Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does Shanahans refusal to play younger players equate to ineptitude

Tatankgough

I think Shanahan is bascially telling us Gettis, Lereibus, and Compton aren't the future.  They didn't have to come outta the gate ready for prime time, young players get time to develop.  However, if they can't really challenge the tree stumps he's rolling out there every week, that's not good.  The best players are supposed to play and 4 of our OL are simply terrible.  Those young guys should be pushing for spots and they aren't.  

He's basically got Trent Williams as the only drafted OL that's proven to be competent.  And he's drafted more OL than any other position.

I'm not sure if it is going to hold true in American Football but certainly in soccer you get a lot of players who apparently do squat in practice but come alive on game day. If we refuse to play people because they don't practice well (whatever that means) how will we find those players that the adrenalin or crowd noise, or will to win, transforms them into superstars on a Sunday?

I'm not sure if it is going to hold true in American Football but certainly in soccer you get a lot of players who apparently do squat in practice but come alive on game day. If we refuse to play people because they don't practice well (whatever that means) how will we find those players that the adrenalin or crowd noise, or will to win, transforms them into superstars on a Sunday?

I guess one difference is that in soccer you can replace a goalie or defender (for example) without putting your highly paid franchise forward at risk of getting clobbered.  Even if one of the Skin's reserve OL was decent, which I highly doubt, the chance of someone having a clear shot at the QB is going to be greatly increased because of missed assignments.  Things could be worse than they are now.

If people fault DS for letting RG3 get hurt in a playoff game, I wonder what the reaction would be to RG3 (or Cousins) getting hurt because DS played someone with zero experience in a game that had no meaning to the Skins.

As for most of the other positions, the WRs, TEs, RBs and defensive players almost all get time on the field, with the exception of Minnifield, who was just brought up.  I'm all for increasing the number of plays they get, but I don't see it as really providing any meaningful information.  Outside of ES, the season has been over since the Cowboys loss. 

I think Shanahan is bascially telling us Gettis, Lereibus, and Compton aren't the future.  They didn't have to come outta the gate ready for prime time, young players get time to develop.  However, if they can't really challenge the tree stumps he's rolling out there every week, that's not good.  The best players are supposed to play and 4 of our OL are simply terrible.  Those young guys should be pushing for spots and they aren't.  

He's basically got Trent Williams as the only drafted OL that's proven to be competent.  And he's drafted more OL than any other position.

This is what I'm getting from it. Lets not act like they're first rounders. The highest is a third rounder and the rest are low picks and UDFAs. So the fact that we get man-crushes on them doesn't mean much. This is why I really think the cap penalty may have hurt us because we were unable to upgrade our OL with quality talent and its showing now. If I'm right, I think we'll attack that area hard in FA. Thing is, we know Shanny likes a certain type of linemen and I'm not sure how flexible he is (didn't Gibbs change once he realized that his way wouldn't work? Maybe Shanny will too), but if he's still here and has a chance to sign some good guys to reasonable contracts like we did before the 2011 season with the DL then I think that's a go.

If he benches a couple of underperforming vets on a 3-9 team and looks to the future, he'll lose contol of the team, is basically what he said. I'm just not sure if that's a comment on his inability to command a locker room or abiut the character of the guys he's brought in? Or both?

This. I would like to see the young OL guys get some reps for the future but if they are not up to the task then he is right not to start/play them. But if that is the case he should say that, and that alone. "No one has beat out the starters". I took what he said as meaning he wasn't going to try to move anyone around because of fear of "losing" guys in the locker room. If his decision to not play the young guys is based on that logic then it is flawed. I hope most of those veteran OL guys he is worried about are not here next year anyway.

This is what I'm getting from it. Lets not act like they're first rounders. The highest is a third rounder and the rest are low picks and UDFAs. So the fact that we get man-crushes on them doesn't mean much. This is why I really think the cap penalty may have hurt us because we were unable to upgrade our OL with quality talent and its showing now. If I'm right, I think we'll attack that area hard in FA. Thing is, we know Shanny likes a certain type of linemen and I'm not sure how flexible he is (didn't Gibbs change once he realized that his way wouldn't work? Maybe Shanny will too), but if he's still here and has a chance to sign some good guys to reasonable contracts like we did before the 2011 season with the DL then I think that's a go.

