Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The call that swung the momentum toward the 49ers favor

Run_n_gun10

As bad as the game was last night, we were only down four points heading into the second half.  This either indicates that the 49ers weren't playing their best in the first half or that our coaches have absolutely no ability to counter adjustments that opposing coaches make following halftime. We have seen this inability to counter adjustments made by opposing coaches throughout this whole season. I could literally call out each time we were running a screen and im not even a def. coordinator in the nfl. IMO though the one call that swung the game in the 49ers favor was the decision to go for it on fourth and two at the 49ers 45 yard line. There was still 12 minutes left in the third quarter and we couldve pinned the 49ers offensive deep in their own territory, but instead we gave the 49ers a short field and the momentum. Again we were only down four points.

I liked the call to go for it and hated the play also...  On 4th and 2 or 3, I really prefer plays with options (rollouts, combo routes, etc).  To me, this speaks volumes to the confidence they have in the QB to make a play in that situation.  His misses of hot receivers on full blitzes probably left the Shannys with some concerns...

It's a 10-6 defensive game and we FINALLY had the chance, for the first time this season, to win the field position battle and pen in our opposition. 

We decided to act like we have a competent offense and go for it. And we called a straight handoff to Roy Helu Jr. with Aldrick Robinson as the lead blocker. 

You're right but to be honest the Niners unzipped and only pulled out what they needed to to beat the Skins last night.

They didn't play great and cruised to a road win.

A punt there instead of going for it only manipulates the score slightly but doesn't change the ultimate outcome.

Yea the play they called was horrible, especially when you have a semi-mobile quarterback who can put pressure on defenses by either rolling out or calling a bootleg. I still think it was the wrong call in that situation considering the score and the amount of time left in the game. The decision to go for it in that situation made it seem like the 49ers were just marching up and down field on us and we needed to do whatever we could not to give them the ball back

I have no problem with the decision.  

But the play call cost me my third remote of the season.  (I have decided to buy stock in some company that makes remotes, because I'll keep them in business all by myself with the 'Skins are playing.)

As bad as the game was last night, we were only down four points heading into the second half.  This either indicates that the 49ers weren't playing their best in the first half or that our coaches have absolutely no ability to counter adjustments that opposing coaches make following halftime. We have seen this inability to counter adjustments made by opposing coaches throughout this whole season. I could literally call out each time we were running a screen and im not even a def. coordinator in the nfl. IMO though the one call that swung the game in the 49ers favor was the decision to go for it on fourth and two at the 49ers 45 yard line. There was still 12 minutes left in the third quarter and we couldve pinned the 49ers offensive deep in their own territory, but instead we gave the 49ers a short field and the momentum. Again we were only down four points.

Just a suggestion, I'd change the title of the thread to be more indicative about the "discussion" that will take place here.  Make it clear that it's not a thread about the officiating.

Which was horrid, again.  But in no way the reason why we lost. 

It's a 10-6 defensive game and we FINALLY had the chance, for the first time this season, to win the field position battle and pen in our opposition. 

We decided to act like we have a competent offense and go for it. And we called a straight handoff to Roy Helu Jr. with Aldrick Robinson as the lead blocker. 

I'll counter with this...

When your offense had shown the ability to only score 6 points in an entire half, you have to do what you can to maximize your opportunities to score. Fourth down from their 40 was our last decent shot to get a TD in that game.

To counter your argument we had two chances to get a touchdown in the first half. The first time we had a chance Paulsen couldn't secure a pretty simple grab, that would have gave us a first down and the ball inside the ten yard line. The second time we had horrible time management, which has been a pretty common theme with the redskins. Our offense was showing the ability to move the ball in the first half, they just werent finishing it off with touchdowns. 

I'll counter with this...

When your offense had shown the ability to only score 6 points in an entire half, you have to do what you can to maximize your opportunities to score. Fourth down from their 40 was our last decent shot to get a TD in that game.

We had bottled up their running game and just missed at least 3 INTs that I can remember.

If we punt and (somehow luckily) down it inside their 10, a turnover would have been our best chance to score last night.

I agree with many of you. The decision was fine but the play called was baffling.

My biggest complain about Kyle Shanahan is that he often overthinks the type of play needed in a given situation.

In other words, he's gets too cute instead of sticking with the basic when crucial yards are needed.

I agree with that assessment to a degree, part of me likes that we were aggresive and went for it there, but i did not like the play that was called in.  But i thought the worst play calls were the first series 3 and out, no runs to Alfred Morris on a cold night like that, just to start off, and get the offensive line going and put a hat on someone. If you look at that first play action, watch Morris as he cuts it up, there are some yards there to be had, and its an easier play to get to Oline warmed up.

