Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New Skinscast Episode – The bottom falls out

JimmiJo

http://web.skinscast.com/subcast/2013/11/27/new-skinscast-episode-the-bottom-falls-out/

skinscastbang.jpg

The game against San Francisco exposed a team that may be in the process of giving up on the year and the coach. What was unthinkable just a few weeks ago is now front and center; is this team about to make another change at the top?

It is not what anyone was after; but in the wake of poor effort and horrible execution; the specter of more change in Washington is front and center.

This week the boys discuss the collapse against the 49ers on national TV. They assess a horrific performance by Robert Griffin III and ask whether he is the man for the job right now.

And they wonder what the future holds for this coaching staff and roster.

Enjoy!

Reffkin spot on in his comments.Hindsite whatever he did say after the Seahawks playoff loss Shanahhan should have taken RG out before he injured himself worse then it was at time. And If RG's career and health was put in jeopardy and this is the result then Shanahhan should be fired.

Perhaps. Im not sure. But now I do feel last season was a fluck. And the NFL has figured us out.

Altho

Reffkin spot on in his comments.Hindsite whatever he did say after the Seahawks playoff loss Shanahhan should have taken RG out before he injured himself worse then it was at time. And If RG's career and health was put in jeopardy and this is the result then Shanahhan should be fired.

Perhaps. Im not sure. But now I do feel last season was a fluck. And the NFL has figured us out.

Although not sure of next season.Major change must occur on the offense.

As usual, Reffkin is completely over the top with his comments....the cupboard is bare nonsense...and how it's going to take years to rebulid, etc...   this is a year to year league....bad teams become contenders the following year....first year coaches win constantly.

But I dig where Reffkin's coming from. Short of the first four games, depending on RG's recovery, no way in blessed hell did I see this coming. Killing me.

This was standard sports radio fare; these days lot of people are going over the top with their comments and reactions. I'm not overly shocked, in fact I agreed with a few things. But overall, it was still over-the-top and I took it with a grain of salt.

However after watching the most recent game, the idea of starting Cousins (or even Grossman) is starting to gain traction with me. I don't like what I see from Griffin these days, and I don't think he gains from being out there when he clearly is struggling sensing the field or delivering the accurate passes needed. Moreover, Griffin's knee still affecting his mobility and elusiveness, so he's not going to be able to buy the time he needs. Frankly, I am beginning to think that --at this point in time-- the talent edge Griffin has enjoyed over his backups has temporarily become very narrow, and what was unthinkable before is now becoming worth consideration.

Still, I don't think is going to happen. Candidly, I think we are seeing the triumph of marketing over coaching. And I don't think this is Shannahan's call at this point. I suspect Snyder has been much more active regarding the Skins' QB decisions, than we've been led to believe. I'm sure he views Griffin his the number one marketing draw for this team, and doesn't want him sitting. So I hope Griffin doesn't get "David Carr'd" in the process.

That said, I can't know what's actually happening on the field, or in the locker-room. Perhaps the reality is that keeping Griffin in the game would be less damaging to his psyche then sitting him down. But I am concerned with how the team is gambling Griffin doesn't re-injure his knee while trying to hone his skills to the NFL level.

That said, I can't know what's actually happening on the field, or in the locker-room. Perhaps the reality is that keeping Griffin in the game would be less damaging to his psyche then sitting him down. But I am concerned with how the team is gambling Griffin doesn't re-injure his knee while trying to hone his skills to the NFL level.

I believe that sitting Robert would definitely be more damaging to his psyche than keeping him in the game. I argued with family members on Thanksgiving day that we should not sit Robert.  I don't think that Kirk will be any more successful than Robert, which would then hurt whatever trade value we already have for Kirk.  Better to keep Kirk on the bench than risk playing him and seeing his stock drop.  And Robert getting re-injured is always a risk, but if it happens it happens.  D-Rose sat out an entire year for the Bulls and just tore his meniscus.

I find it odd that the same impatient people who want RG3 benched now, wants Mike Shanahan to come back for year 5.

People are hitting the panic button way too early. It unfair to blame it all on RG3. It's coaching. He doesn't have enough time to look down the field anywhere. A poor offensive line for a 2nd year QB is what we are seeing. A train wreck.

I really don't know what RG3 can learn from this season. Besides sliding. Our team needs better direction from the coaching staff.

Mike42 -- While both Shanahan and Griffin are struggling, I don't see that temporarily benching a QB is the same as firing a head coach and likely all his staff.

While I'm not satisfied with all his results, I think Shanahan has made some progress, and probably enough to get his fifth season. I appreciate that not everyone shares this opinion, but at the start of the season, I recall there were many more who did.

As far as Griffin goes, I'm more wary. I still do see him as the long-term solution for the Skins franchise QB, but I worry that he might have a setback in his development, like Carr and Ramsey did when they they stayed in and tried to tough out being hammered by opposing defenses constantly blitzing.

That's because I feel that either Griffin's brace or his recovering knee is still affecting his footwork & passing, as well as the elusiveness he used to buy more time for receivers to get open. So I wonder how much value he's getting out of staying in when he's not 100%, and getting into desperate situations whee the defense is going to tee off on him. If he was healthy and struggling, I'd want to see him try gutting it out a few more games, but basing of of what I've seen, I'm not very confident whether the knee, etc., will hold up while the lessons are being administered. I'd save Griffin to fight another day, and get my money's worth out of Grossman and maybe a little bit out of Cousins.

Frankly, it's moot, because Shanahan is going to keep playing Griffin, and get him the game-time experience, even though the playoffs is not obtainable. This "toughing it out" is not like in the Seattle game, but sometimes I feel it's starting to get closer to being something like that.

I'm not panicking; I respected Shanahan's choice in going after Griffin and other choices he's made. But as an ES fan I exercise my given right to second-guess how he's handling Griffin, Davis, and others. But assuming Griffin gets healthy again, I think this team is headed in the right direction for 2014.

Archived