Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN - Jason Whitlock - RG III a victim of his own swagger

Mad Mike

At this point, it is easy and pointless to rearticulate the numerous mistakes Mike Shanahan has made during his four-year tenure as the Grand Poobah of the professional football team in our nation's capital. In three weeks, when the regular season is complete, Shanahan and his son are done running Daniel Snyder's franchise.

What is important is to evaluate Shanahan's last decisive decision as Washington's head coach -- benchingRobert Griffin III. It's my belief that Shanahan has made the right decision for the right reason. Humility is the only thing that can save RG III as a franchise quarterback.

Griffin's goals of playing during the preseason and being the opening day starter were fueled by arrogance, a lack of self-awareness and insecurity. He has much to learn as a pocket passer. He is not adept at throwing a receiver open. He's not adept at throwing in rhythm into a tight window. Those pocket-QB attributes are developed with relentless hours on the practice field fostering chemistry with a group of receivers.

A couple of weeks ago on "Sunday Night Football," NBC showed a replay of a play where RG III took a sack allegedly because his receivers were all covered. All three receivers were wide open by NFL standards had the ball been thrown in rhythm in 2.5 seconds. They were the kind of throws Manning and Drew Brees complete with their eyes closed. RG III took a sack. Everyone blamed the offensive line and the receivers. The truth is, Griffin is every bit as responsible for the inefficiencies in Washington's passing offense as the receivers and a group of linemen not quite sturdy enough for a dropback offense with a QB who doesn't throw the ball on time.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10121701/nfl-rg-iii-victim-own-swagger

Interesting take in that no one is let off the hook. 

I agree with Whitlock here that RG3 needs to learn some humility. And frankly I'm stunned at how badly he has sucked this year. At times he has looked like one of the worst QBs in the game rather than one of the best. By that fact alone, he has no right to be pissed at anyone but himself. He came out of the draft talking about how he was *not* just a running QB but since he started last year and dazzled everyone with his legs, it seems that he has been taken in by his own stardom and his legs were his only focus this off season. His claim that he was ready to go in the pre-season with all of the passive aggressive BS about operation patience was a circus that he created yet fans refuse to call him on it. Face it. He created a **** storm for the team and then came out and stunk the place up. I can deal with a rehabbing 2nd year QB stinking the place up. I almost expect it. But creating controversy because his ego got the best of him I can do without.

I agree with everything said about Griffin.

I'm not condemning him at all. I just felt that he was pushing way too hard to play in week one and I remember thinking at the time that he seemed a bit childish about it. I think even RG3 knew he wasn't ready but he was sitting on his starting spot like a brat.

I also wish he had played the media with a little more restraint, including the endorsements with Subway. He bathed himself in the spotlight when he should have been rehabbing and studying.

I still don't know what to make of the Shanny/Snyder mess. I don't think we'll ever get the real deal on all that.

I'm actually sick of hearing about our franchise QB...this coming from a fan who has been starving to have one for 30 years. Here's what I hope he does (and I realize all of this has no impact on anything other than my annoyance):

1) Go by Robert Griffin (drop RG3, as much as he can control)

2) Cut the braids

3) Move into Redskins Park (figuratively) and spend the entire off-season with the new offensive staff

4) No books, features, marketing campaigns...re-dedicate to football

That's it. :)

Jason Whitlock a victim of the low hanging fruit school 'journalism'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oxus3XwG5xU

Robert Griffin's ego or swagger are not the issues here in Washington.

Heck, the offense really isn't the real issue.

The issues are personnel, special teams and defense.

None of which have anything to with Griffin or his swagger.

Mike Shanahan is somewhere laughing that his tactics are working and he's laughing directly at Jason Whitlock.

I'm actually sick of hearing about our franchise QB...this coming from a fan who has been starving to have one for 30 years. Here's what I hope he does (and I realize all of this has no impact on anything other than my annoyance):

2) Cut the braids

3) Move into Redskins Park (figuratively) and spend the entire off-season with the new offensive staff

That's it. :)

if he doesnt come out next year ready to fire on all cylinders and looking like a man possessed, ill begin to get worried.

That was a piss poor piece on the situation. 

The only relevant part was Robert's part in the off-season and pushing to play. 

One reason the kids not developing as a pocket passer. Coaching. He's been set up to fail from the get go by a HC and OC who had ZERO intention of helping and developing him in that. They built a line designed to do the exact opposite for what they cry they want him to be. And scheme and call games that continue to make the QB look piss poor out there; when in reality, when they have worked with him and given him high % short to intermediate quick routes to get him in rhythm he's looked pretty darn good all things considered. 

The part about Snyder not yet canning Shanahan because he realises Robert needs to be humbled is the most out there piece of B/S that there's been thus far this week among all the madness. 

