Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Shanahan Focused On Final Three Games

Yuck. If those stories about Shanahan Vs. Griffin are right, we have some long term problems. Mr. Snyder, like Socrates's wisemen, believed that by building a billion dollar empire meant he had the midas touch on everything. However, his tenure as owner, as we all know, has been marked by one bad decision after another. The record speaks for itself. I thought we were heading in the right direction, but it seems that Shanahan is out, and some knew patsy will be coach. One that will take orders from his QB. I'm still hopeful that Griffin is our future, but if he is at odds with his coach, then we got a long way to go. Shanahan didn't make him miss open receivers, or run when he should have thrown. I remember some of the haters complaining about the problems of running QBs, and damn if RGIII didn't get injured during his first season. I've watched a lot of Redskin football, and I know good teams can finish with bad records because of various factors. We'll just have to start over next year. Hiring and firing coaching staffs every four years gets us nowhere. Mr Snyder, I respectfully ask you to keep your hands off the franchise and just sign the checks. If I'm completely offf base then I apologize.

Skinsfanfor35, I read your post and I have been a fan going to games since 1961.  You can't believe all you read and I understand your points.  All I can say is that Snyder has stayed out of it with this regime and lets look at what has occurred since his hire.  Shanny came in stating it would take a long time as in years to turn this program around.  Why not come in with a winning attitude?  9 coaches have turned their teams around immediately in their 1st year since Shanny's hire.  They didn't make excuses but built on what worked.   The latest being Philly's coach who came from the college ranks to his 1st NFL job  and beat us twice and is in 1st place with 3 games to go.  We returned everyone except Alexander from team that was riddled with injuries and finished 10-6. We are now 3-10 and setting the all time franchise record for points allowed by a large margin.  The salary cap penalty ( caused by this regime) did not effect us from bringing these players back and fielding the same team.  This is Shanahan's players he chose and this is the result after 4 years.  In the franchise history of a 16 game schedule, Shanny owns the 9th,6th, 4th and now the 1st worst record for points allowed in Redskins history. Only 2 times have we allowed over 400 points and that was 413, and 421.  We are at 407 with 3 games to go.  This is absolutely pathetic what he has done to this Defense.  While stability is needed, this EPIC FAIL must end now....years have already been wasted with his "going to take years attitude".  4  is enough wasted years and this time, change is needed NOW!  McNabb draft picks lost, Grossman Beck as qualified starters, Landry and Rogers making pro bowl after leaving the Skins only to field the pathetic backfield we have.  Being a top 10 D 3 straight years before his hire to having us at the bottom for 4 years and setting all the bad records. Its time for another fresh start as this experiment has failed terribly.  Going backwards is not the goal.

4 years ago i stated that it was a mistake to dismantle a top 10 defense for no other reason than to implement a 3-4 defense. we did not have the players to play a 3-4 defense. and 4 years later, we still don't. kerrigan and orakpo have shown that they are not linebackers and have no business dropping back into pass coverage. they belong on the defensive line as defensive ends and nothing else. rob jackson, who played well at linebacker last year, spends most of his time on the bench because, in the 3-4 system, he plays the same position as orakpo. are you telling me that a defense as worthless as ours cant find a way to get both players on the field at the same time. apparently not. and as long as haslett is in charge, they never will. we have def backs who cant cover and cant tackle. we have a 40-year-old linebacker who should have retired a year ago and now is just taking up space on the field. we cant stop anybody. each game gets worse and worse. it is time to end this experiment in futility. get rid of haslett! and if shanahan objects, get rid of him too.

horrendous ,revolting,pathetic,,dumb stupid idiotic,rediculous lame ,just plain sorry don't know whats going to happen but hasellet and burns need to to go all the loses this year fall right on their units  they couldn't catch a cold by standing in a foot of snow with shorts on.

I think we have officially hit bottom. Blame can be spread around to every coach on this team. People blame Haslett for poor tackling but say nothing about Raheem who as a position coach is more hands on than Haslett.This sticky web of blame and fault is so convoluted that we may never know all the truth.

But one thing is for certain and that is Snyder carries the most blame. He has undermined his coach by having an open door policy to Griffen allowing him to bend his ear to his grumblings.Snyder is a type of person who probably played very little sports but always wanted to. So, the next best thing is to buy a franchise where he can rub elbows with athletes and as for Griffen, it will probably be confirmed that only Snyder wanted him, Shanahan  didn't want to give up so much in picks when so many upgrades were still needed. We all know Snyder's penchant for buying players that would make a splash and he over-rode his coach on this one. Snyder had a history of open door to players before Shanahan came here and it was supposed to have stopped, but 1 player still had access and that was rg3.

