Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Shanahan Officially On Hot Seat. More About Him Not Robert . . .

Newera

Mike is probably now officially coaching for his tenure here in Washington.  The last two games have more than proven it.  In a weak division ripe for the taking, the team laid two eggs.  It all points to coaching.  This teams is over matched.  Particularly upfront.  Both sides of the ball.  Sunday's night game is critical for both Mike and Robert and their future.  Another bad offensive performance and I think Mike's loyalty to Robert will switch to survival mode.  He will realize . . .

HE COULD REALLY GET FIRED IF THE TEAM DOESN'T CLOSE WELL.

He and Kyle will have to make a calculated decision. Continue to ride unpolished RG3 with no guarantee of even being around next year with a team that is rapidly tanking.  Or, should they give Cousins a run to give the team a pulse -- some energy -- perhaps a different chemistry.  Or, as Boswel said in his column, "Gather Information."   Since that is where we are as an organization.

EVALUATION TIME.

You know, can Cousins play.   Can he play well enough to perhaps actually compete with Robert next year for the starting job?  And if so, why not.  Win it on the field.   Let the best man win.   I think Jon Gruden would approach it that way.  He almost implied it last night.

I think Mike has to at least approach the last month of the season with the attitude that, "No Job Is Safe."  That even includes Robert.  But more importantly, includes his job as well.  He has to be ballsy and take chances.  You win it on the field.  All players being judged equally.  Regardless of money or draft status.   Absolutely no one is above the team.

Bellichick was ballsy when he jettisoned the number one pick Bledsoe in favor of the less heralded Tom Brady. I guess you can say, he was right.

Pete Carroll gave Matt Flynn a crazy contract, then said "I'm starting Russell Wilson."   Then traded Flynn and ate some of the contract.  Sometimes you can't allow the bias of when someone was drafted or how much you're paying someone to affect your judgment.  That's when you become bias.  That's also when you make mistakes.   It’s not saying that Robert is not going to be good, or is not going to be our quarterback for the next ten years.  But, he’s not above competing for the position.  Certainly if you have another person that is capable.

The year we drafted Heath Shuler, ironically the best quarterback on the team was actually Trent Green.  He was even better than Ferrotte.  Norv finally got to him.  Took three years.  But we finally had our franchise quarterback.  He just happened to be the third quarterback.  It happens. Unfortunately, the team got sold and we lost him to free agency.  Skins luck. 

It doesn’t matter how you get him – just that you do get him.

Personally to me, here was Mike’s biggest mistake.  It was a mistake to let Robert dictate that he start the season.   He simply wasn’t ready.  83% healthy.  As Ahmad Brooks of the Niners said last night "He shouldn't really be out there."  Robert is not yet comfortable from the pocket and reading defenses. Holds ball too long.  Drifts.  Locks in.  He probably would have been better off actually sitting his first year.  Perhaps two.  You know, Aaron Rodgers model.  Plus, he could probably benefit watching Cousins because they play so differently.  Kirk plays faster. Comfortable dropping back.

Needless to say, he rushed back.  To think someone could come back from that injury, not play a down in pre-season, and could be capable in an opener is foolish.  That's called "Drinking the All In Kool-Aid."  Coaches shouldn't be drinking the Kool Aid.  They have to lead.  Mike was not leading. That decision easily cost the first quarter of the season.  That’s on Mike.  One of many head scratching decisions.  Not to mention, leaving Robert in against Seattle and allowing him to completely blow out his knee when it was obvious he wasn't productive.  Mike waits too late.  Slow to adjust.

The truth of the matter, sans Elway, Mike is a losing coach. An average coach.  Those are the facts.  Look how good Manning is making Fox look.  Elway was winning before Shanahan got there. Oh, by the way, the last time he had a good defense.

He’s got five games to perhaps get a year extension.  Let’s see what happens. Mike is quickly running out of time.  $35 million for this.  Dan has to be thinking.  

We are a bad football team this year no question. Almost everyone is playing for their jobs and coaching for them as well.

RGIII, Trent, Kerrigan, Morris, Garcon and Reed might be the only guys really 100% safe for next year.

I don't think the QB position is the real issue. The fundamentals of football are blocking and tackling - we are not very good at either. If you cant block and cant tackle pretty much everything else becomes a secondary issue.

