Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Shanahan Officially On Hot Seat. More About Him Not Robert . . .

Newera

While Robert has played poorly this season. Yessterday's game was not on him. He was absolutely mauled by the worst offensive line performance I have ever seen. Trent was schooled yesterday and it was clearly his worst game as a pro. But the question is who put together this pathetic offesive line. Well thats on Shanahan. He gave us Polumbus and Lichtensteiger from his days in Denver. He gave us Haslett and forced the 3-4 on a top ten 4-3 defense. It is time for a change at head coach. Period.

Ok so my wording was a little misleading. But you ignored my first point which was that playing Cousins will allow RG3 to fully heal instead of getting slaughtered behind an Offensive line that, quite frankly, is 80% useless in pass protection. I honestly don't think Cousins is that great, but driving up his trade value IS the right move. Please do not lump me in with the "play the back up" people.

How will playing Kirk Cousins behind this line, with these receivers and this play calling improve his trade value? Instead of people actually acknowledging the problems with our talent level they're now ****ing about the QBs dad being in the locker room. I bet you if Robert would've said "I" and "me" all week would've come right out and kick the 49ers ass don't you? Sounds pretty stupid huh?

What about this offense, and the line specifically, says to you that Cousins would do better?

The interior push from opposing d lines is obscene.

Starting Cousins over a healthy RG3 is scorched earth policy for a regime on it's way out.

This isn't a lackadaisical Campbell being spotted by journeyman Todd Collins here.

RG3 is playing bad but he was ROTY, he rehabbed an ACL in one offseason for this team, would you really do him like that?

If anything Shanahan's response to "the injury" has been weak and disastrous. (On top of being mostly to blame for it)

The call was either:

1. Start Cousins until RG3 was 100% or

2. Play RG3 in the preseason.

Seems like coaches and players are quitting on each other but by all means let's blame RG3 b/c it's fun.

Part of me wants to see this so the Shanaheads and Kissing Cousins can go get ******.

How will playing Kirk Cousins behind this line, with these receivers and this play calling improve his trade value? Instead of people actually acknowledging the problems with our talent level they're now ****ing about the QBs dad being in the locker room. I bet you if Robert would've said "I" and "me" all week would've come right out and kick the 49ers ass don't you? Sounds pretty stupid huh?

Jesus, man. Again you are taking out some aggression you have for others on me. I am honestly a huge RG3 supporter (you wouldn't know this since I am new and don't have a ton of posts to reference). And I get the argument that you have to let RG3 play for him to grow as a QB; however, at this stage, he is getting KILLED out there. I'm talking on 80% of pass plays. What, exactly, is the point of leaving him out there in a lost season if he is undoubtedly our QB going forward? Maybe Cousins won't do better, maybe he will. But at this point when you have a guy who takes tons of hits, coming off major surgery, playing for a dead-in-the-water team, you need to protect him. 

Looking forward to you projecting on me in your response.

First Matt Flynn was traded to Oakland. Secondly, Jon Gruden was making a case to keep Mike Shanahan because Gruden stated,"Be careful what you wish for because a new coach might like Kirk Cousins more than RG3. Gruden was saying the Redskins have an offense that caters to RG3 right now. If they hire a coach that is going to be the prerequisite for that coach to find an offensive coordinator that is going to work with RG3 not against him as an offensive weapon.

Gruden is an idiot for saying this.

You dont trade away 2 first round picks and have a guy who won OROY and bring in a coach who prefers the backup. Idiotic thinking from a man who was an overrated coach.

Dan knows the reason we are where we are is because of the oline and defensive secondary. Period. The cap hit did not allow us to address either, for 2 years.

If you're going to blame Shanny you also need to blame Allan and Snyder. They were the ones that brough attention to Haynesworth and Hall contracts.

For the love of God, Shanny is not the problem or on the hot seat. He is a proven winner.

And so it goes....

Personally I think getting rid of Mike Shanahan or his son would be a mistake.  We have a top ten offense in spite of our deficiencies like OL and second reciever....so that part isn't broken. However defense under Haslett has been dismal for all 4 years and ST hasn't been that good either.  The best hope would be to have some continuity by keeping the Shanahans but forcing Mike to hire a new defensive co-ordinator and let that guy pick his assistants.  Like wise find a new special teams coach.