I believe the technical term for this affliction is "grasping at straws".  I pretty much gave up when people started posting that we didn't need to sign Hall to a new contract because we had good talent on the practice squad.  Holy crap - we have pro-bowl quality CB talent on our practice squad where another team could pick them off?

I'm not totally in DS's corner, but I do have complete faith that he would have played anyone who had a chance of improving the team weeks ago.

And there blunders in elk again refusing to admit what's before his very eyes each and every Sunday.

And if the players behind are worse than those that continue to disgrace you, I and every other Redskin fan game in, game out; then you're ironically making a STRONG case against him being fired if that's the sum total of 4 years worth of rebuilding.

Hail.

*Edit* Word to the (un) wise. Neither I, Rufus, nor anyone else have to 'disprove' anything you write if we chose not to have the inclination to do so. Nor do you anyone else. This is fans chewing the crud on our team. Not politics or some ****.

The OP is as valid and pertinent as ANY rebuttal you seem to think quashes it you've made to press.

OK. So your argument is that you don't need to have a real argument. Thanks for the tip. In that case, I'll ignore everything you say.

I believe the technical term for this affliction is "grasping at straws".  I pretty much gave up when people started posting that we didn't need to sign Hall to a new contract because we had good talent on the practice squad.  Holy crap - we have pro-bowl quality CB talent on our practice squad where another team could pick them off?

I'm not totally in DS's corner, but I do have complete faith that he would have played anyone who had a chance of improving the team weeks ago.

Yeah, I was in love with Chase in the past two offseasons, but the fact taht he's sat on our PS all year kinda tells me something. Even seeing him in preseason I was excited but guarded cause he was beat.

I think there are a few issues at play (especially with our OL).

1) I think our line is generally a bad line.

2) I think we're pretty good at run blocking.

3) I think the Zone Read system we ran last year (more than simply RG3's play) hid a lot of the problems we had on the DL.

4) I think the Zone Read system also hindered RG3's development as a typical pocket passer.

5) I think RG3, Shanny I and Shanny II all realize that the Zone Read system is a cool offense to turn to every once in a while but to win consistently we need to develop RG3's abilities as a pocket passer.

6) I think the cap penalty limited (eliminated) our options as far as upgrading the offensive line this past offseason when we really noticed the areas we needed help.

7) I think that unlike certain positions (RB), OL is not a strong point for Shanny, Allen, and our scouts as far as the draft is concerned. I think we're batting 1 for like 6 right now with that 1 being Trent Williams, which makes us more reliant on fee agency or just getting lucky in the draft. 

I love how supposing that the players he has been drafting and developing are so god awful that putting them on the field will get someone killed equals a defense of Shanahan.

-Preaches competition

-Player under performs on the field

-Player goes out and starts the following week

Regardless of whether or not that is the best player during practice or even the best player during the game, that player needs to be sat down because their record is 3-9 with that player.

I would doubt we are sacrificing development of the scheme, the offense/defense, and other players if we replace a linemen or two who are continually in the backfield.

GHH, we all see what's before our very eyes every Sunday.  Lately, most of us, like myself who has defended Shannahan (to be clear, only his offensive philosophy...I like it...if only he could just be OC...) have backed off and DO admit that this performance is unacceptable.  

But this isn't a debate on whether or not Mike Shannahan should be fired, using the topic of "not playing the other guys because the current guys suck."  I think the point is:  you're dreaming if you think the guys on our practice squad or otherwise not drawn up for plays...are going to make a big difference now, or going forward.

Let's not get too outside the box...let's simplify.  Like you said, we see it every week.  This team is schematically flawed in most areas.  Ridiculous special teams, a defense playing scared and not confident whatsoever, and therefore an offense that's being asked to do everything to win a game since the other aspects cannot.  We're talking about MINOR improvement IF some young guy can make a play or two.  

While Mike Shannahan HAS failed in making sure all aspects of his team are solid, I think he has succeeded on this topic of player evaluation and who gets to play Sunday.  It's the Shannahan motto:  "whatever gives us the best chance to win".  I'm not going to go the cap penalty route, or lack of draft picks VIA RG3 route, but we simply do not have some miracle difference maker in the bullpen that's going to improve this team.  It's schematically flawed. 

