Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Chris Cooley weighs in on both Shanahans

VeroViper

Makes sense. People criticize kyle for things like the giants second half. "Giants made adjustments and shut him down!" Their adjustment was moving tuck inside and gunning for rg3 and suddenly our interior becomes a turnstile. Morris wasn't going anywhere and rg3 now had no time to throw.

How is kyle supposed to hide a horrible line? Have 3 rbs in the backfield to pass protect? It's one thing to hide one or two offensive linemen, but 4? C'mon man.

In a perfect world, Mike would go to Houston, trade for Cousins (to give his ego a boost so he could say that was my guy) and we stick with Kyle.  Not sure what the HC is looking like but I just want Mike out of here.  Team doesn't have respect for him anymore and he looks completely lost on the sidelines.  Time to move on.

Cooley is right.  The Redskins have failed to execute the plays Kyle calls.  But it's not just a case of them screwing up occasionally and it costing them.  Plays like the bubble screen have not worked for the Skins.  A good OC would then remove that play from this groups playbook.  To me that's wasting a down repeatedly during a season.  It's dumber than ZOrn's call against the Bengals when he called the same goal line play multiple times because at least that was only one game.

Kyle's constantly banging his head against the same wall, but he's apparently surprised it hurts each time

The last time Cooley was in this locker room, it was a cohesive unit making a miracle run into the playoffs and everything was mostly going swimmingly until the RG3 injury fiasco.

I don't care how many friends he still has in the locker room on a personal level, he's the media now. He doesn't have the same free access to frank player opinions as he once did, and every day that passes, his personal experience grows further from what's happening in the here and now.

He's been great in his new capacity. But no, I don't think he has the pulse of the locker room as solidly as this would have you believe.

Good read.  However, Shanny is responsible for what the team does or does not do. If the play calling is good and the team is not executing, what does that say about the quality of practice? If ability and skill are not there, then perhaps plays need to be pared down or designed to fit the team's capabilities.  If the play calling is good and discipline is poor (penalties) then that too is the coach's responsibility. Finally, a HC should ensure that in-game adjustments are made if the play calling is not effective. Other teams have demonstrated that they can adjust to us. Play calling and coaching are two different animals. However, the HC is responsible for both.

I listen to Cooley's show almost everyday. This interview does not accurately convey Cooley's thoughts.

In fact I think Cooley struggles with his opinions because of his relationship with Mike and especially Kyle.

I've heard and posted some of Cooley's criticisms of the offensive gameplan e.g: need to get away from read option, treatment/use of Fred Davis, failure of our staple 2-man route read-option play action, lack of easy throws in tradition WCO passing concepts like 2 TE passing sets etc., lack of verticals concept/plays in the passing game, lack of a more developed screen game.

These are some of Chris's statements I recall from the top of my head.

Maybe Cooley does want them back, I kinda want them back too. I believe in continuity and they aren't doing a 'bad' job per se but they arent anywhere close to being as good as they could/should be. And Cooley statements throughout the past few weeks reflect that.

-----------------Part of a coaches responsibility is to find plays the offense CAN execute against the defense they face. Sometimes executions fails BECAUSE the defense is better prepared/has an answer for the concept/scheme for the offenses play call.

Say you don't fire Mike or Kyle, When is enough, enough? Since they're arrival it hasn't looked much different then the last 20 years. Sporadic play-off appearances & a whole lot of losing. Sure...we have top players & Cooley claims they've "bought in" to what Mike & Co. are selling but things aren't getting any better. Our D has been a laughing stock since we installed the 3-4 & It's only getting worse.

I don't have any brilliant solutions, I'm just a fan that's frustrated, people can understand that I think. I have seen what we COULD be but the actions on the field don't reflect that. Of course a lot has to do with the players executing the plays properly, but you don't last long in the NFL screwing up so maybe that has something to do with the plays that are being called. Or the coaching itself. I'm willing to see what Mike does in year 5 of his contract but SOME actions need to be taken. No one player is bigger than the team & that's true to be said about the coaching staff as well. 

HTTR!!! 

Say you don't fire Mike or Kyle, When is enough, enough? Since they're arrival it hasn't looked much different then the last 20 years. Sporadic play-off appearances & a whole lot of losing. Sure...we have top players & Cooley claims they've "bought in" to what Mike & Co. are selling but things aren't getting any better. Our D has been a laughing stock since we installed the 3-4 & It's only getting worse.

I don't have any brilliant solutions, I'm just a fan that's frustrated, people can understand that I think. I have seen what we COULD be but the actions on the field don't reflect that. Of course a lot has to do with the players executing the plays properly, but you don't last long in the NFL screwing up so maybe that has something to do with the plays that are being called. Or the coaching itself. I'm willing to see what Mike does in year 5 of his contract but SOME actions need to be taken. No one player is bigger than the team & that's true to be said about the coaching staff as well. 

