Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP:ALEC Stands Its Ground

Butters

http://m.washingtonpost.com/opinions/dana-milbank-alec-stands-its-ground/2013/12/04/ad593320-5d2c-11e3-bc56-c6ca94801fac_story.html

"Among the ALEC documents obtained by the Guardian: a draft loyalty oath for legislators who serve as the group’s state chairs, declaring that “I will act with care and loyalty and put the interests of the organization first.”

So who are the major players in this group you ask?

"ALEC has been a major force behind the conservative swing in state capitals, and it claims 82 alumni in the House —including Speaker John Boehner (Ohio) and Majority Leader Eric Cantor (Va.) —and 11 in the Senate. Its advisory council includes Exxon Mobil, Pfizer, Diageo, AT&T, Peabody Energy, Koch Industries and UPS, and exhibitors at its conference this week include the Charles Koch Institute, the Family Research Council and the Heritage Foundation. Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Tex.) and Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) are addressing the conference."

Boehner and Cantor pledge their loyalty to ALEC first andu foremost. Think about that...

The modern GOP has gotten so brazen they just sell themselves in an almost open forum. Seriously, how dumb is the GOP base to think that their Reps actually represent them?

But....but...but...Georgr Soros....

Anyway, Milbank's article is worth a click.

The effect of ALEC is obvious. It is easy to connect the dots. For example, Paul Ryan's wife is a lobbyist for UPS. Ryan and Issa are responsible for pushing leglislation to bankrupt the USPS with the obvious goal of bankrupting our postal service so a private corp can usurp the publics assetts for pennies on the dollar.

Modern day GOP=Clown Shoes

I generally view the GOP platform as an alliance based on incentives and shared interests, but it is interesting to see some organizing force behind at least some of it.

Oh well. It's not like this makes it any more of a travesty, but I suppose it does create great headlines.

Haven't even clicked the link, just read the OP.

But pointing out the way we leap from "we've obtained a DRAFT loyalty oath, for the group's state chairmen", to "Boehner and Cantor pledge".

You actually think they're not on board? Not exactly a huge leap. Think about their actions as of late.

Don't take my word for it. I'm grounded.

ALEC is sort of almost a dating service between politicians at the state level, local elected politicians, and many of America's biggest companies. It brings them together much as a dating service would do. It sits them in rooms behind closed doors where three times a year they come together to think about what should be the next wave of state-based legislation and they have presentations from the companies that say what they would like to see done legislatively in states right across America. Then they have a vote and the legislators begin. Hundreds of state legislators across America belong to ALEC and come to these meetings.

They begin to have a vote on what they'd like to do in the next state assembly session. And after the legislators have voted the companies get to vote and essentially they have a veto. If they don't vote by at least 50 percent to approve a piece of legislation going forward, it doesn't happen. If they think they do approve of it, it goes ahead and becomes a model bill, which is like a blueprint for a piece of legislation that ALEC wants to see spread across America.

http://www.npr.org/2013/12/10/249956329/how-alec-serves-as-a-dating-service-for-politicians-and-corporations

Archived