Now why can't we block and tackle?

Part of the problem with the blocking is related to scheme and personnel. We have the lightest O'Line in the NFL and they are just physically not able to match up in pass protection and are also being blown backwards by inside pursuit against our running game. Outside of Trent (who is a stud) we don't have a linemen who would be a starter on a half way decent line (Monty might just sneak in). We selected these guys though because they are a fit for the ZBS we run (and were cheap in most cases) - so maybe the issues with blocking lead back to Shanny for his scheme choice and the personnel decisions that flow from that. Its time to switch up the running scheme a bit and get bigger and BETTER along the line from RG/LG/RT.

Poor tackling is a league wide issue but we are one of the worst teams at this in a league which is bad overall. I'm scratching my head a bit on the tackling. Its partly about individual players and execution, its partly about coaching (execution is partly about getting players to perform and holding them accountable if they dont) and its partly about personnel decisions. The lack of a true NT really hurts the defense IMO. Ultimately we need better talent on defense and better coaching - I expect a lot of changes on that side of the ball whatever happens with Shanny.  

RGIII will be fine IMO. He has not played as well as he or we would have liked and there is no question his development has been slowed by the time he missed this offseason. Making a switch to take a look at Cousins would only slow that development even further and given what we invested in RGIII (and his undoubted talent) we need to continue to invest the time remaining this year in his development. But whatever RGIII does until we get much better at the fundamentals of football its going to be hard to consistently compete.

First Matt Flynn was traded not cut

Mike is probably now officially coaching for his tenure here in Washington.  The last two games have more than proven it.  In a weak division ripe for the taking, the team laid two eggs.  It all points to coaching.  This teams is over matched.  Particularly upfront.  Both sides of the ball.  Sunday's night game is critical for both Mike and Robert and their future.  Another bad offensive performance and I think Mike's loyalty to Robert will switch to survival mode.  He will realize . . .

HE COULD REALLY GET FIRED IF THE TEAM DOESN'T CLOSE WELL.

He and Kyle will have to make a calculated decision. Continue to ride unpolished RG3 with no guarantee of even being around next year with a team that is rapidly tanking.  Or, should they give Cousins a run to give the team a pulse -- some energy -- perhaps a different chemistry.  Or, as Boswel said in his column, "Gather Information."   Since that is where we are as an organization.

EVALUATION TIME.

You know, can Cousins play.   Can he play well enough to perhaps actually compete with Robert next year for the starting job?  And if so, why not.  Win it on the field.   Let the best man win.   I think Jon Gruden would approach it that way.  He almost implied it last night.

I think Mike has to at least approach the last month of the season with the attitude that, "No Job Is Safe."  That even includes Robert.  But more importantly, includes his job as well.  He has to be ballsy and take chances.  You win it on the field.  All players being judged equally.  Regardless of money or draft status.   Absolutely no one is above the team.

Bellichick was ballsy when he jettisoned the number one pick Bledsoe in favor of the less heralded Tom Brady. I guess you can say, he was right.

Pete Carroll gave Matt Flynn a crazy contract, then said "I'm starting Russell Wilson."   Then cut Flynn and ate the contract.  Sometimes you can't allow the bias of when someone was drafted or how much you're paying someone to affect your judgment.  That's when you become bias.  That's also when you make mistakes.   It’s not saying that Robert is not going to be good, or is not going to be our quarterback for the next ten years.  But, he’s not above competing for the position.  Certainly if you have another person that is capable.

The year we drafted Heath Shuler, ironically the best quarterback on the team was actually Trent Green.  He was even better than Ferrotte.  Norv finally got to him.  Took three years.  But we finally had our franchise quarterback.  He just happened to be the third quarterback.  It happens. Unfortunately, the team got sold and we lost him to free agency.  Skins luck. 

It doesn’t matter how you get him – just that you do get him.

Personally to me, here was Mike’s biggest mistake.  It was a mistake to let Robert dictate that he start the season.   He simply wasn’t ready.  83% healthy.  As Ahmad Brooks of the Niners said last night "He shouldn't really be out there."  Robert is not yet comfortable from the pocket and reading defenses. Holds ball too long.  Drifts.  Locks in.  He probably would have been better off actually sitting his first year.  Perhaps two.  You know, Aaron Rodgers model.  Plus, he could probably benefit watching Cousins because they play so differently.  Kirk plays faster. Comfortable dropping back.