HTTR!!! 

Hail canada good to see you - I understand the frustration, but I happen to agree with cooley on the Off. A very good example was against denver. They had just scored to make it 21-14 us, he calls a slant to Garcon. RGIII throws it 4 feet behind him. How about last week. We were doing well and Tuck starts owning Polumbus. We tried to make some adjustments but he just made plays. How is that the play callers responsibility? Guys need to do thier jobs!! 

We still have the #1 rushing attack in the NFL and 7th overall!!!!  And that's with RGIII playing so up and down he makes you sea sick! How is that the coordinators fault? Also, look at the Houston message board. The large % of posts are screaming for Kyle to at least be their OC if not their HC. I have been critical of him myself. But when you look at the bigger picture, it's been much more about execution than play calling when we have failed.

Our problem has been D all year. Yes they have had stretches where they play well, but overall they stink as bad as anyone. Also, STs is doing nothing to help us. How many 14 pt leads have we given up. Add that to how many times we were 14 or more pts down early in the 1st period and it's a problem.

Cooley is right.  The Redskins have failed to execute the plays Kyle calls.  But it's not just a case of them screwing up occasionally and it costing them.  Plays like the bubble screen have not worked for the Skins.  A good OC would then remove that play from this groups playbook.  To me that's wasting a down repeatedly during a season.  It's dumber than ZOrn's call against the Bengals when he called the same goal line play multiple times because at least that was only one game.

Kyle's constantly banging his head against the same wall, but he's apparently surprised it hurts each time

You have no idea what he might be setting the D up for. Sometimes you call plays to show them a look to set them up for a bigger play. Also, if a play doesn't work once or even a few times, you don't just throw it out of the play book. Plays work sometimes don;t work others. You need have confidence in the guys to execute.

We have the #1 Rushing attack and the #7 off overall with a very unstable RGIII. Not sure how this is about offensive play calling.

Hail canada good to see you    

But when you look at the bigger picture, it's been much more about execution than play calling when we have failed.

Hail Goskins10, good to see you as well.

If it is all about execution then isn't it up to the coaches to correct it? If it is, then they're doing a piss poor job at it aren't they? It's good to be in the top ten of this category or top 5 in that one, but stats don't mean much if the most important stat of all says we're bums that are losing in more creative ways each week. 

HTTR!!!

Team doesn't have respect for him anymore and he looks completely lost on the sidelines. 

And you know this how? Please provide data and facts. The fact is unless you are one of the players (if so why are you in here when you should be getting ready for a game), you have no idea what you are talking about. You definitely have less of an idea than a guy who just last year was a member of the team, a real member not just a angry fan taking pot shots. He also has a great deal of access due to being media and his personal friendship with Dan Snyder.

What are your credentials? If you have some then great, please share and that will provide tremendous credibility to your post. It will also beg the same question asked if you are a player, why are you in here??  If not, please don't make straw-man statements with no data to support them that amount to nothing more than pot shots.

Hail Goskins10, good to see you as well.

If it is all about execution then isn't it up to the coaches to correct it? If it is, then they're doing a piss poor job at it aren't they? It's good to be in the top ten of this category or top 5 in that one, but stats don't mean much if the most important stat of all says we're bums that are losing in more creative ways each week. 

HTTR!!!

Coaches can only do so much. These  guys get paid a lot of money. Ared they not to be held accountable at all every time something doesn't work right?

Sorry, I just can't see blaming an Off that is top 10 when there is a 31st ranked D and the worst STs I think I have ever seen. This is Mike's fault. I can see wanting him gone. But can you really blame Kyle?

Hail canada good to see you - I understand the frustration, but I happen to agree with cooley on the Off. A very good example was against denver. They had just scored to make it 21-14 us, he calls a slant to Garcon. RGIII throws it 4 feet behind him. How about last week. We were doing well and Tuck starts owning Polumbus. We tried to make some adjustments but he just made plays. How is that the play callers responsibility? Guys need to do thier jobs!!

We still have the #1 rushing attack in the NFL and 7th overall!!!! And that's with RGIII playing so up and down he makes you sea sick! How is that the coordinators fault? Also, look at the Houston message board. The large % of posts are screaming for Kyle to at least be their OC if not their HC. I have been critical of him myself. But when you look at the bigger picture, it's been much more about execution than play calling when we have failed.

Our problem has been D all year. Yes they have had stretches where they play well, but overall they stink as bad as anyone. Also, STs is doing nothing to help us. How many 14 pt leads have we given up. Add that to how many times we were 14 or more pts down early in the 1st period and it's a problem.