I've seen you preach number 10, and you do it because he is a big time difference maker and a franchise quarterback.  That was due to a blockbuster trade.  Do you really think we'll find the same kind of difference maker on defense or O line or WR or whatever by simply playing the youngest guy?  That would be too easy, we couldn't possibly be that fortunate.  You have to earn your spot on a team, and along with Mike Shannahan's offensive philosophy, that's the other thing I like about him.  There will be no skipping along, there will be no free 'whatever go ahead and play since you're young" on this team.  Simple discipline and having to earn your keep BEFORE Sunday.  It's what the dallas cowboys DON'T have.  It's what makes champions.  It's unfortunate that all aspects of the team can't come together, but it's still important that a player must earn their spot on a team no matter their age, no matter the team's record.  

First time I've had a chance to respond all day Dirt.

The whole Shanahan preaches competition and spots earned is absolute B/S. We're saty at 3 and ******* 9, with most EVERYONE playing piss poor, yet he's trying to tell us that out of 53 guys, the same tried and failed 22 HAVE to start everyweek because they've earned the right? Well ****, if that's the case, can his and Alllens ass ASAP if the other 31 guys are THAT bad they can't unseat the pathetic excuse for starters we roll out week in, week out.

Practice is only part of the evaluation process. Your not going to find out anything until these guys see the field in live action, regular season games. Nobody cares if we win another game or not this year. (Outside of Shanahan and his reason's for sticking with the vets. I.E. To try save hsi own inept ass.). We win a couple more games say and finish on 5 wins. Wow. That's SO much different from 3. So this is the ideal time with what should be ZERO pressure on them to let the guys you hope to be your future just go out and play and see how they fair against pro opposition. Nobody, at least not the realists among us, are expecting the team to be instantly upgraded overnight. (Although they can't be any worse than what they'd replace.). We just want to see what we have in these guys who DESERVE their shot EVERYBIT as much as the tried and failed vets.

And speaking of those vets., this assertion that he'd lose their respect and the locker room if he sat them. Man alive, what an egotistical, 'me, me, ME!' bunch of veteren players we must possess if that's their attitude. They sit at 3 and ******* 9, disgracing you, me, and everyone else of a B&G heart week after week after week; yet they think they 'deserve' a starting spot regardless of what they do on Sundays. WHERE IT COUNTS! Unlike practice.

Sorry man, this whole defense of this is absolute bunkum when your a team sat as bad as we are.

NONE of our starters outside of Morris and a couple of others if that deserve a starting spot when they preform this bad this consistently.

Hail.

Royster and Helu got injured. Alfred was the last man standing and seized the job. 

RG3 named the starter after the draft. Really? laff.gif

Davis got injured around the time Reed got his chance.

Rambo started game 1 only because Brandon and Thomas were out. He could only get better.  Who is his competition again... Biggers?

Morgan looked slower to me this year. Anyways, he has been largely a blocking WR here. Hank did eventually eek past him, yes. But Hank had gotten a ton of snaps and was close to Morgan in snap count before beating him out. 

Barnett pushed London no where. Father time has pushed London farther than Barnett ever could.

Amerson has been in the lineup a ton but we often have 3 corners on the field. Long gone are the days that you only need 2 corners.

Regardless if the above is true or not, no OL have get benched for horrendous play.  Sugar coat it any way you want, Mike sucks at building his lines. He targets no namers in the late rounds, cast offs, and they fail to provide basic protections for RG3 as Kyle grooms him into an NFL pocket passer.

Save the, what if a backup is in there and blows an assignment and RG3 get injured speech. RG3 has taken countless blows this year, Instead of worrying about backup OL injuring RG3, what about asking the same thing and Kyle limiting RG3 to the "pocket".   Making him run the college option, and countless read options. 

What about asking the same about the starting OL?

Yes, really, RG3 being named starter immediately qualifies, since there are coaches who would have had him battle with Grossman. 

Royster wasn't hurt, Helu's turf toe didn't sideline him until later. Morris won the job. You are trying to present it like he was the only option available, that wasn't the case.

Davis lost his starting job to Reed. If it was just injury, then Davis would have gotten his starting job back. 