Give me a coaching staff that will work WITH instead of AGAINST the QB, and I'll give you a QB showing the limitless ability we drafted him on. 

Hail. 

Jason Whitlock on 980 now:

- Believes Mike's doing the right thing and that the benching is with good intentions

- RGIII is very sensitive about his brand

- Mike is trying humble RGIII for the next head coach

- Believes RGIII will bounce back

- Believes RGII needs to remove himself from the situation

- Says Dan Snyder should back off from the buddy buddy friendship with RGIII

- RGIII is very strong mentally

- Everyone needs to be humbled (spoke of a small story where Michael Jordan was humbled)

- Compared RGIII and Kaepernick's struggles to the new found fame.

I called this. I am such a genius.

Why don't you people listen to me?

And that will mean that maybe the line isn't as bad as we think and that RGIII is getting sacked because he's bad at avoiding sacks and then Skip Bayless will compare him to Michael Vick and then Jason Whitlock will call him a thug in waiting and oh Jesus just kill me now.

Some Skins with rings need to have an intervention with Griffin, guys like Art Monk, Darrell Green, and Joe Theismann.  In fact, I'd sit Griffin down in front of the NFL Films 1982 Redskins Super Bowl team episode and have him watch it over and over until he memorizes every line out of Theismann's mouth, including "Yeah, I've got restaurants and TV commercials and yadda yadda, but I'll give all that up and just be your quarterback if you tell me to."

Some Skins with rings need to have an intervention with Griffin, guys like Art Monk, Darrell Green, and Joe Theismann.  In fact, I'd sit Griffin down in front of the NFL Films 1982 Redskins Super Bowl team episode and have him watch it over and over until he memorizes every line out of Theismann's mouth, including "Yeah, I've got restaurants and TV commercials and yadda yadda, but I'll give all that up and just be your quarterback if you tell me to."

Thats if you assume that that isn't already his thought process. But I get it, its hard to see that through all of the immoral Subway commercials.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10121701/nfl-rg-iii-victim-own-swagger

Interesting take in that no one is let off the hook. 

I agree with Whitlock here that RG3 needs to learn some humility. And frankly I'm stunned at how badly he has sucked this year. At times he has looked like one of the worst QBs in the game rather than one of the best. By that fact alone, he has no right to be pissed at anyone but himself. He came out of the draft talking about how he was *not* just a running QB but since he started last year and dazzled everyone with his legs, it seems that he has been taken in by his own stardom and his legs were his only focus this off season. His claim that he was ready to go in the pre-season with all of the passive aggressive BS about operation patience was a circus that he created yet fans refuse to call him on it. Face it. He created a **** storm for the team and then came out and stunk the place up. I can deal with a rehabbing 2nd year QB stinking the place up. I almost expect it. But creating controversy because his ego got the best of him I can do without.

What's more tragic is that the Shanahan's got rope a doped into starting him by everyone on TV and the RG's themselves with the Media Machine that was cut loose due to Adrian Peterson's unbelievable return.  There was more than likely zero doubt in any coaches head prior to the first game that RG was going to be a good pocket passer at this point of his development, but I believe he was much worse than they could have anticipated.  The writing/video was on the wall in game 1 this season.  Kyle started the game with plays designed to keep RG in the pocket and he was horrible.    He started off the season throwing off his back foot and not stepping into his throws and actually got worse back peddling.  There have been more instances of him regressing this season than progressing and it all happened due to the fact that the Media Machine of RG was superman like AP.  Behind all of that was his and as well as himself lobbying to keep him in the pocket.  Which would have been fine had there been time to develop that skill/ability.  That however, was never a luxury the Shanahans had.  Now they are the fall guys for placating RG's desires to start to soon and play the game in a way he wasn't prepared to do so.  The coaching candidates are poor this year imnsho compare to what we currently have.  The pain fans felt this year more than likely will only go up as will the frustration.  If we bring a coach in here that tries to play to RG's legs his career will be shortened if not over sooner than his contract expires.  KS did a vg job in Houstan with his QB's and they were not mobile as RG was.  RG wasn't a pocket passer last year and he's not yet one this year.  The Shanny's made two mistakes... Bringing RG back to soon with no real time available to teach him the fundamentals of being a pocket passer and being successful at it.   MS should have just said no to the Machine... but that is easier said than done when RG during pre season is on the field pre games rolling out and throwing the ball down field.  Of course that all looked great... till the first game whistle blew.

That was a piss poor piece on the situation. 

The only relevant part was Robert's part in the off-season and pushing to play. 

