Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

businessinsider: Nelson Mandela Dead: Former South African President Has Died At 95

BRAVEONAWARPATH

http://www.businessinsider.com/nelson-mandela-dead-south-african-former-president-dies-2013-6

Nelson Mandela has died today at the age of 95, according to South African President Jacob Zuma. His death marks the final chapter in a life that changed South Africa forever.

The former South African president had been suffering from a recurring lung infection, and the Daily Telegraph reports that his friends and family had gathered at his bed today. Zuma announced his death in a televised address to the nation.

"Our nation has lost its greatest son, yet what made Nelson Mandela great was precisely what made him human," Zuma said. "We saw in him what we seek in ourselves, and in him we saw so much of ourselves."

Mandela's struggle was one of the defining stories of the 20th century. Trained as a lawyer, he became involved in politics after 1948 as South Africa moved into a system of racial apartheid. While initially espousing non-violent protests with the African National Congress (ANC), he eventually founded a militant organization and was behind a bombing campaign in the early 1960s. He was arrested and sentenced to life in prison in 1962.

Hopefully they honor his memory in South Africa and get their **** together. RIP to one of the greats

Recently saw a movie about him and the last white South African president. Can't remember the title but really recommend it

This?

MV5BMTQ5MTc5MDgxOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDQx

Never saw it, but heard about it.  He also made some brief appearances (portrayed by Morgan Freeman) in Invictus, the movie about the SAfrican rugby team with Matt Damon

One of the greatest human beings through my lifetime. Sad, sad loss not just to South Africa, but the World. I can't think of another single person through my life who changed a Nation and it's people to such an extent as this extraordinary man. South Africa was the most racially divided Nation on this planet through the disgraceful 26 years he and his co ANC members spent in prison on Robin Island away from the Worlds eye. He leaves it as unified as it's ever been. 

God rest Sir. 

Fantastic piece on his life's legacy that encapsulates the humble genius of this great man: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/nelson-mandela-life-story-the-magicians-legacy-8406445.html

Hail. 

A great man of remarkable restraint and forgiveness.  

If you value your psyche, don't go to Free Republic or any other ultra conservative site right now.  The hatred and racism fountain is exploding.

Children at play really.  Mandela was not perfect but his accomplishments dwarf his mistakes.

If anything, Yahoo News is even worse.    The racists are really getting their freak on lately.

You weren't kidding. Wish I had taken your advice.

Saw this comment on Yahoo:

I'm not sure why whites aren't allowed to have a country that doesn't have to be shared with everyone else. Blacks have tons of countries that are just black, but whites have almost none. Almost every white country is now multiracial. Apartheid was about whites having self-determination. They wanted a society that was for them and their children. Why is that so terrible? What other people in the world sets up a society and shares it with everyone else? You won't find that among any African or Asian peoples. Only modern whites share their countries with everyone. If the blacks in SA didn't like Apartheid, they could have just set up shop in another location. Africa is huge. Since Mandela came to power, thousands of innocent whites have been murdered by blacks, and he advocated it. Any white person who celebrates the life of Mandela is sick in the head. You're a traitor to yourself, and you're an anti-white racist.

While here in the U.S. we love MLK, I remember seeing a story this past MLK day about his approval ratings being in the low 30's while he was alive.  What does it say about Mandela that he could so change a country even more racially divided than we were and remain beloved.  I am in awe and wish I had a third his gravitas.  Heck, I wish we all could have the sense of self he portrayed and evoked from within us.

While here in the U.S. we love MLK, I remember seeing a story this past MLK day about his approval ratings being in the low 30's while he was alive.  What does it say about Mandela that he could so change a country even more racially divided than we were and remain beloved.  I am in awe and wish I had a third his gravitas.  Heck, I wish we all could have the sense of self he portrayed and evoked from within us.

To be fair though, MLK also never founded a military wing that ended up killing innocent people.

Archived