Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Give Us Your Top Three Picks for a New GM

actorguy1

If Morocco Brown is part of the dysfunctional Skins FO, why would we want him as a GM??

Why?  If he is part of our FO, he sucks.

There have been Skins former FO members who went on to have excellent careers elsewhere as GMs.  Trent Baalke of San Francisco and John Schneider of Seattle comes to mind.  Baalke spent four years with us before moving on to 49ers in mid 2000's and although Schneider is more of a Packers guy, he was part of our FO for a while.  

Morocco Brown spent time with the bears till 2008 and is well regarded around the league and viewed as a potential future GM by other teams as well.  I wouldn't pass over him just because he has been part of our FO.  In fact, he may be more intimate with DC FO issues because of his experience.

I hope that this is what Snyder & Co. are working on behind the scenes as we speak. Obviously, an open search for a new head of football ops undermines the current administration. Hopefully, Snyder & Co. are working on "how" to hire someone for that position. I hope they also cast a wide net.

There have been Skins former FO members who went on to have excellent careers elsewhere as GMs.  Trent Baalke of San Francisco and John Schneider of Seattle comes to mind.  Baalke spent four years with us before moving on to 49ers in mid 2000's and although Schneider is more of a Packers guy, he was part of our FO for a while.  

Morocco Brown spent time with the bears till 2008 and is well regarded around the league and viewed as a potential future GM by other teams as well.  I wouldn't pass over him just because he has been part of our FO.  In fact, he may be more intimate with DC FO issues because of his experience.

This is an article from 2008 by Jason Reid (or maybe its Jason LaConfora) about Morocco Brown.  Please read.  Even though its older its still good stuff:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/morocco-brown.html

I just did. So in 14 seasons you can come up with a good back, a great reciever, an overrated DE, a good DE, an always injured S, and an overrated TE.

Congrats. He is exactly what the Skins need

I don't think you understood his post.  Everyone he listed (Mathis, DC, Saturday etc) were UDFA.  Those were not his ONLY good picks "in 14 season" as you stated.  However, considering all these guys were UDFA it's a hell of of an accomplishment.  And yes, that's EXACTLY what the Skns need.

Meh -- I think the Skins need to hire someone from the outside that's not been tainted by this existing organizational structure. 

New, fresh perspective.  Vision and drive.

I disagree, I think promoting Brown gives the Skins an advantage not only in the HC search, but also in next years player acquisitions.

We have a bunch of players headed to FA, having Brown already on board will greatly assist the new HC in evaluating who to keep, who to let walk and who to bring in from the FA market.

Also, by bringing a new GM, he has to learn very fast what direction this team needs to go and with what players are going to get the team pointed in that direction. On top of that he will have to do a HC search and then help the new HC fill his staff.

Thats and awlful lot of stuff to happen in only a few short months.

Does Bruce Allen deserve to be replaced? I ask this because he didn't really do anything the first time around. Let's break it down:

1) The owner picked the head coach

2) The head coach picked all of the assistant coaches.

3) The head coach had final decision making authority on all of the players.

What exactly did Bruce Allen do besides be a figure head?

I say give him another chance. Let's see what happens when its HIS ass on the line, because he is making all of the decisions.

We'll all know soon enough if he sucks or not. Just my .02.

The one thing we know he was involved in was very successful - contracts.  Finally, we have competence in that area.

If Dan doesn't do this; the skins will never be consistent winners.

Once the word of Shanny's firing comes; we should be hearing that Dan will hiring a GM.

Thing is, who here honestly believes that Dan Snyder will hire a traditional GM and let the GM hire the coach?

I don't.   Even though I don't buy the rumor; already a rumor about Cowher being pursued.

What makes anyone certain that a new GM will be hired?  Is Bruce Allen going to be let go or move to a different role?

Bruce is more into the contracts and financial end of the buisiness.

What we are needing is a person who is going to be in charge of player personel.

Then between Allen and whoever (M. Brown I hope) they will hire the next HC and fill out the staff.

AJ Smith will Not be GM

BREAKING: Buccaneers clean house - head coach Greg Schiano & GM Mark Dominik have been fired.

Schwartz fired in Detroit. no word on GM Mayhew

#Lions GM Martin Mayhew is acting and making calls like he is safe. He believes he will be heavily involved in the next coaching search

Retweeted by NFL Network

I'm all in for Pioli.  He messed up putting faith in Cassel but he gets late round picks (the ones that count) as good as anyone. 

Someone above mentioned Polian, whom I love.  But his strong personality won't mesh with Snyder at all. Jerry Richardson's strong personality got him ran him out of Carolina......right after he got them to the Super Bowl.

This would be the best for us IMO:

President- Bruce Allen

GM- I'd love to get Pioli or DeCosta, but Morocco would  be fine.  Just get a GM

Head of Scouting- AJ Smith.  The guy knows players

Head Coach- Ken Whisenhunt

OC- Ken Whisenhunt

DC- Wade Phillips.  They run a 3-4 similar to ours.

Morocco Brown is probably the guy and would be an excellent hire

I believe that the current regime did much better with personnel than given credit for. Our roster was the oldest in the league with huge salary cap issues. Now we have room , and youth.

Morocco Brown should be promoted to GM, Bruce Allen made VP football operations, and then hire the best coach you can.

Archived