Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Youth Movement at O-Line

D'Pablo

After weeks of watching our O-Line look helpless, I'm convinced we have a solution available. Their names are Maurice Hurt, Josh LeRibeus, and Tom Compton. Right now, we give up way too much size in favor of very little athleticism. Lichtensteiger is 284 lbs for goodness sake. No starting lineman outside of Williams is over 310 lbs. Polumbus is 6'8" and 305lbs - no wonder he gets no leverage (he's proportionally a stringbean).

In the 49ers game, I saw our interior line get pancaked on multiple occasions, which shows both a lack of physical prowess and a lack of heart. A youth movement would certainly light a fire in practice. Besides, Hurt (26yo; 6'3" and 329lbs) and LeRibeus (24yo; 6'3" and 315lbs) have starting experience at guard and a huge weight advantage. I happen to believe this could help Montgomery a great deal in the middle against larger nose tackles. Compton (24yo; 6'5" and 308lbs) has played in games as a blocking TE, and at 24, has much more potential than the 28 year old journeyman Polumbus. He could be worse (not likely), but at least he's not on Griffin's blindside.

Finally, I'm sick of seeing defenses get a second wind against us after we have run on them all game long - the Philly, Minnesota, and Broncos games come to mind. This suggests to me that our O-line isn't wearing down our opponents' front seven. We need size and we need some fire. I think these three can bring that with some much needed stability from Montgomery and Williams.

I really like Nolan Nawrocki from pro football weekly as a NFL draft reporter, he has been spot on in a lot of his evaluations of past players like Jamarcus Russell, Adrian Peterson, Calvin Johnson and many other players. He wasn't real high on LeRibeus coming out of college but did think his best position in the pro's would be center. He liked Gettis and thought he would do well if drafted by a team that runs the zone blocking scheme. He thought Tom Compton was a 3rd round pick who like Gettis would do well in a zone scheme and thought his best position in the pro's would be inside at guard. Mo Hurt filling in for Polumbus in the Cleveland game last year was probably the best RT play we've had since Jansen. Since Kory L, Montgomery, Chester and Polumbus have had 11 games this year to show us what they got I really wish Shanahan would start Trent, Compton, LeRibeus, Gettis and Hurt as the starting OL for a few games to see what they have. Chris Foerster is in the same boat as Haslett and Burns. He needs to be let go and take the current LG, C, RG & RT with him.    

HC scrapping tooth and nail to protect his $ 7 million a year for as many more years as he can.

What SHOULD happen (Hell, changes in personnel SHOULD of happened WEEKS back. Only a complete moron or stubborn ass SOB wouldn't at least TRY change it up when things are continually SO bad. To continue trotting out the same tried and tested failures game-on-game has to be seen to be believed); isn't in all probability what WILL happen.

I completely and utterly agree with you FWIW but sadly I neither think we'll get those changes nor do I foresee the OL being much different next year if the same HC is still here.

Hail.

O.P.  I'm all for this.  I'd love to see what the young guys can do on the O-line.  I remember one season during Gibbs 1.. I believe it was the 1989 season.. where the team was getting older and struggling.  Injuries caused this very same thing to happen with "then" young players named MacKenzie, Schlereth on the o-line and it worked out in the long run.  We know what we have with the current guys.. let's give the young guys a chance... maybe they will be excited to play and infuse the offense with some positive energy.

I remember that in Shanahan's first year, he yanked Dockery and handed Lichtensteiger the left OG job.  Kory was terrible for those first couple of games, but Shanahan gave him a really long leash to work things out.  I'm not understanding why some of these younger guys aren't getting the same opportunity.  He hand picked all of them, too.  Polumbus starting is especially egregious.  Is Shanahan actively trying to hold on to his Denver days?  I know both Kory and Tyler were with him during his tenure as the Bronco's HC. 

Offensive lines play as a unit, it's not a simple plug-and-play deal. Switching three or four players on the line is not like benching a receiver.

I don't really see the chemistry with our current line. Our blitz pick ups are terrible - people miss their assignments left and right. Under most circumstances, I would agree with you, but I think we need a change. Besides, my scenario keeps Montgomery in the middle to get everyone lined up correctly, and LeRibeus has spent time learning center, so I figure he'll have decent chemistry with Montgomery. Hurt has literally played all across the line and should adapt to wherever he ends up. The only player I question is Compton, but given time, he'll be better than the garbage we've seen at RT.

