Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN 980 Sports Fix: Why aren't Redskins players helping RGIII off the ground?

Boss_Hogg

Listening to the Sports Fix with Kevin Sheehan and Thom Loverro.

One play they mentioned occurred late in the game when Aldon Smith blew by Trent Williams and decked RGIII for a sack. Trent stood pat and watched as Robert laid on the ground like roadkill. Aldon Smith then turned around and helped Robert back to his feet.

Are these talking heads making a mountain out of a mole hill? Perhaps. After all, the 49ers defensive players were in the backfield more than the Skins offensive linemen. Perhaps it was just a matter of being physically closer to RGIII while he was on the ground? Or maybe they simply felt sorry for him?

It's going to be interesting on Sunday Night. Justin Tuck and JPP are going to destroy the line and get their sacks. What happens afterwords will be telling.

Personally I didn't see some those plays so I cannot confirm if this is true or just media BS. I was in section 114 behind some obnoxious drunk who kept talking about macking on women.

Again this could be two blowhards just trying to create news so take it with a grain of salt.

I thought about the same thing while at the game but i do think there is friction between him and the Oline.  This line peaked last year.  Their talent is D+ material.  They played like B+ students last year and this year they have reverted back to their original talent levels.  i think there is frustration by the offense as a whole because there is no time for plays to develop and take the necessary deep shots to make this offense work

I'll tell you why they weren't helping Robert up. Because more times then not they were picking their own worthless butts off the ground. I have never seen an O-line destroyed like that over the course of an entire game.  Half the time they were pushed down to the ground by one on one matchups. It was a travesty out there.

Half this O-line are back up players on any other team. They looked like CFL players out there.

I actually said the same thing a few weeks ago. I remember one instance last week or two weeks ago.

RG3 was hit and was on the ground his helmet was off, and I see his team mate kicked his helmet.

I think this was last week's last minute INT by the eagles.

But I have noticed that they are not helping him back up.

John Gruden said last night the Redskins have the smallest O-line in the NFL, no damn wonder they can't protect Griffin. He enters the NFC East, known for being physical and flat out dog fights for the division crown, and puts together the smallest O-line in the league. Now I'm really starting to think Mike Shanahan's coaching days are far behind him, that is just foolish!

This is such a non-story that it's ridiculous.

Brady sacked 5 times and only helped up once.  Clearly 4 players on his o line secretly hate him!

Clearly Brady was holding on to the ball too long and needed to get the ball out quicker to his hot read as some in here on ES suggest that RG3 should do. These sacks are solely on Brady because he had far more time than RG3 to get rid of the ball!!! And you mean to tell me that virtually NO ONE helped the great Tom Brady up? WOW!!! They really don't care for him!!!

I was being sarcastic by the way.............this is such a non story. It starting to seem that EVERYTHING with RG3's name attached to it becomes something negative or some people trying to make more of something than it really is. The sad thing is many who where fans of his last year, are taking the opportunity to join in this foolishness. It's very sad. Great post though.

This is such a non-story that it's ridiculous.

Brady sacked 5 times and only helped up once.  Clearly 4 players on his o line secretly hate him!

It shows me rg3 needs to learn how to take a hit.  Brady was hit hard once out of 5.  Seems like rg3 gets killed every time.

Mike Shahahnas small (relative) agile linemen worked really well i zone blocking in Denver and still here in DC.  But when you are training a fragile young QB to be a pocket passer, you need beef.  If Shahahan gets a crack at year 5 he should be required to have a plan in place to change his thinking and get some NFL linemen. Just imagine AlMo  in a jumbo formation in weather like this!

Mike Shahahnas small (relative) agile linemen worked really well i zone blocking in Denver and still here in DC.  But when you are training a fragile young QB to be a pocket passer, you need beef.  If Shahahan gets a crack at year 5 he should be required to have a plan in place to change his thinking and get some NFL linemen. Just imagine AlMo  in a jumbo formation in weather like this!