Hiring a new head coach is a crap shoot.  Just look around the league and you see most new head coaches not making it.  Coaches like Joe Gibbs don't come around very often and you usually have to keep changing them until you hit the jackpot.  The guy in Tampa was hot last year...this year he's on the hot seat and could be fired.  Snyder could choose to go after Briles from Baylor to appease his star RG3 but I have doubts that Briles can cut it in the NFL.

Keep both Shanahans and the rest of the offensive coaching staff...but totally overhaul the rest.

Gruden is an idiot for saying this.

You dont trade away 2 first round picks and have a guy who won OROY and bring in a coach who prefers the backup. Idiotic thinking from a man who was an overrated coach.

Maybe that "idiotic" guy assumed that the Redskins would attempt to hire the most qualified candidate and allow him to make decisions he's supposed to make. I know that's not how things are typically done around here, but that's how most organizations hire key personnel.

It would be a mistake and follow the same flawed thinking to handicap a head coach by imposing on him which players will play and which ones will not.

Leaving him out there to be slaughtered isn't helping with his development. The game is obviously too fast for him and it will not be corrected during the rest of the season. We will end up with another shell shocked Patrick Ramsey if we aren't careful.

Disagree. This is the same offense that put up 40+ points against the Bears and is a top 10 ranked offense in terms of total yardage. I also disagree the game is too fast for him - he is out of rhythm and lacking confidence in what he is seeing which is leading to him holding the ball on occasions. My view is the best way to get him back into his zone and to develop his ability to read and get the ball out quickly is live action.

We have seen what a poor substitute for actual playing time 'mental reps' are already in regards to RGIII.  

The Shanahans seem either unwilling or incapable of coming up with a game plan to simplify the offense or slow the game down for RG3.

They just keep jamming their scheme down his throat week after week getting him killed in the process.

I am not suggesting throwing 14 passes to the RB ala John Beck but they should be able to devise a plan to keep the constant pressures and hits from occurring at an alarming rate.

After the first four weeks any decent coach would have acknowledged the fact that RG3's knee was not healed enough, his confidence in the knee wasn't high enough and that missing the whole offseason and preseason really set his progression in the offense back.

They should have either puled the plug after the by week and put Cousins in or stripped the offense down to favorable plays that RG3 could execute.

The Mike and Kyle show appears to trump the franchise QB and the team.

Robert's time in DC is over if you bench him.

That's the truth.

So if you're prepared for that, well by all means, put Kirk in the game.

Give me a break!  There’s been a million QB’s benched this year and in the past that are way better (at the moment) than RG3.  QB’s get benched based on performance and when they don’t, you lose the team.  Ponder, Schaub come to mind right now.  You have to make the change if he’s not playing well becauseTHAT IN ITSELF IS A LEARNING LESSON FOR A QB!!!  By not benching him you are doing him an injustice.  Harsh but thats the way it is. 

Maybe that "idiotic" guy assumed that the Redskins would attempt to hire the most qualified candidate and allow him to make decisions he's supposed to make. I know that's not how things are typically done around here, but that's how most organizations hire key personnel.

It would be a mistake and follow the same flawed thinking to handicap a head coach by imposing on him which players will play and which ones will not.

Sorry, but no. Griffin is 23 and one of the most talented QBs in history (talent including brains, heart and work ethic). There are enough good coaching candidates out there that if one tells me he doesn't want Griffin, we can move on to another one. There is just no reason to hire a coach who wants to go another direction.

Jesus, man. Again you are taking out some aggression you have for others on me. I am honestly a huge RG3 supporter (you wouldn't know this since I am new and don't have a ton of posts to reference). And I get the argument that you have to let RG3 play for him to grow as a QB; however, at this stage, he is getting KILLED out there. I'm talking on 80% of pass plays. What, exactly, is the point of leaving him out there in a lost season if he is undoubtedly our QB going forward? Maybe Cousins won't do better, maybe he will. But at this point when you have a guy who takes tons of hits, coming off major surgery, playing for a dead-in-the-water team, you need to protect him. 

Looking forward to you projecting on me in your response.

It's frustrating to me. I understand what you're saying but again I don't agree with it. Benching him, whether it's to save him from injury or not will create an added circus this team simply doesn't need. I don't want to see him get hurt either but if we're benching our starting QB for fear of injury we have much bigger problems to deal with.

Sorry, but no. Griffin is 23 and one of the most talented QBs in history (talent including brains, heart and work ethic). There are enough good coaching candidates out there that if one tells me he doesn't want Griffin, we can move on to another one. There is just no reason to hire a coach who wants to go another direction.

