Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Mike Shanahan eyes return in 2014

Vilandil Tasardur

Whelp, here it is. As some of us have been saying, this week's press conference didn't sound like a man who knew he was on the way out. Now whether or not they can make it work, who knows. 

Getcha popcorn ready.

With one year and $7 million remaining on his contract, Redskins coach Mike Shanahan will not resign from his job and actually would like to return to Washington next season as long as he can run the organization the way he wants, according to multiple sources.
And despite speculation that the Redskins would fire Shanahan for cause, there is "no chance" that will happen in the words of a lawyer familiar with the contract. Shanahan intends to sit down with Redskins owner Dan Snyder at the end of the season to see if they can agree on an arrangement that would work for both sides.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10140906/mike-shanahan-wants-return-washington-redskins-2014

Of course he doesn't want to leave! He's built a team entirely of his guys, a staff entirely of his guys, and he's getting paid $7 million.

He'll never, ever, receive this degree of personnel control for the rest of his career.

And his reputation/HOF credentials takes a major hit if he's fired or resigns after his 4th year of a rebuild, following 3 out of 4 seasons with double-digit losses. It would be an abject failure

Unfortunately, the situation has become untenable

This **** only happens to us

I know right? The only coach who wants to come coach for Snyder is...this guy lol.

Of course he doesn't want to leave! He's built a team entirely of his guys, a staff entirely of his guys, and he's getting paid $7 million.

He'll never, ever, receive this degree of personnel control for the rest of his career.

And his reputation/HOF credentials takes a major hit if he's fired or resigns after his 4th year of a rebuild, following 3 out of 4 seasons with double-digit losses. It would be an abject failure

Unfortunately, the situation has become untenable

I doubt he ever works in the NFL after this.

There's nothing truly untenable about it. I think a lot of fans have convinced themselves that it is, but I'm not convinced the parties involved will feel that way.

I've said before, get them all in the room for a come to Jesus meeting. Clear the air and come to terms on how they're going to act for one more season together.

Mike's got a lot to sell. Talk about how much better they're going to get Griff prepared with a full off-season. Talk about how much better the roster is going to be with all this money. We RICH!

The right business decision is for both sides to let the contract play out. Dan will make the right, conservative business decision. The risk of bringing in a whole new staff this season is high. It will be the same risk next year. Why take it now when there's a chance you won't have to?

I know right? The only coach who wants to come coach for Snyder is...this guy lol.

I doubt he ever works in the NFL after this.

Maybe. We're inherently biased.

Given Andy Reid's success in KC and the respect the league has for Shanahan around the league, it sure as hell wouldn't surprise me to see him coach again soon (with a GM).

A year after an NFC East win... with league insiders perhaps believing he was hindered by a poisonous environment created by Snyder, an entitled and injured RGIII....

It only takes 1 owner/GM

I actually would not have a problem with this IF.. he would give up his ability to choose his coaching staff. If Allen, M.Brown and (possibly) a VP of football operations could perform a coaching committee to choose the OC (Kyle could be kept) DC, ST Coach, OL coach, etc. If Shanny really is the overlord that we've been led to believe, then all of the associate coaching failures can be pinned on him. If not, then maybe he needs to be.

There's nothing truly untenable about it. I think a lot of fans have convinced themselves that it is, but I'm not convinced the parties involved will feel that way.

I've said before, get them all in the room for a come to Jesus meeting. Clear the air and come to terms on how they're going to act for one more season together.

Mike's got a lot to sell. Talk about how much better they're going to get Griff prepared with a full off-season. Talk about how much better the roster is going to be with all this money. We RICH!

The right business decision is for both sides to let the contract play out. Dan will make the right, conservative business decision. The risk of bringing in a whole new staff this season is high. It will be the same risk next year. Why take it now when there's a chance you won't have to?

I don't know. The media plays a major part in this. An offseason of melodrama, followed by a season of drama -- every press conference will be picked apart tenfold between Griffin and Shanahan. It makes everything harder for everyone involved.

Furthermore, what message does it send to the players in this lockerroom? Outside of maybe a handful (Jordan Reed, Trent Williams, Alfred Morris, Barry Cofield, Logan Paulsen) every player on this team has underachieved. It sends a message - 3-10, (3-13... 4-12...) is acceptable. Someone needs to be held accountable

If we start poorly next year, it's not hard to envision this team quitting on the lame duck coach. As a franchise, we need a breath of fresh air

Well, if he stays he'll have to find another OC. Looks like Kyle wants to go his own path again.

Maybe he'll sacrifice himself, so his son can have all the glory. I could envision something like that. Play the evil guy, so your son looks great. I can see Mike doing this.

Personally, from a strictly organizational standpoint (taking all the emotion out of it), wouldn't it make much more sense to let the potential new HC start the rebuild with our current cap/draft situation? If you wait until next season, the next HC (assuming Shanahan has another sub .500 season and is gone after the '14 season) won't have such a positive situation from which to start the rebuild.  

At this point who cares.  We aren't going to win anything next year anyway.  Just let him ride it out, save some money, start new in 2015.

Why waste a year of getting a new coach in here with his players and system and coaching these players up? Not to mention another year means Shanahan gets to spend all the cap space this offseason

Whelp, here it is. As some of us have been saying, this week's press conference didn't sound like a man who knew he was on the way out. Now whether or not they can make it work, who knows. 

Getcha popcorn ready.

Link please. :)

Personally, from a strictly organizational standpoint (taking all the emotion out of it), wouldn't it make much more sense to let the potential new HC start the rebuild with our current cap/draft situation? If you wait until next season, the next HC (assuming Shanahan has another sub .500 season and is gone after the '14 season) won't have such a positive situation from which to start the rebuild.

That's assuming you think there's no chance Shanahan can ultimately succeed here. If that's your decision, then of course you make the move now.

But if you still think there's a chance it can work starting next year, if you still have any faith, then why take a huge risk now when the risk doesn't get any smaller if it's done next year?

Archived