Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage & Interactive Game Day Thread: 2013 Redskins vs Chiefs (Final)

NoLeafClover

ES Coverage & Interactive Game Day Thread: 2013 Redskins vs Chiefs

12/08/13

11280751906_3ed596ed1b_b.jpg

DEFEAT!!!!!!

45-10

As Tyler Durden once said, "It's only after we've lost everything that we are free to do anything."

This is clearly a lost season. The Redskins have officially been eliminated from the playoffs (not that there was much hope they'd make it in). Questions have begun to crop up about the leadership of the Shanahans and the skills of Robert Griffin III. There is finger pointing and second guessing and lots of shaking of heads from fans and local pundits. In short, most people have completely written this team off at this point in the season.

While this is obviously quite depressing, it's also sort of freeing. With the Redskins being counted out already, that means there are no real expectations for this game. There is no pressure on the team to succeed. Which means we truly get to see what they are made of. Do they just roll over and let the Chiefs steamroll them, like most people are expecting them to do? Or do they fight - for their jobs, for their pride and for their coaches?

I think we are truly going to see what this team is made of this week. These players keep talking about how they are fighters and how they are all in it together, so I feel like this week is an opportunity to prove that. Can they still fight with nothing tangible on the line? Do they still believe in the coach and the system enough to treat this like a meaningful game of football?

They've hit bottom this season. They are free to do anything. I'm interested to see how they handle it.

Inactives

Washington Redskins:

- No. 8 QB Rex Grossman
- No. 25 CB Chase Minnifield
- No. 31 S Brandon Meriweather
- No. 36 FB Darrel Young
- No. 51 LB Brandon Jenkins
- No. 67 G Josh LeRibeus
- No. 86 TE Jordan Reed

Kansas City Chiefs:

- No. 9 QB Tyler Bray
- No. 50 LB Justin Houston
- No. 64 C Eric Kush
- No. 75 G Rishaw Johnson
- No. 76 T Branden Albert
- No. 80 TE Anthony Fasano
- No. 96 DT Jaye Howard

12:49 PM - I am looking into hiring a Sherpa to help get me out of the stadium later.

1:02 PM - Plenty of good seats still available.

1:08 PM - So the Redskins defer and the Chiefs march down the field with authority, mostly relying on Jamaal Charles to move the ball. The stall out at the end and settle for a 33-yard field goal. 8 plays, 52 yards, three minutes and 32 seconds. 0-3

1:16 PM - Rocca punts the ball 33-yards, then it's returned 57-yards. Chiefs are in the red zone. I pity everyone in the stands right now.

1:21 PM - Unsurprisingly, the Chiefs are able to punch it in from their starting position at the 13-yard line. Also unsurprisingly, it's Jamaal Charles who gets the touchdown. 5 plays, 13 yards, two minutes and 54 seconds. 0-10

1:30 PM - One silver lining today: Alfred Morris just became the first running back since Clinton Portis in 2007-2008 to have back-to-back 1,000-yard rushing seasons.

1:31 PM - And just as I finish writing that "silver lining" nugget, RGIII throws a pick.

1:34 PM - It's officially getting ugly (and I don't mean the weather). Three plays, 25 yards, one minute and 25 seconds. 0-17

END OF FIRST QUARTER

0-17

1:47 PM - Thanks to the teams switching sides for the second quarter, I might actually get to see a touchdown in the end zone closest to me today.

1:51 PM - Alex Smith connects on a five-yard touchdown pass to Jamaal Charles. At least I saw someone score in the end zone closest to me. Five plays, 41 yards, two minutes and 25 seconds. 0-24

2:03 PM - So the officials overturn a RGIII fumble for a touchdown, only to have the Redskins punt it and give up a 74-yard punt return for a touchdown. Fantastic. 0-31

2:04 PM - Are people in the press box allowed to leave the game early? I'm asking for a friend.

2:24 PM - The was a heck of a catch by Logan Paulsen to keep the offense from being shutout. Crazy how success works - the defense finally forces a punt and the offense follows it up with their first competent drive of the game. Seven plays, 80 yards, two minutes and 42 seconds. 7-31

2:28 PM - 95-yard kickoff return for a touchdown? Of course! 7-38

2:35 PM - They make it a little less embarrassing with a 50-yard Kai Forbath field goal to end the half. Seven plays, 20 yards, 53 seconds. 10-38

HALFTIME

10-38

2:50 PM - On the bright side, I don't think RGIII's dad will want to be anywhere near the locker room when this game is over.

3:13 PM - The Chiefs miss a field goal. I can't shake the feeling that maybe they missed it on purpose out of pity.

END OF THE THIRD QUARTER

10-38

3:24 PM - Kirk Cousins is warming up on the sideline.

3:27 PM - The Chiefs increase their lead. Six plays, 80 yards, three minutes and 16 seconds. 10-44

3:30 PM - Kirk Cousins checks in at quarterback.

3:41 PM - Perry Riley with an interception!

3:48 PM - Logan Paulsen coughs up the ball after a completion because, of course.

3:53 PM - Number of fans left in the stands: 32.

3:58 PM - Heading down to the locker room now. I want a good seat for the Shanahan press conference.