It's a slippery slope. Is that only a rule for QB on this team? What if the new coach doesn't like Morris at a tailback? Is it OK for him to move on from the franchise's single-season rushing leader?

I just want to be done with the dysfunction. I don't really care which players succeed, as long as they eventually evolve into a consistent contending team.

It's a slippery slope. Is that only a rule for QB on this team? What if the new coach doesn't like Morris at a tailback? Is it OK for him to move on from the franchise's single-season rushing leader?

I just want to be done with the dysfunction. I don't really care which players succeed, as long as they eventually evolve into a consistent contending team.

Yes, it's only about QB. And you may mock it, but do you honestly think the Packers would hire a coach who didn't want Aaron Rodgers? How about the Colts and Luck?

It's common sense, frankly. You pick a coach to get the most of the resources you have. 

Yes, it's only about QB. And you may mock it, but do you honestly think the Packers would hire a coach who didn't want Aaron Rodgers? How about the Colts and Luck?

It's common sense, frankly. You pick a coach to get the most of the resources you have. 

I am not mocking your opinion, I just think it's the same mentality that has been here for years. Where does the mandate end? Is it OK for a coach to decide to bench Griffin at some point if he's struggling or does the owner/GM have a say in that too?

I think it's a dangerous way of doing business. That's all. In reality though, I don't truly believe there are too many candidates out there who wouldn't want a shot to coach Griffin. I just think GMs should be given full autonomy on player acquisition and coaches should be given full autonomy on who to play.

I am not mocking your opinion, I just think it's the same mentality that has been here for years. Where does the mandate end? Is it OK for a coach to decide to bench Griffin at some point if he's struggling or does the owner/GM have a say in that too?

I think it's a dangerous way of doing business. That's all. In reality though, I don't truly believe there are too many candidates out there who wouldn't want a shot to coach Griffin. I just think GMs should be given full autonomy on player acquisition and coaches should be given full autonomy on who to play.

Once again, it's not about not letting a coach or GM do what they want. It's about who you pick to be coach or GM.

Once again, it's not about not letting a coach or GM do what they want. It's about who you pick to be coach or GM.

Right. I don't think it's very different in concept. Why rule someone out who you otherwise really like because they have an different idea about the QB?

Patriot fans are probably happy that Belichick didn't have to agree to some "All in for Bledsoe" clause before taking over the team in 2000. He was a legitimate franchise QB at the time and had proven far more in this league than Griffin.

Right. I don't think it's very different in concept. Why rule someone out who you otherwise really like because they have an different idea about the QB?

Patriot fans are probably happy that Belichick didn't have to agree to some "All in for Bledsoe" clause before taking over the team in 2000. He was a legitimate franchise QB at the time and had proven far more in this league than Griffin.

The Bledsoe and Grffin situations aren't remotely comparable, but Belichick was most assuredly "all in" on Bledsoe until he got hurt.

Again, there are a LOT of good candidates out there. Why on earth would you choose one who would require you to basically blow everything up and start over when plenty of others wouldn't?

The Bledsoe and Grffin situations aren't remotely comparable, but Belichick was most assuredly "all in" on Bledsoe until he got hurt.

Again, there are a LOT of good candidates out there. Why on earth would you choose one who would require you to basically blow everything up and start over when plenty of others wouldn't?

All things being equal, you wouldn't. If you have your dream coach available and interested but he wants an open competition at QB, I don't think you pass him up. That's all I'm really saying.

BTW, off-topic, I love the signature. Hilarious sketch.

Belicheck was all in for Bledsoe until Bledsoe got hurt.

I've been kinda defending Mike and certainly defending Kyle for a while now, but I think their time here is over and it's probably for the best. 

Which makes Mike the most recent coach to fail under Snyder.

Damn depressing.

I think you'll know Shanny knows the writing is on the wall when he goes to Kirk sooner than later. He'll say it is to keep RG3 from taking too many shots or something, but it will really be about him trying to show the QB is part of the problem. And I could give a crap. The only thing that could make this season worse at this point is if RG3 suffers another bad injury.

As far as the next head coach... well, I would love if Danny hired a respected GM first. Something he has NEVER done since he purchased the team. And if it doesn't get the front office in order, I think you could see a repeat of the Zorn hiring -- where Danny was told no by a lot of the coaches he really wanted.

One last thing. The next coach will be expected to develop RG3. But he won't be beholden to him like Shanahan was. 

Archived