One reason the kids not developing as a pocket passer. Coaching. He's been set up to fail from the get go by a HC and OC who had ZERO intention of helping and developing him in that. They built a line designed to do the exact opposite for what they cry they want him to be. And scheme and call games that continue to make the QB look piss poor out there; when in reality, when they have worked with him and given him high % short to intermediate quick routes to get him in rhythm he's looked pretty darn good all things considered. 

The part about Snyder not yet canning Shanahan because he realises Robert needs to be humbled is the most out there piece of B/S that there's been thus far this week among all the madness. 

Give me a coaching staff that will work WITH instead of AGAINST the QB, and I'll give you a QB showing the limitless ability we drafted him on. 

Hail. 

Really? Now you claim to know Shanahan's intentions? You honestly believe the bull **** you just typed? 

And some how, you think that the same guy who developed Elway as OC and later coached him to consecutive superbowls... a guy who has coached Montana and Young.... has no idea how to coach RG3?.... But you do.

Riiiiiight.  :lol:

Really? Now you claim to know Shanahan's intentions? You honestly believe the bull **** you just typed? 

And some how, you think that the same guy who developed Elway as OC and later coached him to consecutive superbowls... a guy who has coached Montana and Young.... has no idea how to coach RG3?.... But you do.

Riiiiiight.  :lol:

KUBIAK! Kubiak took Elway over the edge as both his QB coach and OC in the two SB's John won. After being the QB coach of Steve Youngs finest year in another SB victory. 

Shanahan has done jack **** before or since Kubiak was his QB coach/ OC.  

One more time, in case your gona' run so ill informed again, KUBIAK is the name you're looking for. NOT Shanahan. 

Hail. 

I hope Griffin doesn't change one goddamn thing. 

Its kinda pathetic that some people are jealous or intolerant of Griffin's fame or status.

Griffin didn't steal his fame, he earned it was given to him because of success. Together with Briles helped put Baylor on the football map, he won the Heisman trophy, he won NFL Rookie of the Year. So yeah, the kid is famous the kids got swagger.

His swagger didn't get him hurt, his swagger didn't cause the problems on the football team, his swagger can't coach special teams or defense (but I bet a healthy serving of Robert's swag would help).

I hope Griffin doesn't change a micky-ficky thing.

I hope Griff makes all the people that hate on his well deserved fame eat it.

I hope he's strong enough to do that, because when success returns it will taste that much sweeter.

And his swag will be 'phenomenal'

Robert+Griffin+III+2011+Heisman+Trophy+P

KUBIAK! Kubiak took Elway over the edge as both his QB coach and OC in the two SB's John won. After being the QB coach of Steve Youngs finest year in another SB victory. 

Shanahan has done jack **** before or since Kubiak was his QB coach/ OC.  

Hail. 

LOL. The guy who's best offense as a HC was when Kyle was OC. The guy who was just fired because his team full of stars sucked worse than us?

Oh man... You so funny.

2) Cut the braids

So after one season, we're actually ASHAMED of our QB. We don't want him in the spotlight, we want one of Mike Shanahan's robots. Historically bad defense, special teams, playcalling, coaching and personnel management and you want RGIII to shave his braids and drop the nickname. Just, what the hell.

LOL. The guy who's best offense as a HC was when Kyle was OC. The guy who was just fired because his team full of stars sucked worse than us?

Oh man... You so funny.

>Mike Shanahan with Kubiak as OC

114-62, 2 Super Bowls, 2 AFCCG, 1/11 losing seasons

>Mike Shanahan without Kubiak

48-64, 1 playoff appearance, no playoff wins, 4/6 losing seasons

There is no doubt that ... "mistakes were made"   :lol: (hey, it's DC's football team!)

I think there is a lot to what Steve Young had to say ... 

"That's fine. He will be safer. He will be healthy," Young said on ESPN's NFL Live. "But if you're playing well and doing your work, you're doing the job. You're playing."  http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/3793/young-doesnt-buy-shanahans-reason

I'm sorry, but I am sure Robert's mechanics are playing a part in his struggles, but on his radio show Mark Schlerth said that Robert's INT in the KC game was off a play that had to be installed day one ...it's the most basic play in Shanahans offense and basically he said the fact that Robert missed the tight end as his second read is inexcusable. The tight end was in deed open on that play. Lots has to be said to that.

No denying it ... i love that he is on our team, but he was playing so bad. 

One thing people have to stop doing though is saying the issues he is having now are permanent ... the kid was incredible last year, his accuracy was awesome, his pocket presense was great, his ability to come off first reads was okay. 

He can do these things ... he is just not doing them now for whatever reason. 

So after one season, we're actually ASHAMED of our QB. We don't want him in the spotlight, we want one of Mike Shanahan's robots. Historically bad defense, special teams, playcalling, coaching and personnel management and you want RGIII to shave his braids and drop the nickname. Just, what the hell.

I'm ashamed of and for some of our fans.

Archived