Offensive lines play as a unit, it's not a simple plug-and-play deal. Switching three or four players on the line is not like benching a receiver.

This OL has peaked and needs to be scrapped. As many have pointed out and I happen to agree, Trent is the only player on the line worth a damn.

I thought competition makes for better players.

If you are the starter for week 1, you are for the entire year in these parts.

Announcing as such, players knowing this, sure gives little reason for the backups to push hard in practice.

Soon it just gets to the point of.... Just give me my ****ing check

I see other teams move OL into the lineup and rarely notice.

I'm all for changes on the OLine...but why just stop there?

I'm starting Aldrick Robinson opposite Garcon. I want to see for myself if he's really just a one trick pony.

Also starting Amerson and Rambo. 

This season is over so this is a perfect opportunity to develop the kids.

He is a one trick pony.  He can only run fly patterns.  

With as pitiful as the OL play has been, and as little time as Griffin has to throw, I think that OL is the one place where you just want the best group out there, regardless of age/experience.

The theory being, it's so bad, do you really want to make it worse, which would impede Griffin's ability to mature in the passing game. 

Now, the question is, continuity aside, are the 5 guys currently starting the best 5 guys out there.  Is it worth a risk?

Dunno.

Personally, I'd like to see Compton and Gettis get some PT somehow.  I mentioned this in another thread.  If I was Mike, I might go to Robert, and tell him that if they are either up 14 or down 14 in any of the remaining games, they want to get a look at younger OL guys for next year.  But, he doesn't want to put Robert at risk, and therefore he's going to play Cousins at that time.

Hell, since I'm not really on the "Play Cousins" bandwagon, if he really balked at that, I'd even play Rex if that would make him feel better, that they weren't benching him. The message would be, "Robert, you're too valuable to have out there with an inexperienced OL.  But we've got to get a look at these guys against live competition.  We're putting in Rex, so he can take the beating.  

Eh, might work.  might not.  But I really would like to see at least Gettis and Compton, and even Josh L. if there is a way to do it.

But I really wouldn't want Robert out there during that experiment.  

And if I had to choose, I'd probably choose to see the young guys and get Robert out of there early.  This does not mean benching him, not starting him, etc.  Just figuring out a way to get the OL players out there a little bit.  

Another way would be to give the backups a few designated drives.

Dunno.  

It seems mike is gun shy to use his backup QB, even though it seems he intends to pump his value and trade him for a kings ransom. If he is not changing to Cousins no matter the record or game score, I can see him not changing his OL.

Mike has tied his own hands taking Cousins and can't play him for fear of the obvious, and thus is limiting other moves as well, like trying new OL. He wants to give the appearance that he is sticking to his guns because he can't try a change at QB. We want consistency in our lineup.

He is the GM and can decide to showcase Cousins but predict he will not. If not, was drafting Cousins worth the effort? We had other positions of need, more than backup QB. Like the OL.

With his luck drafting OLs in his tenure here, maybe its a blessing he didn't use a 4th on an OL.

I suppose I should expect it, but I was really hoping that there might be a single thread on here that does not pit RG3 against Cousins, Shanahan, the media, himself, etc...  The O-line is a much bigger deal than I think most folks are making it out to be.  While this is the same 'stalwart' line from last year, it's also mostly the same garbage line from the year before that no one thought would hold up.  The RO hid the fact that our talent was fairly deficient last year.  I don't think we'll be seeing any improvements on offense until our line is fixed - that includes a QB change.  After all, once the wheels fell off in Denver, even Kirk threw two picks in 9 passes.

I thought competition makes for better players.

If you are the starter for week 1, you are for the entire year in these parts.

Announcing as such, players knowing this, sure gives little reason for the backups to push hard in practice.

Soon it just gets to the point of.... Just give me my ****ing check

I see other teams move OL into the lineup and rarely notice.

Jordan Reed? Rambo benched and then earned his way back. Amerson has earned more and more time. Morgan was benched for poor play. Fletcher has lost play time for poor play. This team does encourage competition and does let young guys who do well and work hard start.