Rambo started over other safety options, including Doughty and Gumbs. He then was benched due to poor play, but has earned his way back up. Doesn't matter who his competition is, the point is that he was given a shot because he earned it. Yet some on here want to act like that isn't happening on this team.

Hank beat out Morgan, plain and simple. It doesn't matter that it was a gradual increase in snaps, what matters is if Shanny is letting young players earn their way up and Hank is further proof that he is.

Given Fletcher's status on the team, MANY coaches would still be playing him full time. Shanny has shown no such allegiance to poor play. That's the point of this thread, is Shanny letting other guys play over poor performers, especially young guys? Barnett is not young, but taking Fletcher out for plays despite his status/clout IS proof that there isn't an allegiance to vets/starters regardless of play. 

Amerson is playing ahead of Biggers and has taken snaps from Wilson at 2. He is another example of a young guy earning his way up and that such is frequent on this team, not rare as some would suggest.

Given all these players who have earned their way up, and Shanny's treatment of poor performing players, it's right there that there isn't an allegiance to vets, and therefor if there were younger players doing better in practices then they would be on the field now. 

So, what evidence/reports do you have that the back-up OL are any better? WHO exactly do you want starting? I already pointed out, and others have too, that OL is not like other positions where they are interchangeable. They work as a unit so disrupting that could actually lead to worse results. Ribs' overweight problem has come back, Compton needs to be available for LT because Trent is banged up, Hurt is on PUP, Gettis I wouldn't mind seeing. But given the other young guys who have been elevated, if there were an OL who looked better than the poor performers we have now, it would stand to reason he would have been called up and given a shot like all the other ones have.

Ribs was a miss. Talented but can't get himself straight. The cap penalty negated getting some better starters, as did trading away high picks to get RG3. As another pointed out, Shanny has still targeted OL frequently in the draft, but they have been lower picks. Most teams OL back ups are in and out quickly, especially since they are lower round picks. I know, I know, this is just "excuses," even though the RT situation is proof of their effects. But tell me, if Shanny sticks around, do you honestly think OL won't be addressed this offseason? 

Playing hypothetical, let's say they put Gettis out there "just to see what happens, because he's young," and then he blows a blocking assignment big time and it leads to an RG3 injury. Then we find out Gettis has looked terrible in practice all season. There goes the relationship with RG3, the entire team too probably, the media and fans will have a field day, and Shanny is definitely fired at the end of the season.

Although I appreciate the logic of most of your answer I would disagree about the OL. Isn't RGIII getting blown up already, I have seen not only Polumbus let his assignments go unblocked to the QB, but also Chester and Lichtenstein are pretty good at that as well. How much worse could it actually be??

Polumbus flat out didn't lay a mit on Tuck last game and he leveled RGIII. An unhindered path to the QB would indicate a total fail in my opinion. Surely Gettis, Compton or Leriebus couldn't do much worse could they really? Disagree with Shanahan not holding allegiance to players either, isn't that why Licht is here, and isn't that why Keith Burns is here. I know he is a coach, but the fact that he is still here speaks to the larger problem.

I think the younger OL should get some snaps in the next 4 weeks. I'm not advocating the younger OL start and play every single offensive snaps, but they should get couple of drives worth of snaps so you have actual game films on them. Also, I doubt anyone wants all three young OL to be playing at the same time, you can mix it up. 

About the possibility of injuring RG3, it's always going to be there because he's small and takes a lot of hits. He's getting hit quite frequently now with the 5 OL that has played every single snap. 

elkabong explains it well.  you don't play players just to play them.  You put your best team on the field.

Laugh all you want, but there's no reason to think the inactives would make the team better.  We have what we have, this OP is a desperate grasping at straws.

I mean what would playing Cousins 'in the same environment' prove?  To satisfy your curiosity?

When this team loses, it's fans lose their football logic.  There's no reason to bench RG3 or anyone else, you're forgetting that part:  you're BENCHING someone.  You don't get BENCHED unless you're hurt, playing terribly, or pissing off coaches.  I'm sure you would say we ARE playing terribly, but I'm sorry, our answers aren't on the practice squad, and they ain't under the Christmas tree either.

Grasping at straws???

It's not like this hasn't been talked about by some more knowlegable folks like Chris Cooley, Sonny Jurgensen, Brian Mitchell, etc...

