Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins vs Falcons: History, Anecdotes, and Fan Memories

hail2skins

Trying to keep this up since Kleese is a slacker since this season has gone up in flames. However, this rivalry is tough to come up with any games of note.

During the last Skins Super Bowl season (1991) the teams met twice, both at RFK and in pretty bleak conditions.  The regular season game was one of the handful I got to attend at RFK and it was a 56-17 rout as Mark Rypien threw for 6 TDs.  The playoff game was 24-7 and featured a lot of seat cushions raining down on the field in the 4th quarter.

1992 was the second game of the season and first game at home after we had been whipped in Dallas in the season opener. Skins won 24-17 as rookie Desmond Howard had a punt return for a TD (believe someone else through it across the field to him). Still, the Skins kind of struggled that day and it wa a harbinger of what would be a tough season. Deion also went the distance 99 yards on a kickoff for Atlanta.

Other than that, I really have nothing, aside from DeAngelo Hall attempting to fight the Falcons bench in 2009 and RG3 getting knocked out of last year's game.

One game vs the Falcons that stands out to me was Week 2 of 2003. We beat them 33-31. I think Ramsey, Coles, and Gardner had monster games, and it was there I was starting to believe that Spurrier was turning things around for the best. I think Armstead had a safety too.

I realize the Falcons were missing Vick that day, but we came back from a 17-0 hole to win it and put us at 2-0.

Things went south about 2-3 weeks later.

Kleese is definetly a slacker. When we're doing well, he's posting nonstop in the Flex thread and creating this weekly thread :P

One game vs the Falcons that stands out to me was Week 2 of 2003. We beat them 33-31. I think Ramsey, Coles, and Gardner had monster games, and it was there I was starting to believe that Spurrier was turning things around for the best. I think Armstead had a safety too.

I realize the Falcons were missing Vick that day, but we came back from a 17-0 hole to win it and put us at 2-0.

Things went south about 2-3 weeks later.

Yeah I remember that game. I remember thinking, okay we're finally back, we're gonna be really good, Spurrier has legit weapons to work with(lol).

IIRC Patrick Ramsey was the highest rated QB in the league through the first month or so of that season. We were also the last team to beat the Pats that year, when we beat them in Week 4 to go to 3-1.

I remember going to Tyson's Corner to stand in line and try and get tickets to this game with my dad.  I was SOOO excited.  We got there at 6am and were 9th and 10th in line respectively.  The first three got tickets and that was it.  I was heartbroken.  I mean I was TOUGH to deal with that day.  This game made up for that.

That's back when having season tickets meant something.  But man, what a game.

I was invited to go to this Sunday's game back in May. I am happy to have declined. I live on Long Island. The expense of getting to, and staying in, Atlanta for the weekend to watch this team probably lose, and not getting to see Robert play live would have made my entire experience maddening.

The seat cushion game is the first thing that comes to mind. God I miss those days!

And yes, Rypien had a chance to set a TD record in the regular season match-up with the Falcons; one of the coaches told Ryp that he's close to setting a record, but Ryp wasn't focused on records and didn't care about it so he 'sat down'. imagine that, a QB sitting down when the game was beyond over. [ sorry I just had to ]  :).

To see Deion Sanders with is little pre-game dance, then Ricky Sanders abusing him for a bomb TD pass was fitting.  One thing about Rypien, he had superb downfield perception, hitting receivers in stride.  Did I mention how I miss those days?

My favorite Falcon memory is Ron McDole blocking a potential game-tying Atlanta FG during that heart-stopping 1975 season.

I think the final was something like 30-27. 

The 70's Skins were fun to watch.  For the most part, they were never quite good enough to get over the hump but they were never bad enough that they weren't a factor in December.

Archived