To counter your argument we had two chances to get a touchdown in the first half. The first time we had a chance Paulsen couldn't secure a pretty simple grab, that would have gave us a first down and the ball inside the ten yard line. The second time we had horrible time management, which has been a pretty common theme with the redskins. Our offense was showing the ability to move the ball in the first half, they just werent finishing it off with touchdowns. 

We finally moved the ball a couple times to close out the half. That's true. Still, when you are gifted the ball on their side of the field and you've struggled to score as we have, you have to strike while the iron is hot. By your logic, gaining 10 yards in 4 plays should have been relatively reasonable, right?

We finally moved the ball a couple times to close out the half. That's true. Still, when you are gifted the ball on their side of the field and you've struggled to score as we have, you have to strike while the iron is hot. By your logic, gaining 10 yards in 4 plays should have been relatively reasonable, right?

I see what you're saying, but after your defense just gave you the ball near midfield and you fail to even pick up one first down, you punt the ball on fourth. 

Going for it was absolutely the right decision. It is troubling that some of you don't understand that strategy.

The problem was that it was a terrible play call.

How can you say it was absolutely the right decision? We dont have a stud defense, so why put them in a position where they would have to defend such a short field so early in the second half while only being down four.

The numbers say to go for it there. 4th down and 2 inside the opponent's 50, can't kick a FG, a punt nets you like 20 yards of field position. The play call was bad, but the decision to go for it was smart.

More and more teams are going for it on 4th down. You gotta be aggressive to win in today's NFL.

I thought this was going to about the officials and I was gonna get cranky.

I liked the decision to go for it there.

The play call on the other hand? Pathetic.

I agree with the OP.  That was not the time to be "aggressive".  Down by 4, close game, field position is huge and the Skins hadn't wont that battle all year.  Punt the F'ing ball and pin them back in their own territory.   The defense was playing pretty well at that point so let them continue that.  I thought the decision did give the 49ers momentum with the short field.

That said the 49ers are just a much better team all the way around.  So, I'm sure the Skins still would lost even if they had punted there.

How can you say it was absolutely the right decision? We dont have a stud defense, so why put them in a position where they would have to defend such a short field so early in the second half while only being down four.

Math.

Again, terrible play call, right decision.

You know that would have been the one time Rocca blasted the punt 50+ yards for a touchback so we would have had a net gain of 25 yards of field position anyway. 

I liked going for it but the Helu/Robinson play call mess was a disaster. 

Going for it was absolutely the right decision. It is troubling that some of you don't understand that strategy.

The problem was that it was a terrible play call.

It's the right decision if you're a good team with a really good defense.

I agree the play call sucked, but playing it safe considering the time left and the score, I think, would have been the better decision.

I agree with the OP.  That was not the time to be "aggressive".  Down by 4, close game, field position is huge and the Skins hadn't wont that battle all year.  Punt the F'ing ball and pin them back in their own territory.   The defense was playing pretty well at that point so let them continue that.  I thought the decision did give the 49ers momentum with the short field.

That said the 49ers are just a much better team all the way around.  So, I'm sure the Skins still would lost even if they had punted there.

We needed TDs and that was a chance to actually create rhythm and confidence as well as put up points. And we were only gonna hold them down so long.

The ball was on the 41. People can talk about "pinning them deep" all they want, but usually what happens is the ball goes into the end zone, or gets fair caught at the 15 and then you've passed up a chance at a scoring drive for 20-25 yards of field position.

Have the Redskins "pinned" ANYONE inside their 20 all year long? At best that punt would have netted 25 yards. At worst, Rocca has one of his seizure punts, or its blocked or the Niners return it way past their 45. Not to mention we are 3-7 with nothing to lose. Im 100% okay with the decision to go for it there.

Any opportunity to keep special teams off the field should be taken.

You're right but to be honest the Niners unzipped and only pulled out what they needed to to beat the Skins last night.

This is called pulling a Milton Berle.  Seriously.  That's what they call it. 

I thought the momentum changer was the challenge we lost but the failed 4th down conversion was bad too. 

We needed TDs and that was a chance to actually create rhythm and confidence as well as put up points. And we were only gonna hold them down so long.

The ball was on the 41. People can talk about "pinning them deep" all they want, but usually what happens is the ball goes into the end zone, or gets fair caught at the 15 and then you've passed up a chance at a scoring drive for 20-25 yards of field position.

Starting field positon for the 49ers three touchdown drives.

1. Sf 39 yard line after rg3's horrible interception
  2. Sf 40 yard line after the failed 4th down
  3. Wsh 39 yard line after a good punt return(i think, dont remember how they started there)

Yea we might have not been able to hold them down the whole game, but why would we help them. 

Archived