Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: RGIII Feared Losing His Job To Kirk Cousins

DM72

this article lost credibility, just like every article and person that says "they mortgaged their future to acquire RG3"

Not really. Borrowing from the future to have something today is basically how people buy their homes...hence the mortgage analogy.

www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000289781/article/redskins-officials-rgiii-feared-job-loss-to-kirk-cousins

I knew he did. That's the main reason he insisted on staying in the game last year versus the Seahawks. People can disagree all they want to but Shanahan created an unnecessary distraction for RGIII by drafted Cousins.

No doubt in my mind.  Cousins looked great in Pre-season and did play well last year.  I can see how Griffin came back pre-maturely due to what he saw in Cousins.  We all might kick ourselves if we trade cousins and he becomes a hit somewhere else and Griffin breaks down physically from the injuries.  Either way I hope they both succeed. 

Not really. Borrowing from the future to have something today is basically how people buy their homes...hence the mortgage analogy.

Dude, get the **** off of the board.  You've been here for how many years and can't figure out when and when not to post **** like this?

Really helping out those Philly fan stereotypes there.

Dude, get the **** off of the board. You've been here for how many years and can't figure out when and when not to post **** like this?

Really helping out those Philly fan stereotypes there.

Oh good God quit being so damn sensitive. I never said it was a stupid move for te Redskins...I only pointed out why that analogy is used. Sometimes it's worth it to go for it. In the case if RG3, time will answer that. Way too soon to say.

But seriously...quit taking everything as a slam when it's not intended to be. Sometimes a comment is just a comment. Chill.

Whatever, I'll put my thought in this thread:

After all this scrutiny, to his play and his talking, not only does he play very well tonight, he says the perfect, professional thing in his presser when asked about the ref debacle.  When it's blatantly obvious the refs screwed up he says "we stay in the moment, we just wanted to convert that 4th down."  The one time he's totally allowed to be pissed and lash out.  After being mathematically eliminated, after losing 2 weeks in a row primetime, after playing well and his team loses, after being poked at for weeks, after brutally rehabbing all summer.... he doesn't even sound passive aggressive.  He says the perfect thing.

Even Mike Shannahan called it "disappointing", which is a shot at the refs.  Robert Griffin III is poised.  Everyone from Cam Newton to Tom Brady drops a shot in that presser, but not RG3.  Tonight, he looked more like is old self playing, and sounded like his old self at the presser.  After the whistle, he has a little moment and some dap with Morris, no doubt saying something like "let's keep fighting."

I ****ing love this guy, and anyone that jumped on that super obvious media bandwagon to slam Robert and fill newspaper columns can ****ing stay on it.  

Everyone should ALWAYS believe they have to earn their place on the team every game. But I'm just not buying it that RG3 feared that he would lose his job after the team spent multiple 1st round picks to acquire him. Not saying he should go all Haynesworth and not get all entitled, but it's too early in his rookie contract for fear he's going to be replaced.

Yup, you don't mortgage your future for RGIII and then turn around and dump him for Cousins.  RGIII should know his job will not be in jeopardy.

No doubt in my mind.  Cousins looked great in Pre-season and did play well last year.  I can see how Griffin came back pre-maturely due to what he saw in Cousins.  We all might kick ourselves if we trade cousins and he becomes a hit somewhere else and Griffin breaks down physically from the injuries.  Either way I hope they both succeed. 

Pre-season, are we talking about preseason when the defenses are vanilla and offenses are mediocre to say the least. People need to stop kidding themselves with players on this roster and stop making them more than what they are.

Whatever, I'll put my thought in this thread:

After all this scrutiny, to his play and his talking, not only does he play very well tonight, he says the perfect, professional thing in his presser when asked about the ref debacle.  When it's blatantly obvious the refs screwed up he says "we stay in the moment, we just wanted to convert that 4th down."  The one time he's totally allowed to be pissed and lash out.  After being mathematically eliminated, after losing 2 weeks in a row primetime, after playing well and his team loses, after being poked at for weeks, after brutally rehabbing all summer.... he doesn't even sound passive aggressive.  He says the perfect thing.

Even Mike Shannahan called it "disappointing", which is a shot at the refs.  Robert Griffin III is poised.  Everyone from Cam Newton to Tom Brady drops a shot in that presser, but not RG3.  Tonight, he looked more like is old self playing, and sounded like his old self at the presser.  After the whistle, he has a little moment and some dap with Morris, no doubt saying something like "let's keep fighting."

I ****ing love this guy, and anyone that jumped on that super obvious media bandwagon to slam Robert and fill newspaper columns can ****ing stay on it.  

I have the feeling listening to the game from Colinsworth and Michaels that was all that article was about trying to fill space and carry time. They seem to mock the writer

All the more reason why Shanahan needs to go. He created this mess.

