Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BI: Bob Dylan Formally Charged With 'Inciting Hate' For This Comment Made About Croatians

JMS

http://www.businessinsider.com/bob-dylan-formally-charged-with-racism-2013-12

Bob Dylan Formally Charged With 'Inciting Hate' For This Comment Made About Croatians

Bob Dylan has been formally charged with "inciting hate," AFP reports.

On Friday, we reported Dylan had been sued by a Croatian community association in France over comments he made in his September cover interview with Rolling Stone and which subsequently appeared in the magazine's French edition. Speaking about race relations in the U.S., he said:

"This country is just too f***** up about color. It's a distraction. People at each other's throats just because they are of a different color. It's the height of insanity, and it will hold any nation back – or any neighborhood back. Or any anything back. Blacks know that some whites didn't want to give up slavery – that if they had their way, they would still be under the yoke, and they can't pretend they don't know that. If you got a slave master or Klan in your blood, blacks can sense that. That stuff lingers to this day. Just like Jews can sense Nazi blood and the Serbs can sense Croatian blood."

Now, AFP says he was actually questioned a few weeks ago in the case by a French prosecutor, around the same he was receiving a French Legion of Honor medal for serving as a symbol of justice for young people.

Dylan was charged under France's statutes regarding "injury" and "inciting hate."

If found guilty, he would face a fine and probation.

In other news, Croatians have just voted to ban gay marriage.

As a Croatian, I can tell you that he is right.  Serbians and Croatians hate each other.  My grandparents brought it over on the boat with them.

I mean, Croats are cultured, Roman Catholic civilized people who live in one of the most beautiful places on earth.  Serbians are the trailer trash of Europe.  Why would they get along?  :P

Given how many French and Croats were Nazi sympathisers/collaborators....

Nothing to see here, but typical of the French mindset. LOVE to label Americans as racist, but cannot tolerate anyone holding a mirror up to European society.

Agreed, but for the record I don't think it's as much of a French mindset as a European mindset. Probably one of the most racist continents on earth, though parts of Asia are much worse

Most of the world likes to point at the US and cry racism, when in fact we are really the only country that is truly diverse. I would argue we are among the least racist and most tolerant places on earth.

Put it this way, after WWIII the Jews didnt flee to France or Spain or Italy. They left for New York

Put it this way, after WWIII the Jews didnt flee to France or Spain or Italy. They left for New York

Pffft. Didn't you see An American Tail? They got to New York only to find out there were cats in America too.  

I think it's kind of silly to say one country has more intolerant people than other countries.  Every country has it's share of intolerant and tolerant people.  To simply lump a whole country or people as more racist than others is kind silly, especially if you've never lived in these places.

Most of the world likes to point at the US and cry racism, when in fact we are really the only country that is truly diverse. I would argue we are among the least racist and most tolerant places on earth.

Agreed... and Dylan's comments about America were just friggin' ignorant.

As a Croatian, I can tell you that he is right.  Serbians and Croatians hate each other.  My grandparents brought it over on the boat with them.

I mean, Croats are cultured, Roman Catholic civilized people who live in one of the most beautiful places on earth.  Serbians are the trailer trash of Europe.  Why would they get along?  :P

Yes the Catholic Croats were Nazi Sympathizers during WWII.   Towards the end of WWII Croats made up even SS troops...   Serbs who are slavic and Orthodox Christians aligned themselves with the Russians...   Both fought proxi wars with each other on behalf of their foreign suppoters.  You could make the point that Croats repressed the Serbs in WWII as the SS was reppressing a lot of slavs especially while Germany was on the offensive in that war...

But since WWII especially since the Tito died,  I would argue it was the Serbs who were oppressing the Croats.  When Yougoslavia disolved,  Serbia inherited the Yougoslavian militay and they jumped all over the Croats after a 50 year lul.    They kicked the snott out of Croata as the UN's arms embargo kept the Croats from arming.   Worse after Croatia finally was permitted to recieve aid from their traditional Ally Germany in the 80's 90's  the Serbs then turned on the defenseless Bosnians and kicked the snott out of them..

As such Dylan's statement could have really gone either way...  Croats repressing Serbs or Serbs repressing Croatia..   I would argue Serbs pursecution of the Croats is the more chronologically accurate.

He compared Croats with American Whitey? No wonder they are upset.

No not actually...  He compared Nazi's,  Klansmen, with all Croats...     which is the problem....

From the birthplace of the Enlightenment to the place where thought is outlawed. I don't care what Dylan said, it seems all a bit silly but to charge him with inciting hate seems a little more than absurd.

Agreed,  especially since he was in France to recieve a legion of honor medal  for being a symbol of justice to the world...  charging such a guy for what amounts to a poor analogy seems rather idiotic.

Archived