I am not the only one that is suggesting this. Also if you want to know how a player will execute in a game situation why not test it now since the season is virtually over??

As we all know some players simply play better than they practice and I think if we thought enough to draft them why not give them the real situation to evaluate them.

As to putting Cousins into that environment it would serve several porpouses, getting RGIII out of harms way, letting him get a head start on getting healthy for next season and seeing what we have in Cousins. It's not like we are playing for the post season at this point.

This season alone:

Davis played poorly, got dinged up, lost his starting spot to better playing Reed, never got his starting spot back.

Morgan performed poorly, lost his spot to Hank and got pushed to only ST duties. He's pretty much only back in because of injury to Hank, and Robinson has been eating into his time, and so has Nick Williams who was elevated from PS, and for all we know Lance Lewis could see some O snaps soon too since he's been doing decent on STs.

Rambo started ahead of vets, but he didn't get allegiance for being young. Benched for poor play. Then he earned his way back in.

Amerson earned his way past Biggers and has taken snaps from Wilson at 2 also.

Fletcher, despite his status as team leader, has lost a lot of reps due to poor play. 

When Brandon Jenkins was healthy he saw snaps. 

The usual suspects are in here complaining that because the team is doing bad, it means young guys should get a start. Yet other than Gettis I see no actual players being mentioned. Which players are doing poorly, who should replace them?

QB- RG3 stays in

RB- Morris all the way, though Helu is seeing more work to use his talents too

FB- Young does well

TE: Reed overtook Davis, cemented as starter

WR- Garcon is best on team, Morgan lost his job to Hank, but he is IR now. Nick Williams has seen snaps since being elevated from PS. Lance Lewis was elevated too, though is STs for now.

OL- Gettis is about it right now, but the OL being a unit and not interchangeable is an issue to be considered. I wouldn't mind him getting a shot, though there are concerns. But have we heard anything good about him in practice? Why would Shanny promote other young guys who did well, but not OL too?

DL: Jenkins has been there but hasn't panned out. Cofield is the best NT we have sadly. Bowen is IRd so other guys are stepping in.

ILBer: Barnett has eaten in to Fletcher's snaps. We have Kehl behind Riley. 

OLB: Orakpo has come on as of late, Rob Jackson is your back up, should he replace Kerrigan? Or would that be the reverse, using a vet instead of a young guy?

CB: I would love to see Wilson on the bench and Amerson as the full #2, move Biggers to slot. Is this a Shanny call or a Haslett or Raheem call?

S: Is there anyone on the team who deserves a look over Rambo and Merriweather? Rambo has actually been doing better. Doughty has been on the field more in Merriweatehr's place.

Seems to me that really it's not a refusal to start young guys, but more of a case that at certain positions we just don't have potentially better options. Not having good depth at every position is going to happen when you have a massive cap penalty and you trade high picks for your franchise QB.

As I've said, there are valid things to be critical about with Shanny, but starting the best players on the roster, given young players who have earned their way up, isn't one of them because he does do it. It's not a situation that he is holding back players, but more of a situation that there aren't better options to push out most of the current guys. Some of the blame for that falls on the cap penalty, and some of it falls on Shanny for the misses he has had in draft and FA. 

Alfred Morris, Jordan Reed, David Amerson, Fred Davis then Jordan Reed, Hankerson, Rambo, Roy Helu, Perry Riley, Aldrick Robinson, Darrell Young, Richard Crawford, all pushed out underperforming vets.

We recently elevated Chase Minnifield from the practice squad, as well as Lance Lewis and Nick Williams. Do they not count as young guys getting a shot? 

Yes they do as long as they are getting significant playing time. I haven't even seen Chase on the field, nor have I seen Lance Lewis.

My main concern as to playing time is for our most needed positions, interior OL and RT. Perhaps I should have emphasized that in my OP.

If any of these second level players are able to show instictive and aggresive play with some improvement in what is left of the season then it would be stupid not to do it.

