Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Give Us Your Top Three Picks for a New GM

actorguy1

So much being made about choices for a new  head coach. Let's break the chain and hire the BEST GM FIRST who will find the team the best possible Coaches. Give us your top 3 candidates. Here's my attempt at it

Omar Khan-Steelers Assistant GM

Russ Ball-Packers VP of Admin and Finance

Nick Casserio-Patriots Director of Player Personnel

Eric Decosta-Ravens Assistant GM.

Trent Kirchner-Seahawks Director of Pro Personnel

Joel Patten-49ers Director of Player Personnel

All are top flight lieutenants in winning organizations with backgrounds in scouting and will be committed to building this franchise the right way: the draft and young players.

The only GMs we know are Bobby Beathard and Ron Wolff.

I would be interested in Duke Tobin. He's had a big hand in bringing in a lot of talent to Cincy and would probably love the chance to work for someone who does not model himself after Scrooge McDuck.

It's not like he's ever going to move up the ladder with the Bengals. Mike Brown is still the official GM and there are five family members between Mike and Tobin on the flow chart.

If you can have any success in that organization, you have to have talent.

In all honesty, I don't fully trust the people from organizations like New England, Baltimore, and Pittsburgh. Those teams are well-run with good owners, good GMs, and good scouts. How hard is it really to do well there?

The only GMs we know are Bobby Beathard and Ron Wolff.

I would be interested in Duke Tobin. He's had a big hand in bringing in a lot of talent to Cincy and would probably love the chance to work for someone who does not model himself after Scrooge McDuck.

It's not like he's ever going to move up the ladder with the Bengals. Mike Brown is still the official GM and there are five family members between Mike and Tobin on the flow chart.

If you can have any success in that organization, you have to have talent.

In all honesty, I don't fully trust the people from organizations like New England, Baltimore, and Pittsburgh. Those teams are well-run with good owners, good GMs, and good scouts. How hard is it really to do well there?

I like Tobin as well. The Bengals have been an EXCELLENT drafting team in recent years, pretty much have to be with those cheapskate owners.

Scott Pioli. Before you heap scorn upon the suggestion, remember that KC had 6 pro-bowlers last year.

Pioli made 2 big mistakes in KC. First, he picked the wrong coach...but Haley had been the OC when the Cards went to the SB. Secondly, the wrong QB. Cassell was constantly injured, which was not foreseeable. He only traded a 2nd to get him AND Vrabel, though the subsequent contract turned into an embarassment.

Lastly, any team would collapse after the Jovan Belcher episode.

Where he EXCELLED was in drafting defensive players, and our D SUCKS! We already have 1 and possibly 2 franchise QB(s). Keep Smith and Morocco B on staff, and let the 3 of them decide on a coach together.

Scott Pioli. Before you heap scorn upon the suggestion, remember that KC had 6 pro-bowlers last year.

Pioli made 2 big mistakes in KC. First, he picked the wrong coach...but Haley had been the OC when the Cards went to the SB. Secondly, the wrong QB. Cassell was constantly injured, which was not foreseeable. He only traded a 2nd to get him AND Vrabel, though the subsequent contract turned into an embarassment.

Lastly, any team would collapse after the Jovan Belcher episode.

Where he EXCELLED was in drafting defensive players, and our D SUCKS! We already have 1 and possibly 2 franchise QB(s). Keep Smith and Morocco B on staff, and let the 3 of them decide on a coach together.

I like your points. He did draft really well. The team Andy had is mostly of player Pioli drafted.

Bill Polian

His record is outstanding, and Irsay fired him prematurely. Irsay has become a joke since kicking Polian out, twitting this and that, giving up 1st round picks to busts (Trent Richardson).

Bill Polian created the Buffalo Bills team that went to those Super Bowls; built the Carolina Panthers from the ground-up as an expansion team; and is the architect of the Manning-era Indianapolis Colts.

He just makes great teams.

Bill Polian

His record is outstanding, and Irsay fired him prematurely. Irsay has become a joke since kicking Polian out, twitting this and that, giving up 1st round picks to busts (Trent Richardson).

Bill Polian created the Buffalo Bills team that went to those Super Bowls; built the Carolina Panthers from the ground-up as an expansion team; and is the architect of the Manning-era Indianapolis Colts.

He just makes great teams.

On top of being a great personnel man, he is high on RGIII.  Maybe we could sway him that way?  I'm not holding my breathe though.

Does Bruce Allen deserve to be replaced? I ask this because he didn't really do anything the first time around. Let's break it down:

1) The owner picked the head coach

2) The head coach picked all of the assistant coaches.

3) The head coach had final decision making authority on all of the players.

What exactly did Bruce Allen do besides be a figure head?

I say give him another chance. Let's see what happens when its HIS ass on the line, because he is making all of the decisions.

We'll all know soon enough if he sucks or not. Just my .02.

I like Tobin as well. The Bengals have been an EXCELLENT drafting team in recent years, pretty much have to be with those cheapskate owners.

Yea. He has helped build a really good team with one hand tied behind his back.

The only concern with someone like him is that he would come here with all the resources and money that Danny provides and just go nuts. 

"James Harrison still has something left in the tank! 2 years for $17 million out to do it!!"

Pioli has an ego larger than FedEx field. I just don't see that working here. Plus....has anyone from New England succeeded anywhere other than New England?

Does Bruce Allen deserve to be replaced? I ask this because he didn't really do anything the first time around. Let's break it down:

1) The owner picked the head coach

2) The head coach picked all of the assistant coaches.

3) The head coach had final decision making authority on all of the players.

What exactly did Bruce Allen do besides be a figure head?

I say give him another chance. Let's see what happens when its HIS ass on the line, because he is making all of the decisions.

We'll all know soon enough if he sucks or not. Just my .02.

Bruce Allen is more of a VP of Football ops than a GM.  We want someone who will control player acquisitions and let him slide into a role of being a medium between the team and the owner.

Archived