Needless to say, he rushed back.  To think someone could come back from that injury, not play a down in pre-season, and could be capable in an opener is foolish.  That's called "Drinking the All In Kool-Aid."  Coaches shouldn't be drinking the Kool Aid.  They have to lead.  Mike was not leading. That decision easily cost the first quarter of the season.  That’s on Mike.  One of many head scratching decisions.  Not to mention, leaving Robert in against Seattle and allowing him to completely blow out his knee when it was obvious he wasn't productive.  Mike waits too late.  Slow to adjust.

The truth of the matter, sans Elway, Mike is a losing coach. An average coach.  Those are the facts.  Look how good Manning is making Fox look.  Elway was winning before Shanahan got there. Oh, by the way, the last time he had a good defense.

He’s got five games to perhaps get a year extension.  Let’s see what happens. Mike is quickly running out of time.  $35 million for this.  Dan has to be thinking.  

First Matt Flynn was traded to Oakland. Secondly, Jon Gruden was making a case to keep Mike Shanahan because Gruden stated,"Be careful what you wish for because a new coach might like Kirk Cousins more than RG3. Gruden was saying the Redskins have an offense that caters to RG3 right now. If they hire a coach that is going to be the prerequisite for that coach to find an offensive coordinator that is going to work with RG3 not against him as an offensive weapon.

This isn't about RGIII? Really, most of your thread is about the QB position. Anyone who thinks Cousins would do anything behind this line is obviously not watching the same team I am. Now, I would like to see the game CALLED the way they called the game for Cousins in Cleveland last year. That was more of a typical Shanny in Denver offense and he looked great. Why Robert is only permitted to run the RO and the "College Gameday Offense" as Tirico put it is beyond me. Kirk Cousins has the same flaws most young QBs do with only seven quarters under his belt. He is less mobile than RGIII. You cannot put him into this mess. 

The game plan last night was a submission game plan. They basically acknowledged that they were not able to run their offense against the NIners D. Terrible, For the course of the last three weeks everyone should be playing for their jobs the rest of the way. 

The cap penalty is an issue. Young being out = no short yardage game. Reed out (and Davis in the dog house) = no second weapon on offense. No money for the defense = Josh Wilson still employed.

But, the cap penalty has nothing to do with the fact that this team is 11 games in and they have not played four quarters of football one F'in time. That is coaching.

This isn't about RGIII? Really, most of your thread is about the QB position. Anyone who thinks Cousins would do anything behind this line is obviously not watching the same team I am. Now, I would like to see the game CALLED the way they called the game for Cousins in Cleveland last year. That was more of a typical Shanny in Denver offense and he looked great. Why Robert is only permitted to run the RO and the "College Gameday Offense" as Tirico put it is beyond me. Kirk Cousins has the same flaws most young QBs do with only seven quarters under his belt. He is less mobile than RGIII. You cannot put him into this mess. 

The game plan last night was a submission game plan. They basically acknowledged that they were not able to run their offense against the NIners D. Terrible, For the course of the last three weeks everyone should be playing for their jobs the rest of the way. 

The cap penalty is an issue. Young being out = no short yardage game. Reed out (and Davis in the dog house) = no second weapon on offense. No money for the defense = Josh Wilson still employed.

But, the cap penalty has nothing to do with the fact that this team is 11 games in and they have not played four quarters of football one F'in time. That is coaching.

There is no doubt the coaching for this team is subpar but is it possible that they had to run the "college" offense because RG III is having difficulty seeing the field? I believe last night's game plan was what it was due to his limitations, can't see the field and holding on to the ball too long. All those quick screen's were easy reads and allowed him to get rid of the ball quickly.

Not playing four quarters is not coaching, that is effort.

Not making adjustments during the game...that is coaching.

Why do people keep bringing up Shanahan the Coach, but forget that he RUNS the entire football operations???

Firing him is not as simple as we're making it out to be. And do not even try to bring up Bruce Allen. Allen is a figurehead, a corporate shill, a schmoozer and is only here because Shanny said it was "ok" for him to be here. He does not have the brains to run a football operation.

Snyder needs to hire some consultants that know how to interview/hire/fire potential head of football operation candidates and then figure out how to proceed with Shanny. If Shanny cries like a **** about this, then so be it.

