Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wearable Fitness Tracking

Tulane Skins Fan

I have used a nike fuel almost everyday since last Christmas. Accurate is debatable. The real benefit these things give you is a constant reminder that hey you haven't really done a lot today. Get your ass moving :)

Yup, exactly what I was saying earlier.

Cool that you can get a group of people on Fitbit at least and compete against.  My brother kicks my ass everyday.

Accuracy can vary. I know folks who've had FitBit record steps in their sleep. But any gadget that provides some motivation, that's 99% of the benefit.

But a simple daily log of diet and activity is a great way to keep with the program, especially if you share it with others. Peer pressure/social-shaming can be very powerful.  :)

You can keep the log anywhere, such as a Google Doc, or any number of running/exercise/diet websites.

I bought a Nike Fuelband February of this year and it crapped out on me mid-August during a run.  Very disappointed.  

While it was working, however, I enjoyed it simply because it was a constant reminder to me to get up and move around.  I workout 5-6 days a week, but a lot of it is weight training, which the fuelband does not track.  I basically used it to keep me moving outside of my gym time.  Many times people will workout then, thinking they've done their exercise for the day, be very sedentary.  I tend to do that, so outside gym time motivation is what I primarily used the Nike Fuelband for.

As far as accuracy of calories burned, I wouldn't rely on that.  The Fuelband calculates activity by the movement of your wrist.  So, folding laundry would net me more fuel points and calories burned than 20 minutes of a HIIT session on the stairclimber where my hands were stationary, resting on the railings.  Obviously that's completely inaccurate as my 20 minutes on the stairclimber were very high intensity maintaining an average HR of ~160.  The readings saying I burned more calories in 5 minutes of folding laundry gave me a good laugh though.

I've asked for a Fitbit Force for Christmas because I've heard good reviews.

I bought a Nike Fuelband February of this year and it crapped out on me mid-August during a run.  Very disappointed.  

While it was working, however, I enjoyed it simply because it was a constant reminder to me to get up and move around.  I workout 5-6 days a week, but a lot of it is weight training, which the fuelband does not track.  I basically used it to keep me moving outside of my gym time.  Many times people will workout then, thinking they've done their exercise for the day, be very sedentary.  I tend to do that, so outside gym time motivation is what I primarily used the Nike Fuelband for.

As far as accuracy of calories burned, I wouldn't rely on that.  The Fuelband calculates activity by the movement of your wrist.  So, folding laundry would net me more fuel points and calories burned than 20 minutes of a HIIT session on the stairclimber where my hands were stationary, resting on the railings.  Obviously that's completely inaccurate as my 20 minutes on the stairclimber were very high intensity maintaining an average HR of ~160.  The readings saying I burned more calories in 5 minutes of folding laundry gave me a good laugh though.

I've asked for a Fitbit Force for Christmas because I've heard good reviews.

ive read the same issue with the fuelband that the only thing it reads is your arm movmements. 

Ive read that the Force actually calculates  burned calories

ive read the same issue with the fuelband that the only thing it reads is your arm movmements. 

Ive read that the Force actually calculates  burned calories

Interesting, although I still wonder about the accuracy.  I would imagine it's much more accurate than the Nike Fuelband, but as a general rule of thumb, I don't rely on fitness devices that calculate calories burned when they aren't tracking the user's heart rate.  Those are the most accurate that I know of, but then you have to wear an uncomfortable chest strap. :/  I'm going to see how the Fitbit Force works; if I like it, great.  If I don't think its measurements are accurate enough I'm just going to bit the bullet and buy a full blown heart rate monitor.

I received my fitbit force yesterday. I charged it all night and set it up this morning. So far, I'm impressed. The steps are pretty accurate, not saying perfect, but close enough not to argue.  It also tracks calories burned. 

The fitbit app is nice, I had already been using myfitnesspal and the two actually work together. So when I log meals to MFP, it transfers to the fitbit app and the data is combined.  You can used the fitbit app to track meals, but I like MFP's use of the camera to scan barcodes. Much faster. 

So far, I know its only 1 day, but I definitely feel the increase in motivation by wearing the device and having my steps tracked.

I have baseball practice this afternoon, so I'll see how that translates with the calories burned etc...

The graphs and charts in the app are very good.  I can see how over time, you can see patterns etc... and make positive changes.

I've lost 85lbs since June, but have been in a bit of a rut for the past month. This was what I needed to get over the hump.

I've lost 85lbs since June, but have been in a bit of a rut for the past month. This was what I needed to get over the hump.

I just wanted to highlight this and give you a big shout out for this huge achievement.  Good job, buddy!!  

Thanks for the Fitbit Force review, I'm more excited to get mine next week now :) 

Thank you! I appreciate it.

The fitbit force actually did well, IMO during baseball practice. I'm very active during that time and it showed up. You can also manually log exercise using the fitbit app or MFP app. Both of the apps work really well together.

I think so far, this was a good buy. Definitely added some motivation today.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update... I've been wearing the Fitbit Force daily since I bought it... I honestly only take it off to shower.  I like it,it does provide me with some motivation.  I have found myself taking opportunities to walk more so I can get my step total up.  The days I work out I easily reach my goal, the other days, I have to do more to get it which is a good thing.

I don't know if this is something that would benefit everyone. I'm competitive by nature and it works with my mentality.  Since wearing it, I've lost about 8 more lbs.

Yeah, a funny thing about the tracking on the Jawbone Up that I had was the sleep tracking.

Sometimes I would wake up in the middle of the night and not remember it. Sometimes I would wake up in the middle of the night, engage in a bit of boom pow, and it would show up the next day.

The funny part was a group of people I work with all had them and could view each other's movements...

Archived