Gotta agree with the OP here.  We lose nothing by attempting to start some new guys on the oline.  this happens in other sports as well.  when baseball teams expand rosters in september, they bring up kids who may or may not be ready, but they use that month to evaluate some of the talent they have.  our oline is pretty terrible outside of trent and monty IMO, and i dont see the problem with starting gettis or leiribus. 

and the argument that griffin is gonna get injured is a little silly, hes already getting plowed into on most drops past 3 steps or when he has to extend the play a little.  i doubt hes going to get more plowed with 2 new guards.  and if those guys are really that terrible, we play one game with them and switch back to the regulars.  but this oline is the dregs.

Although I appreciate the logic of most of your answer I would disagree about the OL. Isn't RGIII getting blown up already, I have seen not only Polumbus let his assignments go unblocked to the QB, but also Chester and Lichtenstein are pretty good at that as well. How much worse could it actually be??

Polumbus flat out didn't lay a mit on Tuck last game and he leveled RGIII. An unhindered path to the QB would indicate a total fail in my opinion. Surely Gettis, Compton or Leriebus couldn't do much worse could they really? Disagree with Shanahan not holding allegiance to players either, isn't that why Licht is here, and isn't that why Keith Burns is here. I know he is a coach, but the fact that he is still here speaks to the larger problem.

I have said in here, with the OL, that Hurt is on PUP, Ribs is a massive miss, literally, because he is something like 50-60 lbs overweight again, that's turning out to be a bad draft pick which is a shame because the kid has talent. Compton they may be holding on to as depth for the left side because Trent is playing hurt. If they put Compton in as starter, and then Trent goes down, then Compton has to shuffle over to the left side and Polumbus comes back at the right side, so it's a shuffle and that's not good for an OL unit. I get the decision to keep working him at left side right now. If Trent were 100% though, then I would want Compton in. 

Gettis is the only one, sadly, that could go in right now but isn't. But, given the other players mentioned who have earned their way up, it would then stand to reason that if Gettis were earning his way up then he'd have been given his shot by now. I'm not seeing on this team where there are good young players being held out, at least none are being mentioned in here, that would give legitimacy to the opinion that Gettis has earned his shot but isn't getting it, especially not when the current roster has at least 4 players that earned their way up from the practice squad.

Yes they do as long as they are getting significant playing time. I haven't even seen Chase on the field, nor have I seen Lance Lewis.

My main concern as to playing time is for our most needed positions, interior OL and RT. Perhaps I should have emphasized that in my OP.

If any of these second level players are able to show instictive and aggresive play with some improvement in what is left of the season then it would be stupid not to do it.

Chase just got called up, same with Lewis. Nick Williams has seen snaps on O. Bellamy is another WR who got called up and he has seen the field a lot, albeit on STs.

But I do agree with you about if the OL are earning it, they should get a shot. The question is, are they earning it? We have evidence of other young players earning it and getting a shot, so based off of that the logical inference would be that if the young O were earning it, then they'd get their shot. I don't see, or haven't seen mentioned, young players that should be getting their shot but aren't, other than the 1 eligible OL. If there were a history on this squad of young guys not getting their shots, that would give merit, but we don't really have that history. Shanny doesn't have the allegiance to vets that Gibbs, for example, had.

Might want to check and see when Minnifield and Lewis made the 53.  You may feel a little silly after learning of that.

-Preaches competition

-Player under performs on the field

-Player goes out and starts the following week

Regardless of whether or not that is the best player during practice or even the best player during the game, that player needs to be sat down because their record is 3-9 with that player.

I would doubt we are sacrificing development of the scheme, the offense/defense, and other players if we replace a linemen or two who are continually in the backfield.

Is it possible that:

He preaches competition

Player under-performs

Player still does better than his potential replacement has done

I'm not a Shanahan supporter anymore, but this is how football teams operate.  All of them.  I don't know why you guys think that this is a good idea that ONLY we have thought of and no other coach, ever.  It's pretty arrogant, really.

Is it possible that:

He preaches competition

Player under-performs

Player still does better than his potential replacement has done

I'm not a Shanahan supporter anymore, but this is how football teams operate.  All of them.  I don't know why you guys think that this is a good idea that ONLY we have thought of and no other coach, ever.  It's pretty arrogant, really.

That's possible, absolutely.

But I don't feel like certain guys who won't be here next year need to be getting reps.  And the ones who will be here who are underperforming certainly shouldn't be rewarded for with status quo.

That's the old "Office Space" line where Peter says, "That makes someone work just hard enough not to get fired."

Archived