There is no doubt the coaching for this team is subpar but is it possible that they had to run the "college" offense because RG III is having difficulty seeing the field? I believe last night's game plan was what it was due to his limitations, can't see the field and holding on to the ball too long. All those quick screen's were easy reads and allowed him to get rid of the ball quickly.

If the only adjustments you can make to help your struggling QB and offense are running 15 WR screens then you either 1) aren't trying hard enough 2) don't know what you are doing

I would argue it is both... Especially in football, motivation comes from the coaching staff. It does not look like a motivated team. Thanks for reminding me about adjustments. We are not capable of making any. Literally, the only adjustments anyone on this board ever talks about is in reference to Gibbs I. You know why? Because we never counter punch to what the opponent does. 

I referenced this in another post... why doesn't this staff try the game plan they used in Cleveland last year for Kirk with RGIII? Remember the rollouts and boots to buy time? This is what we expected when RGIII was drafted and we haven't seen it at all. That seems like a way to counter the absence of a pocket. As is, you cannot expect him to read through progressions. Does he stay with his No. 1 too long? Probably, but having the pocket collapse on you and seeing no one open will mess with your FB IQ I guess. I agree with what was said at the end of the game last night... Everything looks forced on drives with this team and the big plays come when an athletic player is able to extend them and create, not by scheme. Think about it... how many times this year have you actually seen the QB take a snap, drop back, have time, hit an open man on a play, and have that receiver than turn up field and score? Not many.... not any. It is too hard with this team for a lot of reasons, but 11 games in the offense went from cutting edge in '12 to Zorn like in one season. Contribute a lot to Rob's health, but you are right when you remind us all that this staff does not adjust to what teams are taking away.

Short post for me, which is a rarity:

Shanahan is on the hot seat.  But SO much of this is on Robert, and the fact he's not playing well. It's making everything worse.

Last year, he played SO well, he covered up a lot of sins.  This year, he's exacerbating them. 

Having said that, the game plan yesterday offensively stunk.  The play calling stunk.  The execution stunk. The coaching stunk. 

And Mike is in charge of everything. So, ultimately, it's his fault. 

Dan knows the reason we are where we are is because of the oline and defensive secondary. Period. The cap hit did not allow us to address either, for 2 years.

If you're going to blame Shanny you also need to blame Allan and Snyder. They were the ones that brough attention to Haynesworth and Hall contracts.

For the love of God, Shanny is not the problem or on the hot seat. He is a proven winner.

Dan knows the reason we are where we are is because of the oline and defensive secondary. Period. The cap hit did not allow us to address either, for 2 years.

If you're going to blame Shanny you also need to blame Allan and Snyder. They were the ones that brough attention to Haynesworth and Hall contracts.

For the love of God, Shanny is not the problem or on the hot seat. He is a proven winner.

Lmao he hasn't won **** since he's been here. As a matter of fact, he hasn't won **** since the 90s.

I can't wait to see your reaction when we're 3-13 and Mike is shown the door

I'm actually going to disagree with you.  I think that RGIII had plenty of time to throw the ball MOST of the time.  There were a few times in the red zone and on 3rd and long where SF ran an 'all out blitz' and a few sacks sure but sometimes he had all day to throw.  He made HORRIBLE decisions as well throwing the ball down the field instead of taking the easy yardage.  It's like he was trying to make something happen instead of just moving the ball and keeping the offense on the field.  

That said, I LOVE RGIII and I think he can be the franchise QB but right now there are too many holes on offense and defense.  THe rest of your assessment is spot on but RGIII has to take a lot of blame here.

I've no doubt that if Shanahan had even a hunch that we'd be winning with Cousins then he'd play him and I'd be okay with it because I just want to win. But if he's not then I just have to trust that for whatever reason, Griffin is our best chance to win.

Perhaps it's all about the scheme as Gruden implied or maybe Cousins deserves his lowered draft status, I don't know. I've seen him look flawless against the Browns... I've seen him look pedestrian against a Bronco squad that was almost certainly playing soft coverage by that point in the game.

Regardless of Shanahans competence of running the team, you have to at least believe that he got this far by being able to evaluate offensive talent.