Odd that people can't seem to fathom that the OL depth may just not be good enough to beat out the starters even if they are mediocre.

Also, for others that mentioned him, I think Mo Hurt is still on the PUP list.

Ribs was a miss. Has a lot of talent, but he has the weight issue again, apparently he is 60 lbs overweight. Should a player in that state with that lack of discipline be given a starting spot? 

Jordan Reed? Rambo benched and then earned his way back....

Mike is the one that stated he wanted consistency in his lineup, not me.  He seems to only grade backups in practice, never in games. A lot of your examples have injuries factored in. Davis was injured when Reed came to life. Rambo was only in for game 1 when Brandon was out, yanked when Brandon got healthy. Amerson gets reps but it is also a passing league. 

My point was about the OL.

We are in the middle of a rebuild, almost the worst team in the league, and Mike's focuses on practice performance, over simply giving small opportunities to the players he has invested time and resources into succeeding.

The OL has been atrocious all year. I don't give a rats ass how many tackles Morris has to break, how many college option plays we have to run, how many times we have to risk injury running RG3 in the read option, vaulting our offense to rankings among the leagues best. Our OL is failing the eye test and has all year. 

Fans can fathom that the backups suck since the starting OL set the bar so low; don't be mistaken.

Fans just can't fathom how they can possibly suck more than the starters, yet have retained their backup jobs for 2 seasons but not gotten a single snap this year. 

Fans also can't fathom seeing OL Mike has released, presumed worse than our backups, have starting jobs across the league.

Fans cannot fathom that we are more likely to see a backup OL in a pass pattern than tried to plug one of the 4 huge holes we have.

This fan cannot fathom that Mike would not want to have live game tape on his backups before the season ends. If he knows they will not be here next year, he was an idiot for retaining them.

I think his eye for OL sucks and its crushing this team.

Maybe we see a change this week?

I vote for Maurice Hurt (if healthy) to replace Chris Chester

I think you or I could replace Chris Chester and get similar results to what we saw when the Giants moved Tuck inside against him last week.

Seriously I doubt Hurt will be ready to start the same week he is activated - but if LeRibus or Gettis cant beat Chester out they must be really bad. Same for Compton over Polumbus.

But it happens all over the league due to injury.  They'd be able to work it out.  I don't think continuity is necessarily a reason to put up with ineffectiveness.  Maybe you don't switch 4 players the same week, but you can at least work them in over some games.  I mean, you've got to see if they can actually play.

Mike is the one that stated he wanted consistency in his lineup, not me.  He seems to only grade backups in practice, never in games. A lot of your examples have injuries factored in. Davis was injured when Reed came to life. Rambo was only in for game 1 when Brandon was out, yanked when Brandon got healthy. Amerson gets reps but it is also a passing league. 

My point was about the OL.

We are in the middle of a rebuild, almost the worst team in the league, and Mike's focuses on practice performance, over simply giving small opportunities to the players he has invested time and resources into succeeding.

The OL has been atrocious all year. I don't give a rats ass how many tackles Morris has to break, how many college option plays we have to run, how many times we have to risk injury running RG3 in the read option, vaulting our offense to rankings among the leagues best. Our OL is failing the eye test and has all year. 

Fans can fathom that the backups suck since the starting OL set the bar so low; don't be mistaken.

Fans just can't fathom how they can possibly suck more than the starters, yet have retained their backup jobs for 2 seasons but not gotten a single snap this year. 

Fans also can't fathom seeing OL Mike has released, presumed worse than our backups, have starting jobs across the league.

Fans cannot fathom that we are more likely to see a backup OL in a pass pattern than tried to plug one of the 4 huge holes we have.

This fan cannot fathom that Mike would not want to have live game tape on his backups before the season ends. If he knows they will not be here next year, he was an idiot for retaining them.

I think his eye for OL sucks and its crushing this team.

He's drafted OL more than any other position and he's got one player to show for it.  Frankly, I think if he hadn't personally drafted them, most of 'em would've been cut by now.  At least Lerebius, cuz if you can show up to camp 50-60 lbs overweight, as Cooley said,  and still keep your slot, that says something.

Archived