Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CSN: Niles Paul-special teams struggles are about 'effort'

RichmondRedskin88

http://www.csnwashington.com/football-washington-redskins/talk/redskins-say-special-teams-struggles-are-about-effort

“I’m extremely [peeved] off,” special teams ace Niles Paul said. “What we’re doing on special teams is unacceptable as a unit. Where we stand at in the league, it reflects [on] us as a unit: we’re terrible. It’s embarrassing to be on the field.”

“It’s almost heartbreaking,” he said. “I’m not a starter on this team. My role is largely on special teams. So I take pride in what I do on special teams. People complain and say it’s a coaching thing. But it’s not a coaching thing, it’s an effort thing. It’s for each player, each individual, 11 people out there to have to want to make a tackle, to have to want to make a play, to have to want to make a block. And that’s not happening right now. And that’s why we are terrible on special teams.”

“You got to put people who are hungry, who want to make plays, who are in a position like me and like Reed [Doughty] and [Trenton Robinson] and Josh Hull, guys who don’t really have a large role on offense or defense, so … you want to show that hunger on special teams. Because that’s what special teams is: a bunch of guys who want to prove themselves to get on the field on offense or defense. And right now you don’t have that.”

Paul added: “I think we need people to understand their role on this team. I do think there are too many guys who think they are too good for special teams. You can’t have that.”

I absolutely hate what Paul brings on kickoffs (it's not his fault he's inexplicably returning kicks, despite being slow as molasses) and his awful hands, but respect the hell out of him for his play on teams. He often looks like one of the few guys out there trying.

It seems like 70% scheme failure and 30% lack of effort, but whatever the reason no team should ever play that bad on teams in a single game. Totally unacceptable. I don't see how Burns doesn't lose his job this week if the rest of the coaches aren't canned.

Do we have the slowest players in the NFL?! If Reed Doughty makes this team next year.....I'm gonna lose it!!!

That's a good point. It DOES seem like we always have the slowest team in the NFC East. We never seem to have a guy that can burn.

Do we have the slowest players in the NFL?! If Reed Doughty makes this team next year.....I'm gonna lose it!!!

Reed Doughty isn't the ideal guy but he's been better than the alternatives.  Shanahan has tried to give the job to guys he bring in but they end up going back to Doughty.

I absolutely hate what Paul brings on kickoffs (it's not his fault he's inexplicably returning kicks, despite being slow as molasses) and his awful hands, but respect the hell out of him for his play on teams. He often looks like one of the few guys out there trying.

It seems like 70% scheme failure and 30% lack of effort, but whatever the reason no team should ever play that bad on teams in a single game. Totally unacceptable. I don't see how Burns doesn't lose his job this week if the rest of the coaches aren't canned.

I'd say it's probably closer to 50-50.  Wilcox said it on the broadcast.  No one seemed to be fighting to get off blocks.  

its funny that since ive been following the team since 2005, our best returners have been rock cartwright and brandon banks. now that is sad. i've always thought moss should have been the punt returner.

now on coverage defense, we've always been pretty good. the only thing that has really changed this year is the coach. the players look lost.

Seriously?  Doughty is usually one of the first 2 guys to the returner.

Agree. There is more to playing then pure straight line speed.  Reed does a great job on Teams putting himself in the right position.  It's like Willie Gault, the old WR for Chicago.  He could outrun anyone but Darrell Green, but he was a horrible route runner and had average hands.

Seriously?  Doughty is usually one of the first 2 guys to the returner.

What good is being the first guy to the returner if the 5th, 6th or '12th'  guy is the one making the tackle?  I like Doughty (a little) but he is a special teams captain and a starter on defense by default.  The organization is a joke and I have no idea how it will be fixed.

Archived