-----------------------------------------------------

I was thinking the same thing....   however with 32 teams in the league, someone is going to have the smallest Oline.  Doesn't always mean the coach has made a huge mistake.  You want beef, but you also want strong Olinemen which won't always be your heaviest/less mobile.  I say we trade Cousins ASAP to get a 2nd rounder hopefully, and depending on what we pickup in FA, look at an OL or CB or WR.  Pick up an average backup late in the draft OR pick up one cheap in FA.   There will be a team out there to bite on Cousins (Browns, Cardinals, Raiders, Titans, Vikings, Steelers,  Bucs, Jags) would all be logical possibilities.  Hell, maybe we could even work out a deal for a solid vet OL + a late draft pick for Cousins.  We need to take care of RGIII, cut ties with Cousins just in case he is part of RGIIIs mental instability (always worried Cousins will out do him if given another fair shot.)  

In the NFL you can have a sucky WR depth OR a bad Oline, but never both.  That equation equals what we're seeing this season. As much as I'd want to spend the majority of our FA money and draft picks on defense, I believe our defense has been given the short end of the stick this season.  HERE IS WHY:

Our offense has turned the ball over so many times this year compared to last, not only that but our average starting field position (because of special teams) has been horrid.  Our D has been put in so many drives where the opposing O starts at midfield, and they've had to be out there for more drives because of our turnovers.  Yeah we need a new defensive coordinator, but when you take into account the factors that the defense doesn't have control over, I believe our statistical grading is a bit skewed compared to what our D had to work with last season.

Keep Shanny, Keep Kyle, fire Haslet, Trade Cousins, focus on pass protection, WRs, a couple pieces on the defensive side of the ball, a couple special team aces, and a new punter and we got ourselves a playoff contender.

I think Pro Football Talk went back and looked and an OL helped RG3 up on only 3 out of 26 sacks this year, for what that's worth.   

Doesn't say anything about the bajillion times he's picking himself up from getting hit.  Could be 99 out of 100 for all we know.  

But anecdotally, I've had Eagle fans and Patriot fans I know that when they watch Redskins games have noticed opponents are always the one picking him up.  So it's obviously happening to the point where it's noticeable.  And Loverro's point yesterday was sound, that if all the sudden there's a OL around him every time he hits the ground against the Giants, you'll know there was some truth to it.

John Gruden said last night the Redskins have the smallest O-line in the NFL, no damn wonder they can't protect Griffin. He enters the NFC East, known for being physical and flat out dog fights for the division crown, and puts together the smallest O-line in the league. Now I'm really starting to think Mike Shanahan's coaching days are far behind him, that is just foolish!

You got an AFC West guy coming to the NFC East thinking he can do the exact same stuff.  He's coached a long time, I can't fault him for thinking his way is sound and has proven to work, but you gotta adapt.  And I think if it weren't for Kyle, Mike would be even more set in his ways.  Mike probably would've never thought of using the read option.  

You got an AFC West guy coming to the NFC East thinking he can do the exact same stuff.  He's coached a long time, I can't fault him for thinking his way is sound and has proven to work, but you gotta adapt.  And I think if it weren't for Kyle, Mike would be even more set in his ways.  Mike probably would've never thought of using the read option.  

I don't know what AFC West vs. NFC East has to do with anything. Denver is a cold weather town, and Mike built his teams on strong running games and a WCO passing game.  

The second part, I agree with. Mike would not have thought of using the pistol or RO by himself.  It think Kyle did that.  

What's odd is the dichotomy of the two season.  Last year, Kyle was the golden-child because of the offense he "invented" that got Robert going.  And it was copied by the 49ers, Panthers, and Seattle by mid-season.  But the 'Skins were first with all of that stuff.  

This year, the whole crew can't get out of their own way. The plan and game calling against the 49ers was cringe-worthy. 

Probably don't want to fatigue their arm muscles from all of the repetition

I know it was supposed to be funny, but being the smallest offensive line unit in the entire NFL, I wonder how tired they get having to defend against units bigger than them every play, week-in-and-week-out.

Archived