Audio

To hear audio from Mike Shanahan, click here:

https://soundcloud.com/extremeskins/shanahan-wma?in=extremeskins/sets/week-14-redskins-vs-chiefs

To hear audio from Kirk Cousins, click here:

https://soundcloud.com/extremeskins/cousins-wma?in=extremeskins/sets/week-14-redskins-vs-chiefs

To hear audio from Ryan Kerrigan, click here:

https://soundcloud.com/extremeskins/kerrigan-wma?in=extremeskins/sets/week-14-redskins-vs-chiefs

To hear audio from Santana Moss, click here:

https://soundcloud.com/extremeskins/moss-wma?in=extremeskins/sets/week-14-redskins-vs-chiefs

To hear audio from Brian Orakpo, click here:

https://soundcloud.com/extremeskins/orakpo-wma?in=extremeskins/sets/week-14-redskins-vs-chiefs

Photos

For photos, click here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/extremeskins/

My Take

Does anyone actually want to talk about this game?

Do we want to dwell on the 45-10 thumping the Redskins took at home? The 151 yards and a touchdown the defense allowed Jamaal Charles to gain? The absolutely abysmal play of the special teams? The 12 completions on 26 attempts for 164 yards, with one touchdown and one interception, for a 63.6 passer rating Robert Griffin III put up before being benched for Kirk Cousins in the final quarter? The 12 carries for 31 yards that Alfred Morris put up today?

Is there really any point?

It was an unwatchable game played in front of a mostly-empty stadium in horrible weather. The Redskins looked like they didn't want to be there. The Chiefs seemed like they felt bad by the end of the game. They weren't even trying to get first downs in the final minutes of the fourth quarter. Andy Reid was defending Mike Shanahan's legacy in his post-game comments.

It was a train wreck from top to bottom. No need to discuss it. It's best to just try to forget it all together.

Besides, the game itself has been completely overshadowed by the larger questions. Those questions started with a bizarrely-timed ESPN story this morning that claimed Mike Shanahan had packed his office up and planned to quit at the end of last season because of Dan Snyder's overly-close relationship with RGIII. That storyline lingered over the entire day's proceedings, culminated with a tense post-game press conference where Shanahan dodged the question. That was followed by a press conference with RGIII, who seemed to hinting at larger problems while holding back from saying too much.

The entire situation is a mess. We went from wondering if Shanahan would be back next year to wondering if he will be the coach next Sunday. His tenure seems to be coming to an end. The only question left is when the hammer will drop.

Which puts us back where this franchise always seems to be - in a rebuilding phase. It's a depressing state for a beleaguered franchise.

I suggest we all go drink. Drink to forget this terrible game.

Very upset my brother bailed on me at the last second, as he was supposed to drive and I've already been drinking.  So I will be enjoying the game with my other brothers on ES today.

Anyone who is up there right now, is the weather bad?  It stopped snowing here about an hour ago.

This could get ugly early.  We are so Jeykll and Hyde though, you never know.

Eternally optimistic, let it snow, let us not blow, put on an offensive show...

Skins, 12-5.

The safety of course is Nelson snapping the ball over Rocca's head, compensating for last weeks dribbler.

December 8, 2013

ANNOUNCEMENT OF INACTIVES

LANDOVER, Md. – The teams have announced the following inactives and lineup changes for today’s game between the Washington Redskins and Kansas City Chiefs:

For the Washington Redskins:

- No. 8 QB Rex Grossman

- No. 25 CB Chase Minnifield

- No. 31 S Brandon Meriweather

- No. 36 FB Darrel Young

- No. 51 LB Brandon Jenkins

- No. 67 G Josh LeRibeus

- No. 86 TE Jordan Reed

No. 24 Bacarri Rambo is expected to start in place of Meriweather at free safety.

No. 84 Niles Paul is expected to start in place of Young at fullback.

For the Kansas City Chiefs:

- No. 9 QB Tyler Bray

- No. 50 LB Justin Houston

- No. 64 C Eric Kush

- No. 75 G Rishaw Johnson

- No. 76 T Branden Albert

- No. 80 TE Anthony Fasano

- No. 96 DT Jaye Howard

No. 79 Donald Stephenson is expected to start in place of Albert at left tackle.

No. 74 Geoff Schwartz is expected to start in place of No. 73 Jon Asamoah at right guard.

No. 84 Sean McGrath is expected to start in place of Fasano at tight end.

No. 51 Frank Zombo is expected to start in place of Houston at left outside linebacker.

On Saturday, the Chiefs released No. 14 WR Chad Hall. The team also promoted No. 46 TE Dominique Jones from its practice squad. Jones (6-3, 270) is a 26-year-old Shepherd University product in his second NFL season.

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I kind of don't even want to watch. In years past, I'd stick with the Redskins despite horrible seasons. There's no other way I would have seen the swinging gate. But this year's team seems different. There's something very off-putting about the effort they give. It really makes me more upset than normal.

Still looking at a toss-up between Redskins/Chiefs, Lions/Eagles, or Colts/Bengals.

The snow might make me stick with my Skins. I love crappy weather games.

Also, I've watched pretty much every Redskins game for 30 years--- and I can't recall one home game played in the snow. Maybe some flurries and certainly some cold, rainy, muddy games--/ but not actively snowing. That Giants game in 1982 where Mosely kicked the FGs was more of just a muddy cold mix.

Also, I've watched pretty much every Redskins game for 30 years--- and I can't recall one home game played in the snow. Maybe some flurries and certainly some cold, rainy, muddy games--/ but not actively snowing. That Giants game in 1982 where Mosely kicked the FGs was more of just a muddy cold mix.

The '03 home game vs Dallas started with snow, but progressively became rain and mud by the 2nd half

Archived