You have no idea what he might be setting the D up for. Sometimes you call plays to show them a look to set them up for a bigger play. Also, if a play doesn't work once or even a few times, you don't just throw it out of the play book. Plays work sometimes don;t work others. You need have confidence in the guys to execute.

We have the #1 Rushing attack and the #7 off overall with a very unstable RGIII. Not sure how this is about offensive play calling.

Again, crap.

We have been shut out for entire halves in five games off the top of my head.

That's garbage. The d is bad but the offense is bad all by itself.

If our D gives up 1 less TD per game, we win 4 and tie one more game.  Given that Detroit game was in DC, I'll homer for that win, so we're 8-4.  That's just give up 1 less TD, not hold the other team to 1 TD (like for too much of the 2000s).  So somehow my post about our O having to overcome two Ds is garbage? 

Very good read and reinforces my opinion on Kyle. I like him and his offense quite a bit.

I like him and his offense just fine, but the timing of some of the aspects are peculiar to me. The absence of running Morris at times, the sudden overuse of parts like Reed, running Helu or Young, the WR screen all but absent and then overused in one game only to disappear entirely again. I think he was out of sync this year, but then so was the entire team. 

As I have stated before, I am all in favor of keeping the Shannies, the 3-4, but not the DC. 

If only we could do a basic staple of top ranked rush team and gain a yard on short yardage downs .....

Hail. 

so true, but I think that has more to do with the line then the backs. 

If only we could do a basic staple of top ranked rush team and gain a yard on short yardage downs .....

Hail. 

We are low at 6 of 14 attempts (3rd or 4th with 1 or 2 yds to gain). However, with such a  small sample size, just 2 more completion puts us at the league average. So we lost the ball 2 more times over 12 games than the average NFL team. Not sure that constitutes a huge problem.

If our D gives up 1 less TD per game, we win 4 and tie one more game.  Given that Detroit game was in DC, I'll homer for that win, so we're 8-4.  That's just give up 1 less TD, not hold the other team to 1 TD (like for too much of the 2000s).  So somehow my post about our O having to overcome two Ds is garbage? 

yes it is. how about this- "if our offense scores one more TD a game, we are 8-4". see what i did there?

look at our games. we were shut out the entire first half of our first 2 games. we scored 2 FGs vs detroit in the second half of that game. and the defense accounted for 7 of our 20 points,

we had one scoring drive of more than 19 yards vs Denver. other than that, we sucked.

we were shut out over the final 25 minutes vs minny, who is the worst scoring D in football. 

we were just shut out for 3 quarters vs the giants. 

we were shut out for 3 quarters vs philly the second time we played them. 

we scored one TD vs a historically bad dallas team.

our offense has played almost its entire schedule vs the worst defenses in football- minus san fran- yet we are 19th in total scoring, and that total accounts for our 5 defensive TDs which are among the most in the league.

keep thinking we are good cuz we can rack up yards. and keep thinking we'd be good if our D was better. we arent. our offense and defense both are bad. 

We are low at 6 of 14 attempts (3rd or 4th with 1 or 2 yds to gain). However, with such a  small sample size, just 2 more completion puts us at the league average. So we lost the ball 2 more times over 12 games than the average NFL team. Not sure that constitutes a huge problem.

You know I'm really not interested if we're above the league average, let alone within 2 of it. That's a piss poor record regardless to OUR detriment and it's made even worse by an OC that oft chooses to go away from his stellar back in those situations to either Helu or last week Evan fricking Royster who'd not so much as seen the field all year. 

The overall offensive rank/ run rank are a wholly misleading stat aside from the key components that this O continually falls short on. 

Hail. 

Again, crap.

We have been shut out for entire halves in five games off the top of my head.

Hmmm... Insightful response. Let's start with where did I say it was perfect? No where. I also pointed out that RGIII was playing poorly. My point was the problems we do have on Off are not as much from play calling as from execution. I will help your reading comprehension - That implies there are still some problems - In the end though, Off is not our main issue. We have the 31st ranked D and the worst STs that I have seen in my 45+ yrs of watching football. You can ignore stats and data, but that does not make them inaccurate. 

The facts are if on average the D allows just 7 pts less a game putting them at average, we are at least 7-5 and in the hunt. If that happened then we could talk about the games the Off was blanked in the 1st or/and 2nd half. Until then, it's the D and STs that need fixed.

I would advise anyone running with this to sit and listen to today's radio broadcast. 

If it's like any other time this year that I've synched up the TV and radio, then Cooley's talking two ways as he's been nothing but uber critical of the calling of games

VERY mixed messages from 47 here. 

Hail. 

The radio show Cooley airs on. Is it owned by Mr. Snyder?

Archived