Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Budget Fight: FY2014 Sequestration

Fergasun

Part, III, IV, V or whatever.... time for another budget fight thread.  Patty Murray and Paul Ryan have actually agreed to scale back sequestration a little bit (queue right and left-wing folks screaming "BETRAYAL" at the top of their lungs).  Don't understand how everyone can agree that sequestration was horrible policy, and at the same time get upset when sequestration is scaled back for other cuts.

Admittedly it is a small scale deal that provides some relief.  I don't understand how right-thinking folks can say "it proves we won't hold the line on sequestration".  The GOP held the line on sequestration through FY12 and FY13.  Furthermore they get points for compromise although it should be no surprise that they will play somewhat nice during an election year.  After all, government workers, defense workers, and other people impacted by sequestration vote and they can all say "thanks for not screwing us as bad as you did last year!".

Who knows what FY15 will bring, but I do know the defense cuts for FY14 were supposed to be more severe than FY13. 

When are we going to pay our bills?

Which party is looking to pay bills?

This won't be a budget fight at all.  Repubs looked bad because of shutting down the Gov.  Dems looking bad because of Obamacare rollout.  Everyone feeling uneasy about reelection.  Everyone is going to play nice.

Which party is looking to pay bills?

This won't be a budget fight at all. Repubs looked bad because of shutting down the Gov. Dems looking bad because of Obamacare rollout. Everyone feeling uneasy about reelection. Everyone is going to play nice.

First step is tax capital the same as labor. But that's a hard sell for most politicians as they are in the oligarch's pockets. This country has a revenue problem but no shortage of wealth. Unfortunately, just observing this nation's Ginni Coefficient, we seem to be fast tracking to some sort of corporate fascism/ feudalism hybrid where corporations practically write our laws to undermine any populist policy. I

Part, III, IV, V or whatever.... time for another budget fight thread.  Patty Murray and Paul Ryan have actually agreed to scale back sequestration a little bit (queue right and left-wing folks screaming "BETRAYAL" at the top of their lungs).  Don't understand how everyone can agree that sequestration was horrible policy, and at the same time get upset when sequestration is scaled back for other cuts.

Admittedly it is a small scale deal that provides some relief.  I don't understand how right-thinking folks can say "it proves we won't hold the line on sequestration".  The GOP held the line on sequestration through FY12 and FY13.  Furthermore they get points for compromise although it should be no surprise that they will play somewhat nice during an election year.  After all, government workers, defense workers, and other people impacted by sequestration vote and they can all say "thanks for not screwing us as bad as you did last year!".

Who knows what FY15 will bring, but I do know the defense cuts for FY14 were supposed to be more severe than FY13.

Except in this case sequestration wasn't scaled back for other cuts. Historically future cuts never happen. David Stockman (who I don't believe is close to being a tea partier) basically called this the return to old spending habits and a capitulation by the Republican party. Bottom-line politics trumped policy resulting in a bad policy decision.

As for compromise how is it a compromise to go back and undo a compromise?

A bipartisan deal passed in the House and is expected to pass in the Senate!

A breakthrough budget deal that avoids a government shutdown in January and blunts automatic spending cuts easily won passage in the U.S. House of Representatives on Thursday, laying the groundwork for two years free of funding crises.

The 332-94 bipartisan vote sends the measure to the Senate, which is expected to pass it next week despite the objections of conservative political groups that say it violates their core goal of cutting government spending.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/12/13/us-usa-fiscal-idUSBRE9BA0WN20131213

Woooohooo! Boehner told the Tea Party, Heritage Foundation et al to shove it! Granted that's not a direct quote but it might as well be.

Some moments feel like turning points. Speaker John Boehner's rhetorical takedown of his party's Tea Party faction seems like one such moment.

For two days running, Boehner, R-Ohio, has made clear that he's heard just about enough from conservative advocacy groups such as the Heritage Foundation, Americans for Prosperity and Freedomworks.

On Wednesday, he called them "ridiculous." On Thursday, he said "they've lost all credibility."

Stoking Boehner's anger was their rapid-fire opposition to the modest budget deal reached by fellow Republican Rep. Paul Ryan and Democratic Sen. Patty Murray, Congress' respective budget committee chairmen. The measure was passed by the House Thursday evening.

