Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RG3 vs. Peyton Manning

PapaRora

Since hearing Mike Shanahan's press conference and his comment on other HOF QB's having a harder time than RG3 in their first few years, I decided to compare RG3's stats this year with Peyton Manning's first year. This is a valid comparison because this is technically RG3's first year as a pocket passer.

Peyton          RG3

Games           16.00          11.00

Att                   575.00       399.00

Compl             326.00       239.00

%                     56.70%      59.90%

Att / Gm           35.94          36.27

Yards               3,739.00    2,841.00

Yards / Gm       233.69       258.27

TD                    26.00          14.00

Int                     28.00          11.00

TD / Gm            1.63            1.27

Not bad right! Then I asked if RG3's stats are inflated because of garbage time offense. In order to see this comparison, I went to the following website and checked the box scores for each of Peyton Manning's game in his first season. And as expected, his team was often also playing catch up, and as such you can expect that his stats are comparably inflated due to playing catch up.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/game_query.cgi?qb=MannPe00

I know everyone wants to start Kirk Cousins, and I have been rooting for this as well, but maybe Shanahan has a point. One thing I think everyone on this board can agree on is that he has the talent and the attitude to get it done..question remains if he's mentally smart enough. Answer as Shanahan says is simply repetition and film study. I know this season did not go as intended, but maybe we shouldn't lose the confidence of our franchise guy amidst this season. We should back him up through these tough times so when good times come back, he cherishes this fan base.

Give the stats for each sophomore year if your going to compare stats. Just because you think it's ok to compare a sophomore year to a rookie year doesn't mean everyone will. If your gonna make a thread about stats at least keep them consistent with both players years.

Can we as fans support RG3 by not comparing him to Brady Luck and Peyton right now, its just going to set us all up for fail.  Lets just be happy he is running and out there after that ACL LCL

Just as soon as some fans stop putting Luck in the same category as Brady and Manning lol

Stats can be so misleading, how many qb's posted similar stats in there 1st or 2nd year and arent even in the league right now?  Peyton is Peyton based on what he's done over his career.  I hope RG3 can have a long and successful career with this team, and after its all said and done if the passing stats dont compare it will be ok, as long as we get more Superbowl wins lol.

Manning's splits by half don't actually show what I'd expect for garbage time stats.  He actually had better 1st half numbers over the course of the season than 2nd half ones vs. Griffin does better in the 2nd half (garbage time) as compared to the 1st half.

The other thing is that Manning's stats show actually what you'd expect for a young QB that was learning.  He was awful in the beginning.  He had a 52.1 rating in Sept with 3 TDs to 11 Int.  In fact, in each of his 1st 4 games, he had more Ints than TDs.

Every other month he had a rating over 70 and Dec. was his best month with an 85.1.  If you ignore those first 4 games, 23 TDs and 17 Ints.

Maybe Griffin will turn it on in Dec, but so far he doesn't appear to be showing the same pattern coming off of one of his worse two games.

Manning's splits by half don't actually show what I'd expect for garbage time stats.  He actually had better 1st half numbers over the course of the season than 2nd half ones vs. Griffin does better in the 2nd half (garbage time) as compared to the 1st half.

The other thing is that Manning's stats show actually what you'd expect for a young QB that was learning.  He was awful in the beginning.  He had a 52.1 rating in Sept with 3 TDs to 11 Int.  In fact, in each of his 1st 4 games, he had more Ints than TDs.

Every other month he had a rating over 70 and Dec. was his best month with an 85.1.  If you ignore those first 4 games, 23 TDs and 17 Ints.

Maybe Griffin will turn it on in Dec, but so far he doesn't appear to be showing the same pattern coming off of one of his worse two games.

This is ridiculous. You can't ignore an entire month of football to try and prove a point lol

People seem to forget a torn ACL isn't a minor thing to overcome. Add that knee injury to this only being his 2nd season, I don't know why anyone was expecting greatness. The coaching staff isn't making things any easier, since Morris should be running the ball 25+ times a game, yet they stray from that every game. They should'be gradually brought him along, rode Morris' back, and allowed RG3 to fully heal. 

Manning had a foundation in a pro-style passing attack.  RGIII does not.  Manning was allowed to develop while playing a down field aggressive style.  RGIII is still playing a college based offense, the injury, and the pressure to win, has set back any timetable on his development as a passer.   I don't think any statistically comparison would shed light on RGIII's ability, ultimately, to develop into a franchise type passer.  

through his first 26 games Peyton was  11-15

Robert is 12-14 ... 

Of course, they got to those records in opposite fashion ... Peyton losing a lot at first as opposed to Robert losing a lot his second year. 

Manning's 1999 Colts had 5 Pro Bowlers .. .

Just as soon as some fans stop putting Luck in the same category as Brady and Manning lol

I'd trade tannehill, kaep, Wilson, and Cam for Luck and I'd get the better end of the deal.  I'd also straight up trade Peyton Manning or Brady for Luck.  Those dudes are slowing down Luck is just getting hot.  I love how he loses like one game and people pile on.  Has he even lost two games in a row yet?

The dude is fast can make every throw and reads defenses and is like a rock.   I don't understand the Luck hate.

Happy Holidays

The comparisons are not being made to suggest that RG3 is the next Peyton Manning. The comparison is being made to show even great legends took a few bad years before becoming great. A lot of fans are calling for Kirk and labeling this RG3 trade poor but Shanahan's right. He needs more playing time and more faith from fans for the time being. Also Shanahan's confidence speaks volumes to the ability of RG3. He has seen a lot of great QB's and though he may have recruited bad QB's, I.e McNabb, Beck but he recognized and corrected those mistakes right away and without any ego.

Archived