Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike Shanahan Press Conference: "I haven't made a decision on the starting QB **UPDATE** per John Keim: Cousins will start

Boss_Hogg

… Ugh… Hmmm… He said this, and then he's putting RG3 in the sandpit against the Seahawks? Or you mean … or maybe you didn't mean … but. Well, RG3 was put in the sandpit against the Seahawks, AND THEN, he said what he said about RG3 playing on turf. As a result of the Seahawks game. Get it?

One of Shan's excuses for possibly sitting RGIII are the "synthetic turf" conditions in Atlanta and New Jersey.

Yet we saw our franchise QB play in a freaking blizzard yesterday.

He's trying to force Snyder to fire him so he can still get paid.  It also puts pressure on Snyder to do something so that Shanahan can say "see, I told you. I tried to make a move for what I think is best for the team and Snyder came in to override my decision because he's Roberts protector and buddy."

Yep, nailed it

He's totally daring Dan to fire him, 1...& 2) he's doing so knowing that if Dan fires him after this revelation that it only further justifies Shanahan's leaked story & stance.

If I were Dan, I would let the season play out...let Shanahan dig his own grave. Best case scenario Is that Kirk's trade value goes up & he still fires Shanahan.

This is a lose-lose now for the Dan because he waited till today. If he fires him last night we don't have this situation.

Then I thank my lucky stars that it may allow me to get a 1st round pick, or a 2nd and a 3rd, for Cousins and go from there.

Griffin's eventual cieling is much higher than Cousins is. And I think a healthy Griffin in his 3rd year is better than Cousins in the short term as well to be honest. While Cousins may be a "safer" bet (I'm not even sure about that), I'd take Griffin as the gamble every time because of the ceiling on his talent and ability.

Cousins coming in and doing great, to me, just improves his value to flip him.

Actually, him doing great for 3 games could be the best thing for us. Lets us flip him in the off season, reducing the chance of some kind of "controversy" occuring as we enter into Griffin's 3rd year coming off a subpar (and yet strangely, far from "bad") year.

So if I'm reading you correctly, you feel RG3's ceiling is more important, even if evidence suggests that the team plays harder and performs better with Cousins.  What effect do you think that would have on the rest of the team if you trade away the QB they played for for the one they didn't?  Especially given that the thing with athletes with high ceilings is the risk they never actually reach that ceiling.

I realize I'm not being fair and just playing devil's advocate.  Just like hearing reasonable discussions about these sort of things.

HAILSKINSNYC, on 09 Dec 2013 - 4:08 PM, said:

by the way, I bet Cousins plays well.   They will design a game plan to make Cousins look good...they will bootleg teams to death.

Hopefully this will lead to a 1st round pick

That is the best possible outcome. I would like to see RG3 get through the year healthy. He has been sacked like 15 times in the last 3 games. But this smacks of Shanny daring Snyder to fire him. If he cared about RG3's health he would have benched him in the snow this week. Or pulled him earlier. That game was over at halftime.

by the way, I bet Cousins plays well.   They will design a game plan to make Cousins look good...they will bootleg teams to death.

You could look at it like that, or, you could look at it as one final middle finger from the Shanahans as they walk away at the end of the year leaving behind the mess that's been made AND a QB controversy to boot...

First I think the idea of sitting RGIII is wrong - design better protection schemes, improve the play calling and get someone semi competent at RT.

But in response to the comment above, designing a game plan to make your QB look good is kind of what any OC should be doing. I'd hope it's what they have been trying to do for RGIII all season, though you'd have to say they have not done a very good job of that.

We are not getting a first round pick for Cousins though.

I don't understand the thoughtless logic some of you are using.

Griffin plays and gets hurt, possibly seriously against Atlanta, and every single one of you would be ripping Mike a new one about starting him. Its amazing how narrow-minded some of you are; this just might not be a F-U Snyder move, it may very well be to protect Griffin from possible injury! But being the witch hunt is on, no point in talking to walls.

Just as kleese ridiculed me on the very subject of sitting Griffin the rest of the year to 'prevent any possible injury and have him ready for next season', and his sarcastic remark towards me [ unjustified at that ] being it is a discussion forum.  There's just no way for Mike to try and do the right thing is there. Its all about Griffin, screw everyone else.

geez

Griffin plays and gets hurt, possibly seriously against Atlanta, and every single one of you would be ripping Mike a new one about starting him. Its amazing how narrow-minded some of you are; this just might not be a F-U Snyder move, it may very well be to protect Griffin from possible injury! But being the witch hunt is on, no point in talking to walls.

Just as kleese ridiculed me on the very subject of sitting Griffin the rest of the year to 'prevent any possible injury and have him ready for next season', and his sarcastic remark towards me [ unjustified at that ] being it is a discussion forum.  There's just no way for Mike to try and do the right thing is there. Its all about Griffin, screw everyone else.

geez

How does that look to the rest of the team? RG3 is above playing in meaningless games because he might get hurt but the rest of the players aren't and can risk their season and careers? 

For someone so concerned about Griffin receiving preferential treatment, Shanahan doesn't seem to mind perpetuating that notion.

I don't see how anybody could think this is in the best interest of the team.  

One of Shan's excuses for possibly sitting RGIII are the "synthetic turf" conditions in Atlanta and New Jersey.

Yet we saw our franchise QB play in a freaking blizzard yesterday.

Due to what he saw in the game against the Chiefs in those "freaking blizzard" conditions, he THEN used the excuse about synthetic field turf being a concern for Robert's safety. He didn't say he was worried about synthetic turf and THEN decide to let RG3 play in the freaking blizzard. You act like he's not allowed to be concerned for Robert's safety. Implying that the press conference he gave today "LIVE" was actually from before the Seattle game last year. But i think you still don't understand what i'm getting at … lol. 

You are telling the rest of the offense: you guys suck and can't be trusted to protect Griffin.

Look if you are healthy and the best player at your position, you should play. It's a 16-game schedule.

I'm phychic.  What can I say - Dec 6 the thread I started (was locked by mods)

"Put in Kirk for the rest of the season"

Shanny has it right.  With 3 wins at this point of the season, Griffin has played his heart out, and is getting sacked often.  Getting healthy through the off season is in the best interest of the team and Griffin.  We have a good second string QB, put him in.  I'll be rooting for the team with Griffin behind center next season.

Jeff Darlington @JeffDarlington 1h

Ponder this: Report said Shanahan wanted to quit last year but realized he couldn’t after RG3 got hurt. This year? Considering shelving RG3.

Jeff Darlington @JeffDarlington 1h

You’re naive if you think Shanahan’s mindset to shelve @RGIII for rest of year isn’t a power play that has to do with Shanahan's own future.

Jeff Darlington @JeffDarlington 16m

It is safe to assume most of what Mike Shanahan says and does is part of a greater plan. It is not safe to assume exactly what that plan is.

Archived