But he seemed even more ticked off by what he said, in so many words, was an unserious approach to governing demonstrated by those groups and their allies in Congress.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolitics/2013/12/12/250555582/boehner-blisters-tea-party-groups-over-budget-deal-criticism?utm_content=socialflow&utm_campaign=nprfacebook&utm_source=npr&utm_medium=facebook

This deserves more air play. Really, we look considerably less doomed then we did just 2-3 months ago.

How so?

The deficit,economy and monetary policy all are sub-par and poised for a bubble pop....congresscritters simply agreeing to spend more today with savings later is just more of the same.

not to mention that pension thingie

I'm stocking up on booze

This deserves more air play. Really, we look considerably less doomed then we did just 2-3 months ago.

Without a doubt, the fact that Speaker Boehner is shutting down the Right-wing fringe gives a lot of hope that Congress might actually start working together and seeking bipartisanship rather than brinksmanship politics. That alone is reason for celebration, even if somewhat tempered, but the fact that we've avoided another catastrophic showdown (at least for now) is a really good thing regardless of what the doom and gloom chicken littles say.

Without a doubt, the fact that Speaker Boehner is shutting down the Right-wing fringe gives a lot of hope that Congress might actually start working together and seeking bipartisanship rather than brinksmanship politics. That alone is reason for celebration, even if somewhat tempered, but the fact that we've avoided another catastrophic showdown (at least for now) is a really good thing regardless of what the doom and gloom chicken littles say.

They all are just greasing the skids for the next election.  Not sure why the need for celebration, this is how they work.

If that means that for the next year we see and end to brinksmanship politics and the Speaker kicking the Tea Party in the teeth then I'll take it.

Not sure anyone is running and hiding....or felt a kick in the teeth.  I think with the shutdown fiasco and the Obamacare website fiasco everyone is hunkering in and preparing their next move.

Regardless, two years without budget and sequestration issues is good enough for me.

Woooohooo! Boehner told the Tea Party, Heritage Foundation et al to shove it! Granted that's not a direct quote but it might as well be.

Hubby just told me they showed him on Morning Joe, from his podium comments yesterday, and he was calling Cruz & Co. "stupid" for shutting down the government!

Really surprises me. I mean, it REALLY surprises me.

Think this was a REALLY smart move, by the Reps. Just conjecture, but I was thinking that a GOP shutdown of the government might be the thing that shifted the public's limited attention away from the Obamacare suckage, and made the GOP look worse than Obama, again.

Just my opinion, but I think the odds of the GOP taking the Senate just went up.

Really surprises me. I mean, it REALLY surprises me.

Think this was a REALLY smart move, by the Reps. Just conjecture, but I was thinking that a GOP shutdown of the government might be the thing that shifted the public's limited attention away from the Obamacare suckage, and made the GOP look worse than Obama, again.

Just my opinion, but I think the odds of the GOP taking the Senate just went

Here's hoping you are wrong.

If the move to the middle is genuine and the Tea Party is left out in the cold then we'll really see who is in control of the GOP. The difficult part for them is how to get the moderate GOPers through the primaries. Will they appeal to the lowest common denominator in the hopes that the moderate voters have amnesia (as they've done for the last few election cycles, or will they appeal to high order ideas and rational compromise and risk getting killed in the primaries by the far Right.

I remember a few other GOPers who dared to walk where Boehner is now only to find themselves forced to kiss the rings of those whom they offended. Time will tell, but it is certainly a whole lot more interesting now than it was a couple weeks ago.

If the move to the middle is genuine and the Tea Party is left out in the cold then we'll really see who is in control of the GOP. The difficult part for them is how to get the moderate GOPers through the primaries. Will they appeal to the lowest common denominator in the hopes that the moderate voters have amnesia (as they've done for the last few election cycles, or will they appeal to high order ideas and rational compromise and risk getting killed in the primaries by the far Right.

I remember a few other GOPers who dared to walk where Boehner is now only to find themselves forced to kiss the rings of those whom they offended. Time will tell, but it is certainly a whole lot more interesting now than it was a couple weeks ago.

In some crazy twist, maybe this kind of move is the beginning of taking away the absurd power that Iowa, NH and SC have in our election process.

I'd love for Ryan, Christie etc to tell those first states to pound sand.

Archived