Also at some point players have to be held accountable for execution. I seem to recall Paulsen dropping a drive saving pass as well as Moss. Recall another play that TWO guys missed on that could have resulted in a TD. I will give anyone a pass that was buried on all those useless screen passes though. Are we afraid to throw mid range slant passes?

I think Mike wants to play Cousins and at this point should make the change (from a coaching perspective) to see how this offense runs.  However with all the questions in the media surrounding RGIII's leadership and what not, it's just going to create an even bigger media circus and will end up alienating RGIII. 

I'm sorry, but those last 2 sentences are simply preposterous. Mike Shanahan is not a proven winner. John Elway is a proven winner. Mike Shanahan was 5-11 before RG3. Mike Shanahan employs Jim Haslett, Keith Burns, and Kyle Shanahan to run his units, and those 3 gentlemen might be the worst coordinators in the ENTIRE league. Burns and Haslett should have been fired by week 4 (obviously he wasn't going to fire his son), and the fact that he retained their services goes to show that he is not capable of being a competent leader.

Robert's time in DC is over if you bench him.

That's the truth.

So if you're prepared for that, well by all means, put Kirk in the game.

I would have agreed with this statement a week ago, but after this game, I do not. Right now they should play Cousins. If he is good, they can actually get fair value for him in a trade. Additionally, it will 1) keep Robert from getting hurt while he fully heals and 2) wake him up. People forget that stud athletes have "yes" men surrounding them as soon as they show potential for being great. They don't face any real adversity until it is forced upon them. Benching RG3 might be a so-called "wake up call" and let him know that he is not bigger than the team he plays for.

By far the dumbest thing Shanahan ever did was draft Kirk Cousins. I have never seen a town so absolutely in love with the back up QB year after year. Wasn't this the same fanbase that said they knew a young QB needed time and they would take the lumps without calling for the back up? Yeah that lasted long lmao.

Making a switch to take a look at Cousins would only slow that development even further and given what we invested in RGIII (and his undoubted talent) we need to continue to invest the time remaining this year in his development.

Leaving him out there to be slaughtered isn't helping with his development. The game is obviously too fast for him and it will not be corrected during the rest of the season. We will end up with another shell shocked Patrick Ramsey if we aren't careful.

I would have agreed with this statement a week ago, but after this game, I do not. Right now they should play Cousins. If he is good, they can actually get fair value for him in a trade. Additionally, it will 1) keep Robert from getting hurt while he fully heals and 2) wake him up. People forget that stud athletes have "yes" men surrounding them as soon as they show potential for being great. They don't face any real adversity until it is forced upon them. Benching RG3 might be a so-called "wake up call" and let him know that he is not bigger than the team he plays for.

This is stupid. You don't bench a young QB to teach him a lesson. To redskins fans the only answer for the last twenty years has been "play the back up!". With a young QB it takes time and you don't abandon that philosophy to appease some impatient fans.

This is stupid. You don't bench a young QB to teach him a lesson. To redskins fans the only answer for the last twenty years has been "play the back up!". With a young QB it takes time and you don't abandon that philosophy to appease some impatient fans.

Ok so my wording was a little misleading. But you ignored my first point which was that playing Cousins will allow RG3 to fully heal instead of getting slaughtered behind an Offensive line that, quite frankly, is 80% useless in pass protection. I honestly don't think Cousins is that great, but driving up his trade value IS the right move. Please do not lump me in with the "play the back up" people.

There's no way you can start Cousins. That time has sailed. These professionals (Snyder, Mike, Kyle, Allen, RG3) needed to actually make the decision in training camp as to when he would play. My idea would have been have him sit until after bye week since we had an early bye. However, these professionals had other ideas, who knows what it was influenced by, but it hasn't helped.

There's no way you can start Cousins. That time has sailed. These professionals (Snyder, Mike, Kyle, Allen, RG3) needed to actually make the decision in training camp as to when he would play. My idea would have been have him sit until after bye week since we had an early bye. However, these professionals had other ideas, who knows what it was influenced by, but it hasn't helped.

As unlikely as it was, a Skins win last night would have put the team in contention for the Division. With the egg they laid, that scenario is out the window and the team can officially chalk this up as a lost year. The Shannies, Haslett, Burns, they're all lame duck coaches at this point, and clearly there is discord between the Shannies and RG3 so they have no motivation to protect him. That's why I want Cousins to play. Protect the investment (RG3).

Archived