I have the feeling listening to the game from Colinsworth and Michaels that was all that article was about trying to fill space and carry time. They seem to mock the writer

I can tell we both picked up on that lol...the newspaper filler line for instance.  Man, those are already my 2 favorite guys calling a game (Al Michaels NBA is great), and they kept it real this game too.

How is a QB worried about his losing his starting spot a story AT ALL?

Especially when a QB has just gone through a potentially career-ending injury?

I don't know how potentially career ending it was when he came back in 8 months and hasn't missed a start since.  Let's not overstate it.

I have to think there is an excellent book or really long Sports Illustrated piece to be written on this season. If you look at the other young QBs around the league, their organizations have gone out of their way to protect them and shield them and nurture them. Pete Carroll pretty much treats Russel Wilson like a favorite nephew; I bet they go to Dairy Queen together after the games. The Colts are going to act like Andrew Luck is just as good as Peyton Manning until one of them dies. Jim Harbaugh will challenge any reporter who questions Kaepernick to a fight.

Meanwhile, we have more resources dedicate to RGIII than anyone has dedicated to their guy, and he seems like our staff goes out of its way to undermine him. Even when the organization defends him - like with the film room nonsense - it seems obligatory rather than passionate.

And there have been so many leaks coming out about him. And one thing I can guarantee you is that nothing leaks from a Mike Shanahan team unless he wants it leaked.

The continued leaks from Redskins Park aimed at denigrating the QB and turning it ALL onto him to deflect away from the Coaching problems has gotten BEYOND a joke. 

It's blighted this regime and is to their absolute detriment, 

I have no proof of this. (But as much as anyone saying the opposite.) I believe the leaks are emanating from the HC and OC. Just my opinion. But it's getting FAR too coincidental. 

Hail.

I have wondered the same thing. It does seem like these leaks are deflecting attention from the coaching staff.

RG3's thinking is understandable.  I think it's normal for any injured QB to worry about loosing their spot. Don't think he rehabbed overtime for that reason though. But if he did, so what? He's a competitor. I don't see what the issue is.

Alex Smith playing the best year of his career lost his spot on a Super Bowl team to an injury last year. It's not unheard of.

Dumb or intelligence has nothing to do with it.  It's ego.  The articles points about how he chose where to go to college when a higher profile school offered him a scholarship i.e. Stanford.  He wants to be the guy on the field and KC performed well in relief vs Balt. and the Browns.  That was enough to plant a seed of concern.  RG is human as much as the "lose the brace crowd" of last season might think that he has a giant "S" costume beneath his uniform.

One reason he didn't go to Stanford was because Andrew Luck commited there and it would have been better to not compete against each other and cut into each other's playing time... Top 2-3 QBs in a class never go to the same school... it's completely normal.

www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000289781/article/redskins-officials-rgiii-feared-job-loss-to-kirk-cousins

I knew he did. That's the main reason he insisted on staying in the game last year versus the Seahawks. People can disagree all they want to but Shanahan created an unnecessary distraction for RGIII by drafted Cousins.

I'm sorry but shanahan didn't create ****. If rg3 is scared of his backup that's a personal flaw of his. One only needs to look to green bay to see what a team with a crap backup looks like. Shanny, imo did the right thing in securing the most important position in the field, rg needs to man up if this is really bothering him that much.

I have to think there is an excellent book or really long Sports Illustrated piece to be written on this season. If you look at the other young QBs around the league, their organizations have gone out of their way to protect them and shield them and nurture them. Pete Carroll pretty much treats Russel Wilson like a favorite nephew; I bet they go to Dairy Queen together after the games. The Colts are going to act like Andrew Luck is just as good as Peyton Manning until one of them dies. Jim Harbaugh will challenge any reporter who questions Kaepernick to a fight.

Meanwhile, we have more resources dedicate to RGIII than anyone has dedicated to their guy, and he seems like our staff goes out of its way to undermine him. Even when the organization defends him - like with the film room nonsense - it seems obligatory rather than passionate.

And there have been so many leaks coming out about him. And one thing I can guarantee you is that nothing leaks from a Mike Shanahan team unless he wants it leaked.

Good points. I think part of that is just Mike Shanahan's nature as a head coach though. I just don't think he has that kind of personality. Now because he does not go to those lengths to protect certain players doesn't necessarily mean all that much, at least to me, but when you look at how events in the offseason transpired, along with Griffin's comments in Training Camp/Preseason, I can definitely envision some steam coming out of Shanahan's ears.

He's always struck me as the type of cat that will hold a grudge, and will even remember a restaurant from 30 years ago that served his steak a little too rare. Now I don't think Mike is the type of guy that would go behind someones back and sell them out to the media publicly (or that he wants info leaked), but taking the offseason into account, I can definitely envision a lot of "Alright kid, now you're on your own" going on.

The only way I could envision Mike not necessarily okaying a leak, but allowing one, is if it's his son that's doing it. I think we all know Mike would never fire his son, and I think "The Masterminds" iron fist would soften a great deal in that situation.

Archived