change that team shouldn't be losing in the 1st round.

Edited by I Love The Skins

The Cincinnati Bengals- Marvin Lewis is 0-7 in the playoffs if they are1 and out again I would think Mike Brown has to think about making a change that team shouldn't be losing in the 1st round.

Marvin needs to go but Mike Brown is notorious for staying with coaches for a while. As long as Marvin keeps them competitive and have a shot at the playoffs; Mike will be happy.  Mike is more about making money, than winning.

Why are the Niners getting rid of Jim Harbaugh again?  

I dunno....just seems like he doesn't necessarily deserve to be let go, he did a good job there.  Was there tension between him and the front office?  Or was it sort of like okay, you are gonna go to Michigan anyway.

Edited by abdcskins

Why are the Niners getting rid of Jim Harbaugh again?  

I dunno....just seems like he doesn't necessarily deserve to be let go, he did a good job there.  Was there tension between him and the front office?  Or was it sort of like okay, you are gonna go to Michigan anyway.

I thought it was pretty much set in stone at the beginning of the season that this would be Jims last season with the 49ers, cause they were unable to get any contract talks going at all. I think that's what created the tension between him and the FO out there, and the 9ers didn't have too good of a season.

could be wrong but thats how i remember it starting.

I thought it was pretty much set in stone at the beginning of the season that this would be Jims last season with the 49ers, cause they were unable to get any contract talks going at all. I think that's what created the tension between him and the FO out there, and the 9ers didn't have too good of a season.

could be wrong but thats how i remember it starting.

Correct.  This was the start.  Jim wanted to paid like a Superbowl winner.

Also, Jim's personality just wears on you.  People get tired of him pretty fast.  All his previous coaching stints haven't been long ones.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/29/falcons-fire-mike-smith/

Smith is gone.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/29/bears-fire-marc-trestman-too/

Trestman is gone.

So, we now have openings in Oakland, San Francisco, NY Jets and Chicago.

Add Atlanta to the list. Mike Smith is out

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12091459/atlanta-falcons-fire-mike-smith