So now the rumor is that Shanahan wants out, even wanted out after the Seahawks game last year, had his office packed up and ready to go because of the Snyder-Griffen relationship. We can only guess what Snyder said to Griffen after he blew hs knee out and one can only assume that the player was more valued than the coach and maybe that got back to Shanahan, but this is speculation on my part....just trying to fill in the missing paragraph to this story. More to come, have to go back to work now.

I have been a Skins fan FOREVER,....But I'm a FOOTBALL fan as well,.....This is a Me, myself, and I problem,......."ME" is RGIII,...."MYSELF and I" is Snyder........ Shanahan has lost this team, NOT due to his abilities, but because of a QB that has been shoved in his face since day one......The facts are inevitably the facts,...WHY give up all the draft picks for a QB just to draft ANOTHER QB in the later rounds?,.....Well kiddies,...HERE'S WHY,...Shanahan IS a coach and KNOWS the game, and he KNEW that RGIII was NOT the guy.....So he brought in Cousins, who by the way can ACTUALLY play a PRO STYLE offense,.......My bet is this,...if Shanahan was REALLY running the team, he would have benched RGIII WEEKS ago,.....My hat off to you MR. Shanahan, not many men would have put up with this.....Get ready Skin nation, we are going to be the low man of the league for a LONG LONG LONG time.

How did we go from winning 7 games down the stretch last season to this? I disagree with you MarK? RG3 can play in the NFL, the issue is a defense that can't stop anybody... a OL that cannot pass block and do we even need to go into the ST's?

Ken Burns is Shanahans guy and the group stinks.

Play calling by the coaching staff has been very suspect.

I noticed before the second Eagles game that the team was lost after watching pre-game warmups and the body language of the team. They did not have the "can do attitude" that we had last year. We will never win if we keep firing and hiring coaches and no core group.

@DaveH67,.....Disagree all you want,... but don't forget that Cousins actually won some of those 7 games last year.

And I'm not blind,....If RGIII is in fact "all that" then why the college style offense?....When they played San Fran, even Jon Gruden and Mike Teriko (sp?) of Monday Night football were bringing it up......All I DO know is this,...When RGIII is in, It's "read option",...when Cousins is in, it's a QB standing tall in the pocket running a pro style offense....If ALL RGIII can do is run, then he won't last 5 years in this league....IF THAT LONG, don't forget he's on bad knees now , and the NFL has caught up with the offense.....I hear him talking ,talking, and TALKING and I have HEARD him since last summer,...he doesn't know when to shut up, he only wants to talk about himself when they win, but talks about everyone else when they lose.....He lacks maturity, and the leadership qualities that NFL QBs MUST possess in order to be successful. But, instead of LISTENING to the two time winning super bowl champion head coach he has, he wants to buck the system and he's convinced in all his TWO years as a pro , has it all figured out....And don't forget that Shanahan went to super bowls as an assistant to Bill Walsh as well in San Francisco so he DOES know what he's doing....They mortgaged this team for YEARS on nothing more than a "novelty act',.....and like, The "running QBs" will not succeed,......I remember when Randall Cunningham, Mike Vick, Donavan McNabb,...were ALL going to "change the way QB is played"......But it's always the same,...Smart decisions, Good arm, Game management, leadership, reading and reacting to defenses and taking what they give you,...Nothing changes.....

Good Morning my fellow Skins fans. Like it or not benching Griffin was the right call. Why? I'll be honest.

Griffin missed his reads, over or under threw his receivers, held the ball too long, and took too many hits.

And as time went on I believe Griffin began to worry about that knee holding up-and here is why:

The O-line is the smallest in the league and not built to hold off pass rushers for more that 5 seconds.

The offense is still the same-so defenses studied and know how to defense the read option better.

Defenses are blitzed up the middle to get to Griffin and corners jumped the routes that they studied.

If you remember Griffin told the press after losing to the Eagles: They seemed to know which plays were coming!

That falls on Kyle's head! Changing styles is what should have been done this season-now it's too late.

We're going to see more changes this off season, It is my sincere hope that they make our team better. HAIL!

Archived